PCU 5000 governor install

I recently purchased and installed the PCU 5000 governor that was listed in the For Sale section. The install was pretty straight forward, but it does require replacing the 4 mounting studs with longer ones. It's a couple of pounds lighter and much smaller. I was pleasantly surprised at the extra room it opened up around the lower back side of the engine. You can easily access the fuel pump and even the sump oil screen from the top side.

The cable bracket adaptor was missing as well as the control arm adaptor. I called PCU and the sent pictures to confirm what it should look like. They sold me the missing parts which was priced very reasonable. Then they wanted to know the serial number of it so they could transfer it to my name and address in their records and informed me that it was still under warranty even though I wasn't the original purchaser. Seems like a very upstanding company who has a good product.

Attached are a couple of pictures. I wish I had made a picture of old one installed to show the extra room it created.

post-7624-0-17626900-1422764858_thumb.jp

post-7624-0-19167100-1422764965_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Hello.  I have a 1967F model with a prop governor that functions very well but has a slight leak.   I have the PCU 5000 picked out as the replacement.  At first look getting the old governor out and the new one in seems to be a difficult task.  It just does not seem like there is any room to get the tools in there to remove it without taking a bunch of stuff off, like a mag, and the fuel pump.  

Can you give me an idea of how long it took you, and what you had to remove to get the new governor installed.   It would be very helpful information.  The leak is to the point where I would like to replace the governor,  but have been holding off since it looks like a big project.

Thanks for the helpful hints if you have any .

I had the same worry before I started. The only thing I had to remove was the oil filter.  If you remove the oblong shaped disc that connects to the control cable there is just enough room to get it out if you tilt it to the correct angle. Three of the nuts can be removed from the top and the other from the copilot side after removing the heater duct.  Once you get the old one out there is plenty of room to put the PCU5000 back in. It took around 3 hrs.  A stubby 1/2 combo wrench will help. You may need to grind down a 7/16 boxed in wrench to get the cable bracket off the old governor.

Fantastic information,  thanks a lot for the reply, I need to get the PCU5000 on order,  the order form asks for some information on the bracket location and some other things that I need to get them.  I will get that information together and then give them a call to confirm that I have the correct parts coming.  You describe them as very helpful which is great. 

Thanks

You should be able to just order part number ATH-1.  I'm not sure if the longer studs and gasket come with a new order or not.  The one I installed was used and I had to buy the studs and gasket separately.  Give Chris a call at the factory, he is very helpful.

My current governor does not keep speed and wanders offen 500 rpm, sometimes as much as a 1000 rpm on take off. I have been thinking about replacing it with the PCU5000. can I ask where you found the used unit and how much you paid for it? Just trying to figure out if I might be able to find a used one and if it will be worthwhile investment vs buying a new one.

• 11 months later...
On 2/3/2015 at 1:07 PM, N601RX said:

You should be able to just order part number ATH-1.  I'm not sure if the longer studs and gasket come with a new order or not.  The one I installed was used and I had to buy the studs and gasket separately.  Give Chris a call at the factory, he is very helpful.

What studs did you get?

I'm looking to replace my governor real soon?

I believe they will come in the kit with a new governor, but I'm not sure since I purchased a slightly used one.  I would called Chris at PCU and ask him.  He sold me the studs and a few other small parts I needed at a very reasonable price.  The studs were a lycoming part and used the standard lycoming stud diameter and length nomenclature. 

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, 1964-M20E said:

At least at Aircraft spruce they just increased the price of the PCU5000 by 20% now $2,400. :(

This must have just happened in the last week or so.  Try calling the factory and talk to Chris.  He was very helpful with the parts he sold me.  He might be able to adjust the price if if makes the difference in making a sale.  I know they recently did a group buy for the RV guys at a large discount.

• Like 1