M20J Oil Change

PaulB

I'm due for an oil change soon and I want to start doing this myself.  I've been gathering supplies and wanna make sure I have everything before starting.  Here's my list so far:

Safety wire

Safety wire twisters

Oil filter

Oil analysis jar

Oil

Torque wrench

Oil filter cutter

Magnet

Is there anything I'm missing?  Also since this will be my first time is anyone around east Texas (Longview) due for an oil change now?  I could come assist with your change to learn the ins and outs before venturing out on my own.  I'd ask Don Maxwell to show me but he's super busy right now.

Wrench for removal of filter.

Wrench for oil drain plug unless you have a quick drain

Hose for quick drain and something to catch oil in.

Plastic zip lock bag or some other method to avoid dripping oil all over.

Wire cutter to get old safety wire off.

Knife or other method to cut filter material for exam.

Depending on your hangar floor, carpet pad, creeper or other method to avoid crawling around on floor.

Come to RBD and I will walk you through it. My plane is down at the avionics shop, so my hangar is open.

• Like 1

Wrench for removal of filter.

Wrench for oil drain plug unless you have a quick drain

Hose for quick drain and something to catch oil in.

Plastic zip lock bag or some other method to avoid dripping oil all over.

Wire cutter to get old safety wire off.

Knife or other method to cut filter material for exam.

Depending on your hangar floor, carpet pad, creeper or other method to avoid crawling around on floor.

Come to RBD and I will walk you through it. My plane is down at the avionics shop, so my hangar is open.

Thanks Don.  I may take you up on that.  I need to gather a few more supplies and may try to do it next Friday.

I have a minor surgical procedure set up for Tuesday, but anticipate being up and going on Friday. I don't have anything else on Friday.

You might give me a call on Thursday, if you anticipate coming to verify.

214 207-6744

I have a minor surgical procedure set up for Tuesday, but anticipate being up and going on Friday. I don't have anything else on Friday.

You might give me a call on Thursday, if you anticipate coming to verify.

214 207-6744

Ok sounds good.  I'll give you a call next week.

You'll probably need a 1" combination wrench. Check the size of the new filter. Most wrench sets stop at 3/4".

Thanks Hank.  I looked and you're right.  Mine stops at 3/4".

Wrench for removal of filter.Wrench for oil drain plug unless you have a quick drainHose for quick drain and something to catch oil in.Plastic zip lock bag or some other method to avoid dripping oil all over.Wire cutter to get old safety wire off.Knife or other method to cut filter material for exam.Depending on your hangar floor, carpet pad, creeper or other method to avoid crawling around on floor.Come to RBD and I will walk you through it. My plane is down at the avionics shop, so my hangar is open.

What size hose for the quick drain?

I need to change my oil too. My Piper Cherokee Six o-540 was 3/4 inch if im not mistaken, but not sure on the io-360.

My quick drain uses 3/8" inside diameter tubing (silicone from Home Depot, in 10 foot rolls). Buy a brass tubing connector, barbed on both ends. Sand one end to go in and out. Push the other end on, cut to length and run through cowl flap to drain. When done, push onto sanded end and set the loop aside, it will be leak free until next time. Then pull it apart (this is why you sand one connector).

For the filter, any 1" wrench will do. There's no room on my plane for an adjustable wrench. So be cheap here.

I'm going to buy Form-a-funnel for my next oil change. You may want to add that to you list. I've heard good things about it. If you find you have a hazmat spill during your oil change then I say "Welcome to Mooney ownership."

Got one on the way.  

Might as well clean, gap and rotate the spark plugs.

New spark plug gaskets

Gap gauge

Anti seize

Contact cleaner for the spark plug leads

Spark plug socket

3/4" wrench for leads

I really don't reccomend somebody doing this without knowing how. A lot of possibilities to break a plug, set the gap wrong, getting anti-seize all over, etc. It is definitely easy enough to do but if it is your first time you really want somebody who knows what they are doing to walk you through it.

I really don't reccomend somebody doing this without knowing how. A lot of possibilities to break a plug, set the gap wrong, getting anti-seize all over, etc. It is definitely easy enough to do but if it is your first time you really want somebody who knows what they are doing to walk you through it.

Yeah I've read about it and it seems pretty straight forward but I'm not planning on tackling the spark plugs now and certainly will ask for help when I do.

• 5 months later...

Just wanted to let everyone know I've used form a funnel twice now for my oil changes and it's definitely the best thing I've used to keep the oil from going everywhere down the firewall.  I just used it again 2 days ago and had great luck with it.  Definitely buy the long one and buy yourself a bucket to catch the oil that runs down the funnel.  I have mine run from under the oil filter, out the right side of the engine compartment, and a bucket underneath to catch the oil.  Works great.  I highly recommend for us J drivers out there with those cramped spaces.

Just wanted to let everyone know I've used form a funnel twice now for my oil changes and it's definitely the best thing I've used to keep the oil from going everywhere down the firewall.  I just used it again 2 days ago and had great luck with it.  Definitely buy the long one and buy yourself a bucket to catch the oil that runs down the funnel.  I have mine run from under the oil filter, out the right side of the engine compartment, and a bucket underneath to catch the oil.  Works great.  I highly recommend for us J drivers out there with those cramped spaces.

Yes! It's a nice little product.

I always punch a small hole on top of the filter, then turn the filter so the hole is pointing about towards the ground. Then put something like a water bottle with the top cut off under the hole (thinking this form a funnel would work well here?). Then I use the air compressor in another hole I ouch on what is the top now to blow as much oil out of the old filter as possible.