Yoke Refurbishment Needed

I was told by the avionics shop that the cure temp required for setting powder coating was not allowed for the yoke material used on the vintage models. Polymer of some kind? (They powder coated the metal panel.)

Too bad that would look slick

Advance Paint tech. Ltd.

Avail in nine colors., Fast turn around, Pro. work.

4650 W. 160th. St. Cleveland, Ohio  44135

216-676-8770

What exactly do they do to them? Mine are metal with a very thick plastic coating that is coming off in chunks at various wear points.

Hector at Aero Comfort did mine in super quick turn-around time. I have the clock in the middle and PC control. He worked around it with no problems.  He also installed PTT switches. Great work done in two-tone leather..  

Hector at Aero Comfort did mine in super quick turn-around time. I have the clock in the middle and PC control. He worked around it with no problems.  He also installed PTT switches. Great work done in two-tone leather..

You've got to post pictures! The yoke clock & PC button are (mostly) why mine are still powder coated.

• Like 1

I didn't have an issue powder coating my 1970 F yokes when I redid the interior, Bob. The shop sandblasted off the plastic like coating and simply powder coated them, and they came out great

Mike, were they metal underneath a coating? I got the idea mine ('66) were not. But I don't know.

Mike, were they metal underneath a coating? I got the idea mine ('66) were not. But I don't know.

Yes, I am thinking they might have been magnesium, but not sure. I didn't see them stripped, just before and after, and they really dressed her up after I put in Bruce's spatial interior 

• Like 1

Yes, I am thinking they might have been magnesium, but not sure. I didn't see them stripped, just before and after, and they really dressed her up after I put in Bruce's spatial interior 

I may dig into it deeper. My avionics shop are really sticklers. (Not a bad thing.) 

Do you find that on hot days the sweat on your hands makes it hard to hold a powder coated yoke? That's the motivation to use leather.

My C has powder coated yokes. They were frequently sweaty during my initial transition training (with less than 100 hours total time); now I usually grip lightly with finger tips unless in IMC, and it hasn't been a problem in recent years.

• Like 1