GTN 750 Audible Alerts?

TWinter

The G500 announces "minimum, minimum" over the intercom when the DA or MDA is reached.  The pilot does have to set that figure into the flight plan page.  

I set it for every instrument approach.  Generally one breaks out well above DA, and the audible warning serves only as a reminder how low you really are at an ILS or LPV minimum.  It makes me realize if l am still in the clouds when I hear that annunciation it is time to go missed NOW.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

I bet it had air conditioning too.  But it was a cool day so I wasn't missing it either way.  Still...on a hot day.

Speaking of air conditioning - 

anyone seen this portable unit mentioned on the beech talk weekly feed?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/zero-breeze-the-world-s-coolest-portable-ac-unit#/

Very cool unit - portable and battery powered - which is perfect for start up and taxi use.  To use in a small airplane it would need a way to vent the hose (which it can use) to outside the cabin.

Two of those in the hat rack would probably do the job. The vent hose could go out the hole on the bottom rear that my old gill battery vent hose went.

16 hours ago, Marauder said:

Probably a radar altimeter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On the older Pilates aircraft such as that, the KGP-860 EGPWS, or the KMH-920 Traffic/EGPWS (more common) gave those callouts.  I have a bit of time in them, and these are typically the two choices I've experienced.  The later Pilatus airframes kicked this up to the KMH-980 TAWS-B/TCAS-I system.

Steve

28 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Two of those in the hat rack would probably do the job. The vent hose could go out the hole on the bottom rear that my old gill battery vent hose went.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/zero-breeze-the-world-s-coolest-portable-ac-unit#/

Two units weigh more than the 10 pound hat shelf limit. Each AC rated at 1100 BTU/hour.  Two are not going to chill a heat-soaked Mooney. (Factory AC is 25,000 BTU/hr). But they're going to help and in shade could pre-cool the cabin. 

Interesting units.

Now, thinks, how best to wire two in series for our 28V aircraft?  

Note that the 10,000 BTU/hr ArcticAir box weighs 50 pounds and draws 28V / 37 amps.  Costs ~ 5 AMU.  

http://www.arcticaircooler.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=RAC-400-2-24D

Just now, Jerry 5TJ said:

Two units weigh more than the 10 pound hat shelf limit. Each AC rated at 1100 BTU/hour.  Two are not going to chill a heat-soaked Mooney. (Factory AC is 25,000 BTU/hr). But they're going to help and in shade could pre-cool the cabin. 

Interesting units.

Now, thinks, how best to wire two in series for our 28V aircraft?  

Note that the 10,000 BTU/hr ArcticAir box weighs 50 pounds and draws 28V / 37 amps.  Costs ~ 5 AMU.  

http://www.arcticaircooler.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=RAC-400-2-24D

Good point on the hat rack - wasn't completely awake when I wrote that.

The batteries allow for 5 hours use so I don't see any need to wire them. Once up at altitude no need - would probably help with taxi, take-off and landing.

I bought a cooler (Arctic Air 24V) over the winter so we'll see how that works in the hot Texas summer this year.

58fb7104021a7_articair24v.thumb.jpg.6c053e976bd301dbd3ed5e69a00e7f98.jpg

Sorry the thread got hijacked. Should probably open up a new thread on the small A/C unit/

11 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Good point on the hat rack - wasn't completely awake when I wrote that.

The batteries allow for 5 hours use so I don't see any need to wire them. Once up at altitude no need - would probably help with taxi, take-off and landing.

I bought a cooler (Arctic Air 24V) over the winter so we'll see how that works in the hot Texas summer this year.

58fb7104021a7_articair24v.thumb.jpg.6c053e976bd301dbd3ed5e69a00e7f98.jpg

Sorry the thread got hijacked. Should probably open up a new thread on the small A/C unit/

A dedicated cooling thread would be a great lead in for summer.

I hadn't done the arithmetic-engineering to consider how many BTU's are required for a mooney cabin.  I was simply guessing that since the mooney cabin is a small space, that even with the windows, that the small battery powered unit would do.  Oh well.

A battery powered something or other, would be pretty ideal I think for a mooney since you only need it for a few minutes on the ground.  So leave the unit in the airplane and bring the battery back and forth to charge.  Without having to tax your airplane's electrical.

On 3/17/2017 at 2:28 PM, Bunti said:

I have the 750 without TAWS activated, but connected to my audio panel. I even get no "500" call or so. The only call, the 750 will give you, is something like "traffic 12 a clock low 1 mile", if it is connected to an appropriate traffic receiver. (in  my case GTX 345).

TAWS on the GTN750 is very expensive, so I opted for the Aera 660. We connected the Aera 660 to the audio panel and it gives me all the audio calls for obstacles, terrain and even a 500 feet call during the approach. 

Stefan

We're going to have thbsame setup. 750/660