Six Instrument Gauge replacement/rebuild?

Don't know about the rebuild. I'm kind of curious too only because I would like mine to look better. Mine seem to work OK now. You can replace them, as well as your tach and MP gauge, with the JPI EMD-930 and get unbelievable accuracy and information only afforded by a digital system, but of course at a hefty price. I think those are the best options. Rebuild the originals or go glass.

I'm also interested. Mine really sucks. The fuel quantity gauges are even worse those I had in my C172 and the oil temp often needs reminding, by means of a finger tap or two, two wake up and work. CHT seems to be fine and I don't have anything to say about the poor effort put into the ammeter.

Ooooh, I love my JPI.Wink

It's my understanding that Air Parts of Lock Haven (http://www.airpartsoflockhaven.com/) can repair/overhaul any of them.  For the fuel gauges, though, make sure it's the guage, rather than the sender or wiring, that's the problem.

Or you can buy an EI MVP-50 and replace pretty much all the engine instruments with that, for around $5k + installation.

Sigma-Tek holds the patents from the old Garwin company that made the originals and will manufacture new gauges for all of the cluster insturments.  I had them build two new fuel gauges to Mooney's specs about three months ago.  They are pricy though ($350 each), so if you can find a place to rebuild them, I'd go that route.   I couldn't and went with OEM specs.

http://www.sigmatek.com/cluster_gauges.html

Brian

And here is another data point.

When I was at Osh, in one of the big hangers with all the suppliers, I ran across Mitchell Aircraft Products and the fella behind the counter showed me a replacement for my 6-pack cluster gauges that looked really good.  One thing they do is put some sort of transducer at the end of wire to replace the way your oil pressure gauge gets its information.  No more oil in the cockpit.

Anyway, the whole assembly costs about $550 USD and, until I am ready to find a cheaper (less than $1500) TSO'd primary replacement for these six and the MP, Fuel Press, Tach, it is an option too. 

I told the guy that my fuel gauges are so bad that one reads 1/4 at empty and the other reads 3/4 at full.  Never trust them and always measure with the stick and do fuel burn calcs in flight.  I also told him that some folks believe this is probably because of the senders.  He said that might not be so - the old gauges themselves might actually be out of tolerance. 

So....differing opinions and one more option to choose from.

YMMV.  They are at http://www.mitchellproducts.com.

Quote: edgargravel

And here is another data point.

When I was at Osh, in one of the big hangers with all the suppliers, I ran across Mitchell Aircraft Products and the fella behind the counter showed me a replacement for my 6-pack cluster gauges that looked really good.

WWW.mitchelproducts.com sells a number of 1.5" square instruments that can be selected and arranged in the six-pack configuration. They look great and are available only through distributors. See their website for specs, pictures and distributors. See attached picture of a 6-pack configuration using these gauges. They seem like a good option. Thanks for the information!

post-3240-13468138568664_thumb.jpg

Quote: N5MD

WWW.mitchelproducts.com sells a number of 1.5" square instruments that can be selected and arranged in the six-pack configuration. They look great and are available only through distributors. See their website for specs, pictures and distributors. See attached picture of a 6-pack configuration using these gauges. They seem like a good option. Thanks for the information!

I had to have only my oil pressure gauge fixed and sent it to a fellow named Paul Malkasian in Sequim, WA. He described the repair in great detail over the phone and charged something like $60 or 80. Maybe he can help. A web search turned up his site: www.fuelsenders.com.

I'm sure there's a place in Tx, I think it's in Austin, that Dugosh, SWTA, MAC send these gauges to for overhaul.  I've been told it's inexpensive ($60?) and the turnaround is quick.  I didn't post sooner cause I figured someone knew the place by name.  I tried to search and find it, but was unsuccessful.  It exists though, I'm sure of it.  Some Texas person will know the name, sorry I don't!

My 63 m20c fuel gauges were bouncing and not reading correct, changed the fuel sending units in the wing with the new style. There spot on now...(the rheostat goes bad...you can test it with a ohms meter)

• 1 month later...

Hey acrotex, one came from Maximun Cruise Aviation...(320)235-4844 i have 24 gal tanks also. PN 610242-001 $289.33..I changed one then I seen how bad the other one was, got lucky a local MEC had a used one from a 92 J model they are the exact same. now there spot on and don't bump around...very easy to change also, five screws one wire...good luck...

• 9 months later...

Mitchell Products claims that there have been several Field Approvals given for the 6 gauge cluster for Mooneys. However they have been unable to supply a copy of a field approval or even give me an aircraft N number.

Has anyone on this forum obtained a field approval or know of someone who has? If so, what is the N number of the airplane with the approval?

Note: The FAA will only recognize field approvals which have been recorded in the National Aircraft Registry - so the paperwork has to be complete for it to be any good.

• 9 years later...
37 minutes ago, Nstarbf said:

It's been a while since anyone posted to this thread.  Has anyone had any updates?  I'm keenly interested in replacing my gauges as well

I’ve installed a Mitchell Cluster a number of years ago via a 337 field approval. The Mitchell gauges are FAA/PMA. 
Thanks,

David

• Like 1