Hawthorne, NV Airport News Letter - Mooneys

Randy_B

I thought I would share this weeks newsletter from the Hawthorne Industrial Airport (KHTH) in Hawthorne, NV.  Ms. Betty Easley is the volunteer Ambassador for the airport and author/photographer of its newsletter.  You probably haven't met a nicer airport Ambassador.

Last summer my brother and I flew down to Reno to spend a few days.  One of our day trips was a short flight over to Hawthorne to visit their ordinance museum and look around town.  Betty heard our calls as we approached and drove over to the airport, from her house, to welcome us to Hawthorne.  We were met with cold bottled water and the keys to her personal courtesy car full of gas.  She pointed out all the new construction and improvements.  The runway was in great condition, new aprons and tie down area, and recently new fuel tanks have been installed.  Betty told us to be sure to call when we were ready to leave because she wanted to get some photos.  If you like, she will take photos of your takeoff/departure and email them to you.  Her photos are the only ones I have or my plane in flight (2nd photo down in the newsletter).

Betty won't take a dime for any of this effort.  She will only accept a donation to the airport authority.

post-8345-0-15064500-1422331728_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Now that's cool!

Back about 40 years we used to fly in there in a DC-3 bringing fishermen in to fish the lake for Cutthroat trout. Some were over 10 pounds and big stringers came in through the hotel/ restaurant front door.

There was also a "business" in town called 'The Green Front" where "ladies of the evening" plied their trade" !