GTN 750 Audible Alerts?

TWinter

For those of you flying with GTN 750. Does your 750 give you audio alerts such as "arriving at destination", " Terrain", Switch Tank Reminder or Altitude Reports. I know there is a TAWS option for the GTN 750, but for a standard GTN750 install are you getting audible information like the portable 696 and 796 does? I've called Garmin and did not get much help, checked with my avionics guys and they say it's hooked up right..I've always ran with the GTN750 and a 696 or 796 portable. I guess I got use to the portable call outs and didn't pay much attention that the 750 stays pretty quite. I have not had the GDL-88 in long enough to be in a traffic call out situation yet, but just wondering if your 750s were more audible? Yes, no, sometimes? I've searched the web and other than mention about the TAWS option I did not see much. The manual for the 750 ( while even like a good thick book ) does not really break it down.

I fly a 650 and I think if offers terrain and traffic (from 88)  with the 500 foot call coming from the 796.  I'm not sure about terrain.....   There is no doubt the portables offer more.  Fore-flight tells me when I'm approaching an active runway.  

I get voice alerts for terrain/obstacle and altitude from the Aera 560 and traffic from the Traffic-Watch. Also for the landing gear. Found them to be helpful in maintain situational awareness without the need to constantly look at a display. I have the audio connected to my audio panel so the warnings comes thru the headsets and speaker.

José

For those of you flying with GTN 750. Does your 750 give you audio alerts such as "arriving at destination", " Terrain", Switch Tank Reminder or Altitude Reports. I know there is a TAWS option for the GTN 750, but for a standard GTN750 install are you getting audible information like the portable 696 and 796 does? I've called Garmin and did not get much help, checked with my avionics guys and they say it's hooked up right..I've always ran with the GTN750 and a 696 or 796 portable. I guess I got use to the portable call outs and didn't pay much attention that the 750 stays pretty quite. I have not had the GDL-88 in long enough to be in a traffic call out situation yet, but just wondering if your 750s were more audible? Yes, no, sometimes? I've searched the web and other than mention about the TAWS option I did not see much. The manual for the 750 ( while even like a good thick book ) does not really break it down.

My 650 is as quiet as a mouse in a church. It has never said anything.

I guess it's all good. I sold my 796 to a forum member after getting the GDL88. I primarily used it for traffic and weather. I'm just not use to flying with the 750, GDL88 and Ipad. Always had the 696 or 796 working in conjunction with. The portables all seem to give audible warnings for this or that. Thanks for the feedback. Glad all appears normal.

• Like 1

I guess it's all good. I sold my 796 to a forum member after getting the GDL88. I primarily used it for traffic and weather. I'm just not use to flying with the 750, GDL88 and Ipad. Always had the 696 or 796 working in conjunction with. The portables all seem to give audible warnings for this or that. Thanks for the feedback. Glad all appears normal.

What do you have for an audio panel? You might be able to get the audio through your headset. My Zulu can connect to my iPad and play the warnings through it.

The only thing I've ever heard my GTN 650 say is "traffic alert," and that's only because I have the GDL 88. I think that terrain warnings cost extra.

No, I've gotten terrain warnings, check your configuration and find a secluded area where you and drop below 500 agl, you should get both audio and visual warnings

No, I've gotten terrain warnings, check your configuration and find a secluded area where you and drop below 500 agl, you should get both audio and visual warnings

I'm a bit confused on what you have. TAWS was an optional purchase when I bought my GTN. It was pretty expensive if I recall. Garmin sent out a message in 2013 that TAWS-A was going to be offered free with a new software release, but it looked limited to Garmin international customers.

http://garmin.blogs.com/pr/2013/10/garmin-continues-to-enhance-gtn-capability-with-class-a-taws-and-more.html#.VNIeQ4Y8KrU

TAWS-B is a requirement for certain classes of planes, but again you paid for it and you need additional equipment. What do you have? When was your GTN installed and do you have the work order for it? Curious is it contains a charge for it.

I think I read the TAWS was optional for several thousand dollars add-on. I don't have the remote audio panel, just PMA6000. I hope to get more air time and continue to work with the 750, FlightStream and GDL88 and the different settings.

It's not a big deal..It was just a head scratcher thinking the panel mounts costing 14k-18k actually did not have some of the features a my prior $1500 portables had.

I think I read the TAWS was optional for several thousand dollars add-on. I don't have the remote audio panel, just PMA6000. I hope to get more air time and continue to work with the 750, FlightStream and GDL88 as well as the setting working with different settings.

It's not a big deal..It was just a head scratcher thinking the panel mounts costing 14k-18k actually did not have some of the features a my prior $1500 portables had.

Welcome to the world of certified avionics. Amazing isn't it?!

