Watch out for those vortices!

xrs135

Around my home drome, on the ground...

When an R22 goes buy, I quickly close the door, gather anything loose, close up the car...

When an R44 goes buy, I hold onto the children (teenagers). I don't want to lose my investments...

If something that large goes buy, every body is instructed to run for cover. Seek shelter indoors...

Best regards,

-a-

On my second solo I was asked to fly to the practice area and come back for a full stop. I had a great flight out there and came right back in immediately enjoying the view and my new found freedom. On the way back to KPIE there was a coast guard C130 in the pattern with me. The tower had me fly south for a while mirroring the C130s downwind. Once he turned base she told me to come in and make left base for 36R. I was on a long final and she cleared me to land and cautioned me about the wake turbulence. They always say that so I just accepted the clearance and did my normal slightly high speed landing in this big runway in my rented 172M. I didn't bother to land after the 130s touch down point and boy did I have some strange gyrations to deal with when over the numbers. At the time I chalked it up to being a super low time pilot but it was the wake turbulence. I had a terrible time maintaining a stable pitch in the flare. Good thing I carried a little extra airspeed into that landing. It might have helped me get it down.

I. Ever mess around with wake turbulence now. If they say caution wake turbulence when they give me my takeoff clearance I take my sweet time rolling out into the runway, line everything up, and do a short field takeoff, and try to turn off the wake. During a landing it's harder to avoid and know where that other aircraft rotated.

Wow! I have watched a snow storm develop on a clam winter morning after some heavy aircraft start generating lift for takeoff, but that video puts a whole new light on the matter. 2 and 3 min spacing plus up wind flight paths. What could have been the outcome if he flipped at pattern altitude?