Top Prop

AndyFromCB

Emailed Hartzell and got a response that if they could sell 10 props off the bat, they would be very interested in giving us the Acclaim propeller. I bet we would see 200fpm increase in climb rates and probably about 10knot speed increase like Ovation did when they went the Hatrzell propeller.

Any takers?

• Like 2

Man that would be a sweet looking set up!! I always thought the 3 bladed MAC's looked small on the bravo. I bet it's substantially more than that. I know they wanted 32k for their Kevlar 3 blade a few years ago. They are funny with their pricing.

-Matt

I might be, would need much more information including if I can use it and retain the FIKI certification.

Retaining FIKI would be essential to me too. I'd also like to know if the diameter is the same, or preferably reduced for a bit more ground clearance, less weight on the nose would be a bonus, and performance in take-off, climb and cruise would be an incentive.

I've only had one o/h on my prop so far, and it will be getting a re-seal/IRAN in the the coming year if I can get away with it. However, noise limits are a hot topic at my local field and the MT option is looking quite attractive, so I have that pencilled in for 2017/2018. If the Hartzell prop was measurably quieter then I might well jump at that instead

Mark Rouch at Top Gun told me a few weeks ago that he just put an MT 4-blade on a Bravo based in Santa Barbara, CA. I have to call Mark tomorrow and I'll try to get the guys contact info and ask him for a pirep or ask him to join MooneySpace and have him post his experience and thoughts here.

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys,

Any news on the Hartzell prop for M20M ?

We are 2 Danes just purchased a nice 1992 Bravo, that need prop OH in October 2015. Looking close to a 4 blade MT as option to the original prop. Maybe the Hartzell could be an other option if STC'ed.

Anyone has experience with a 4 blade MT on a Bravo ?

Thanks, Jacob.

Welcome aboard, Jacob.

Bravo doesn't seem to be listed on the Hartzell site...

http://hartzellprop.com/products/top-prop/mooney/

You might try.... KristaFolkerth@HartzellProp.com Their customer service person that I communicated with...

MT was easy to find...

http://www.mt-propeller.com/en/entw/stcs/mooney_5.htm

Maccauley website was difficult to navigate....

http://www.mccauley.textron.com/tech_guide.pdf

There is a new MT on an MS Rocket around here....

Best regards,

-a-

• 3 weeks later...

I spoke to the McCauley people at OSH.  They have a carbon fiber prop. that should weigh 45 lbs installed.  They do not have a hub as yet to fit the Lycoming engines.  Right now their interest is in working with airframe manufacturers ( Mooney, Cessna, Cirrus).  If some folks would make inquiries to them maybe they would be willing to work on an STC for the Bravo.  Prop. is not proven so giving it some time to prove itself on someone else"s airplane might be wise.  This is a new technology.  Mc Cauley is owned by Textron and you might remember the great job they did with the redesigned crankshaft they came up with.  The current Bravo prop. weighs 75lbs.  Keep in mind they helped Mooney with the original McCauley install on the Bravo so they have most of the data they need.

• 1 month later...

I've ordered the 4 blade MT - will be installed in October. The McCauley was running out of time in October, so eighter a new McCauley (blades are down on minimums), or a slightly more expensive MT - so the choise was easy (as Hartzell never replyed my request).

Will let you know the differences when i get some hours with the MT.

Jacob

• Like 1

Emailed Hartzell and got a response that if they could sell 10 props off the bat, they would be very interested in giving us the Acclaim propeller. I bet we would see 200fpm increase in climb rates and probably about 10knot speed increase like Ovation did when they went the Hatrzell propeller.

Any takers?

And ??

also interested in the performance increase of the four blade...what are they and what's the price ?

$10k for 10knts and 200' sounds great.

• 1 year later...

Hi folks,

As promised a pirep after around 100 hours with the MT-prop on my Bravo:

•    Significant better acceleration and shorter take-off run - much more than stated by MT. I will say 2-300 feet less runway used.
•    150-200 feet per minute better climb rate.
•    A little decrease 1-2 knots TAS with same FF. According to MT this prop should be flown with lower RPM, usually I fly 2300 RPM and 29", max TIT 1600 degrees F. Then FF is 17-17,5 USG/h, and TAS at FL100 are 170-172 ktas, and in FL 180 around 183-185 ktas (mine has TKS)
•    Turbine smooth operation - really comfortable to fly on long trips.
•    Great looks with 4 blades  - and GREAT sound at fly-by :-)

After almost 100 hours the prop looks like new, MT really had solved the paint issues, nothing to see at all.

Conclusion is that I'm very happy with the MT.

• Like 1