Vintage Mooney Cowling Mod

Welcome aboard Aviation info too! I spent some time with the prop manufacturers and will get some more detail answers next week from them on what spinners will work and what ones won't. 

Thank you,

David

Welcome aboard Aviation info too! I spent some time with the prop manufacturers and will get some more detail answers next week from them on what spinners will work and what ones won't. 

Thank you,

David

David -- great to have met you and will look forward to your progress on the F models. Very well thought out cowl mod and as you know, I'm in the line waiting for its release.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2016 at 8:21 PM, Sabremech said:

Hi James, 

I'll talk with Hartzell and see if there are any huge differences that would impact it's use in my STC. I know the dimensions and clearances I need so I should be able to determine if it will work or if I need to change anything to make it fit.

Thanks,

David

any news on this spinner compatibility and/or new performance testing numbers?  

Hi DXB,

A spinner that mounts to the back of the prop hub and not the flywheel ring gear, with a 14 inch diameter will work with my mod. 

Performance numbers for my aircraft were a gain of 6 knots and 20 degrees f cooler cylinder head temps. 

Thanks,

David

• Like 3

Hi DXB,

A spinner that mounts to the back of the prop hub and not the flywheel ring gear, with a 14 inch diameter will work with my mod. 

Performance numbers for my aircraft were a gain of 6 knots and 20 degrees f cooler cylinder head temps. 

Thanks,

David

I'm waiting for the F results. :)

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

I'm waiting for the F results. :)

Thought of you today Chris!!

Cool shot. They all made it home, wiped out all HYD systems, manual extension failed as well. Belly landing in Tunisia.

Dave- made it safely back Homefront Oshkosh after 39 tach hours. Squawk free!! I'll tare into the annual in November. Let me know if you need any forms or dimensions made for a stock e cowl. Might do the rear spar/flap SB depending on if my stop drills were exceeded. 

Nice seeing your airplane finally!

cheers,

-Matt

image.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2016 at 8:48 PM, Sabremech said:

Hi DXB,

Thanks,

David

Had a chance to look into this - sadly my Top Prop has the  835-58P spinner that sits on the flywheel ring gear.  I talked to the AirMods shop in NJ about your mod, and they seemed to think it would not be a big deal to change the spinner and its backing plate to one that fits.  I haven't yet dug into what other options the Top Prop STC allows, but I'm still hoping this works out.

HI DXB,

I have another customer that has the Top Prop and I'm working on the spinner for his airplane. I'm planning on modding his airplane with a field approval and then an F model to prove all my parts fit well before submitting the project for the STC. I'll you know what I find out or what spinner I end up with.

Thanks,

David

• Like 3

On 10/8/2016 at 7:18 PM, Sabremech said:

HI DXB,

I have another customer that has the Top Prop and I'm working on the spinner for his airplane. I'm planning on modding his airplane with a field approval and then an F model to prove all my parts fit well before submitting the project for the STC. I'll you know what I find out or what spinner I end up with.

Thanks,

David

Awesome!  Looking forward to your F with top prop solution!

• 2 weeks later...

So where are you on the STC! I have been reading the thread and I'm very excited. Hoping the STC comes quick so you can work on the B model next. Us B Boys need a way to keep our engines cooler and more MP since they didn't have the ram air in 61'. Good work and hope all is going well. 

45 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

Still working on the data, drawings, and finding the DER's that will work on the project for a reasonable fee. 

David

Had you considered using the FAA directly?  I've had good results in my region, both with the ACO and the MIDO. You have to work to their schedule, but I have found it reasonable.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, takair said:

Had you considered using the FAA directly?  I've had good results in my region, both with the ACO and the MIDO. You have to work to their schedule, but I have found it reasonable.

Based on the letter I received today from the ACO in regards to the wait time for an STC I have in right now, that's not a good idea with their shortage of manpower unless I don't mind waiting indefinitely.

David

54 minutes ago, daver328 said:

I've been loosely following along with your progress ... You're starting with '66 and newer ... correct?

I gather our 65 C will not be on the STC initially? Is that right?

Mooneys built before 1966 were just prototypes. The ready for prime time real ones date from '66. (Sadly,after '66 things went downhill leading quickly to stuff like wimpy gear and fixed steps.)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, daver328 said:

I've been loosely following along with your progress ... You're starting with '66 and newer ... correct?

I gather our 65 C will not be on the STC initially? Is that right?

You are correct. There is enough difference that my parts won't fit the same way as 66 and up will. I intend to come back around to those when I have the 66 and up complete and in production. I will need to make some money to fund the next project. 

Thanks, 

David

• Like 1

On 10/22/2016 at 6:48 PM, Sabremech said:

You are correct. There is enough difference that my parts won't fit the same way as 66 and up will. I intend to come back around to those when I have the 66 and up complete and in production. I will need to make some money to fund the next project. 

Thanks, 

David

I had no idea they made running changes like that under the cowl. 

On 10/22/2016 at 5:48 PM, Sabremech said:

Thanks, 

David

I look forward to helping you make some money :)

• 2 months later...

I'm getting ready to mod a G model very soon. After that I will be doing an F model. I've throttled back a bit from going the full STC route right now as the time frame to get that done continues to grow with changes of processes and personnel in the FAA making it more difficult. I'm now working with DER's to get 8110 approvals per aircraft for a 337 approval. The time to get this done is substantially reduced and some cost is reduced as well. Look for an update on these two aircraft getting completed in the next couple of months. 

• Like 5

When will you have any information on pricing David?  Even a range would be helpful in budgeting/planning for an installation.  Very interested, as you know in this conversion to our M20E.  Nice that we are Midwest based within <2 hours flying time to your shop in Wisconsin.  Glad work is progressing.

• Like 1

Working on the spinner pricing right now. I'm in the process of purchasing 2 lightly used spinners and mounting kits, so I'll have that pricing available if I can get more of those in the future. I'm waiting on my price for new spinners and then I can come out with a good estimate for the kit. 

David

34 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

Working on the spinner pricing right now. I'm in the process of purchasing 2 lightly used spinners and mounting kits, so I'll have that pricing available if I can get more of those in the future. I'm waiting on my price for new spinners and then I can come out with a good estimate for the kit. 

David

I have a compatible spinner so "kit" would be less that spinner.  2-4Amu's? 2-5Amu's.....Come on tease me.