Vintage Mooney Cowling Mod

6 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

The mods list for oil cooler relocation on the website says 67 models and up so that's why I called....That was the comments I received from LASAR...

? I like that David will work parts into his "kit".  I would prefer to have the relocation and clean front cowl.

I saw that too and inquired with them.  At first they said the same thing to me, but once I said I had a set of open baffles, they were willing to sell me the kit with the paperwork.  I would ask them again, if I were you.  I've seen pictures of other pre 67 E models with open baffles and the oil cooler relocation, so I'm not the only one to do it.

As far as open baffles with the 66 cowl, I haven't had any problem with cooling.  On a hot day this past summer right after completing the mod, I never saw cylinder head temps above 375°F.  That was at full power, on a hot day, climbing at 100 MPH, and was only on the #3 cylinder.  Keep in mind that it wasn't many hours after a tare down inspection, so the engine was in the middle of a break in period as well.  In cruise (at 6500 feet WOT 2500 RPM), most are below 300° and # 3 around 325°.

• Like 1

Hi Bob,

Now after seeing your pictures I could add a similar strip on my cowling along the rear baffle seal like yours. It wouldn't take much to do this. Think I'll try it in one piece and see how it turns out on mine.

Thanks,

David

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sabremech said:

Hi Bob,

Now after seeing your pictures I could add a similar strip on my cowling along the rear baffle seal like yours. It wouldn't take much to do this. Think I'll try it in one piece and see how it turns out on mine.

Thanks,

David

Dave, we were chasing a good flat surface for the baffle seals to seal against. You should be able to see the rub marks that mean the seal is touching. Probably 20 or 22 ga ss, whatever is handy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sabremech said:

We'll be getting yours looking good soon! I'm stocking parts for yours too! 

Please do!  Mine is only a few serial numbers away from Chris's so I know it will fit that way.  If he can't make it, mine is available :D.  Now where is that hammer to break a knee cap or two?

• Like 2

Ever look at the D'Shannon baffle kits for Beech? The top cowlings have a fiberglass piece that gets added to the ears of the cowling. These have a lip in them that the baffle seal rests in to create a better seal. Here is a picture, you can see the lip in the top of the picture.

cover.jpg

Those baffle kits are the single best mod you can do to an old V-tail other than the Io-550 STC!! I've done a few, they are cool, but take a bit of time tit correctly.

Im thinking of making a mold for the top plentum cover on our E, it still has the full doghouse. 

Would it be correct to say David your cowl won't work with the full doghouse? 

-Matt

7 hours ago, macosxuser said:

Ever look at the D'Shannon baffle kits for Beech? The top cowlings have a fiberglass piece that gets added to the ears of the cowling. These have a lip in them that the baffle seal rests in to create a better seal. Here is a picture, you can see the lip in the top of the picture.

cover.jpg

I have a friend of mine who worked for D'Shannon and I've seen the baffles first hand. They are very nice. I don't think I'm ready to invest the time and money to have custom baffle seals made. I'm sure they would help some in cooling our engines, but not sure how much and if it's worth investing that money. 

4 hours ago, MB65E said:

Those baffle kits are the single best mod you can do to an old V-tail other than the Io-550 STC!! I've done a few, they are cool, but take a bit of time tit correctly.

Im thinking of making a mold for the top plentum cover on our E, it still has the full doghouse. 

Would it be correct to say David your cowl won't work with the full doghouse? 

-Matt

Hi Matt, I could probably make my cowling mod work with the doghouse if someone wanted it. The top cowl would be relatively easy. The bottom cowl would require some changes to the front lower part of the doghouse mainly to move the air filter into the engine plenum. 

David

You Sir ... are not qualified to speak of "being tortured." ;-)

I still wake-up late at night screaming in horror - because the horrific images YOU posted on this forum now remain etched on the canvas of my troubled mind forever!!! I have nightmares of being crushed and suffocated by "women of size" sitting on me and I can't breathe!

;-)

make it stop

make it stop

make them go away!!!

AAAAAaaaaaaa!!!!!!

I call my technique "Fat boarding". Glad to see it has been effective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

22 hours ago, macosxuser said:

cover.jpg

They are a very nice cowl mod, but they certainly do charge handsomely for it.

Clarence