What am I doing wrong

Oscar Avalle

I'm gonna stake out a position that says use all the flaps. You get a slower approach speed (1.3 * Vs0 versus 1.3 * Vs1 + 1/2 the gust; +8 knots in my M), and the no-flaps landing (at least in my M) is very flat, with quite reduced visibility.  This is also the method outlined here: http://mooneyspace.com/files/file/45-mooney-x-wind-landings/

My feeling is if you don't wreck anything it was a great landing! Hold it off as long as possible was great advise. I also remember a pilot saying treat the yoke as a ratchet. It goes only toward you a little at a time as you keep trying to hold it off the runway. That made sense to me.

Thank you guys!!!! I hope this is just a phase... Yesterday I flew and used some of the advice, and it worked better (considering that I was landing into gusty 25kts... Most of the times I don't touch the flaps and land with full flaps.

• Like 1

Man gusty 25 kts is pretty serious.

I would not say that these are the normal conditions around here, but it is not uncommon to face winds between 17 and 20 kts. Actually, in the 3 years that I have been around here I have not seen winds below 12kts (I live about 5 min from the aiport). The advantage is that the winds are normally right down the runway. However, the problem is obviously turbulence around the airport. If you look at the video you will see that the plane moves quite a lot close to the ground.

this is fairly dangerous when you have to go around. instructors call it a trim stall.

Why? My best landings in any airplane are always done with trim almost fully aft. It's really not that hard to push the throttle forward, yoke forward, trim forward at the same time if you really need to go around. It's kind of natural in the mooney anyway to hit the trim switch before the flap switch. The elevator has plenty of authority with trim on either end of the spectrum.

I didn't originally want to chime in here, but I did watch the video and it just simply looks like you had no flare (nose high attitude) in landing.

Very simply put:

I was taught that a perfect landing "stalls" the plane on the main gear, and then the nose wheel "naturally" lays down nice and easy.

• Like 1

I didn't originally want to chime in here, but I did watch the video and it just simply looks like you had no flare (nose high attitude) in landing.

Very simply put:

I was taught that a perfect landing "stalls" the plane on the main gear, and then the nose wheel "naturally" lays down nice and easy.

Yes, that's called a "squeaker"  :D

It not be for everyone, but I went for my tailwheel endorsement starting off in a Citabria and finished off completing my Pitts signoff.  Learning TW landings in a variety of planes and speeds changed the way I look at handling landings including, but not limited to, approach speeds, configurations, slips, crabs, and touching down at the right speed.  Even if a person doesn't intend on flying a lot of TW planes, 5-10 hours in a Citabria and getting your endorsement will change your entire outlook on landings and make you a better stick and rudder pilot as well.  

Don

• Like 1

Why? My best landings in any airplane are always done with trim almost fully aft. It's really not that hard to push the throttle forward, yoke forward, trim forward at the same time if you really need to go around. It's kind of natural in the mooney anyway to hit the trim switch before the flap switch. The elevator has plenty of authority with trim on either end of the spectrum.

its not an elevator authority question, but the amount of forward pressure required on the stick to get the go-around attitude

just search google for 'trim stall', eg: http://avstop.com/ac/flighttrainghandbook/elevatortrimstall.html