• Like 1

I'm a bit confused on what you have. TAWS was an optional purchase when I bought my GTN. It was pretty expensive if I recall. Garmin sent out a message in 2013 that TAWS-A was going to be offered free with a new software release, but it looked limited to Garmin international customers.

http://garmin.blogs.com/pr/2013/10/garmin-continues-to-enhance-gtn-capability-with-class-a-taws-and-more.html#.VNIeQ4Y8KrU

TAWS-B is a requirement for certain classes of planes, but again you paid for it and you need additional equipment. What do you have? When was your GTN installed and do you have the work order for it? Curious is it contains a charge for it.

I just had 88/210 combo installed a week ago and had my 650 firmware update d, so I'm at the latest levels, my 650 was installed 6 months ago. I don't get the TAWs system test like you do on the simulator and certainly didn't pay for it as an option and IIRC I got it on the 430 as well. If it matters my DBs are up to date as well

Yep, this is a major annoyance to me, and one of the main reasons why we keep a now-ancient GPSMAP 396 on the yoke.  I want terrain warnings, even if they are only "advisory" as opposed to "certified".  And the only way to get them on the 650/750 is to pay for the TAWS upgrade.  I don't know what's involved in the TAWS upgrade, but I have a suspicion it's literally just enabling a config register via a firmware upgrade. :-(

Other than TAWS and Traffic, the 750 doesn't have any other audio feedback. One alert I'd like is a beep or some kind of sound when an anticipated turn message starts flashing. 

Once you go GPSS baby, you never look back! I agree that it would be nice for it to beep but I get an annunciation on my Aspen that something is popping up on the GPS. Not a beep but an indicator light. 

From the Pilot Guide of the GTN 750:

"Terrain Proximity - This is the standard Terrain function and refers to the display of the relative terrain elevations on the moving map. No aural alerts of any type are provided by a Terrain Proximity configuration."

​If you have a G500 you can get some terrain alerting.  The best cheapest method is to feed a Garmin handheld signal into your audio panel.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I have the 750 without TAWS activated, but connected to my audio panel. I even get no "500" call or so. The only call, the 750 will give you, is something like "traffic 12 a clock low 1 mile", if it is connected to an appropriate traffic receiver. (in  my case GTX 345).

TAWS on the GTN750 is very expensive, so I opted for the Aera 660. We connected the Aera 660 to the audio panel and it gives me all the audio calls for obstacles, terrain and even a 500 feet call during the approach. 

Stefan

• 1 month later...

I flew (as a passanger) in a PC12 this week.  It was interesting to note that it had more than just the 500ft call out (as I have in my plane from the Aera 510 wired into the audio) but the automatic call outs also include, 50ft, 40ft, 30ft, ....

This was not the PC12 NG but it has simply a GNS530W/430W duo - but of course lots of other avionics behind the panel that I could not see.  

I wonder what avionics that was allowing those call outs.  Is that too precise to certify for a waas gps?  Maybe it was a radar altimeter wired into the audio?

I flew (as a passanger) in a PC12 this week.  It was interesting to note that it had more than just the 500ft call out (as I have in my plane from the Aera 510 wired into the audio) but the automatic call outs also include, 50ft, 40ft, 30ft, ....
This was not the PC12 NG but it has simply a GNS530W/430W duo - but of course lots of other avionics behind the panel that I could not see.  
I wonder what avionics that was allowing those call outs.  Is that too precise to certify for a waas gps?  Maybe it was a radar altimeter wired into the audio?

Probably a radar altimeter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Just now, Marauder said:

Probably a radar altimeter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Probably - it was one of six features on that airplane I really liked that I don't have. The other ones were:

1) the cool radar dome on the right wing.

2) those big prominent winglets - they looked good!  I bet a pair of those would look good on my plane.

3) pressurization. Ok - I admit that was cool.

4) 10 seats (incl pilots).

5) the radar call outs - already mentioned.

and drum roll please - my favorite:

6) that cool turbine sound when the engine is spooling up.  

I can't afford a turbine powered airplane, but I am thinking that I could afford a high quality audio tape of one, which I will then feed into my headset (and passenger....and broadcast by speakers to the people on the ramp) whenever the engine is running.  That should be just as good.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

Somebody say air conditioning?

I bet it had air conditioning too.  But it was a cool day so I wasn't missing it either way.  Still...on a hot day.

Speaking of air conditioning - 

anyone seen this portable unit mentioned on the beech talk weekly feed?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/zero-breeze-the-world-s-coolest-portable-ac-unit#/

Very cool unit - portable and battery powered - which is perfect for start up and taxi use.  To use in a small airplane it would need a way to vent the hose (which it can use) to outside the cabin.