WOW!! Very Bad interaction with Don Maxwell

mooneybuilder

I think some are giving this guy far to much credit without knowing squat about him. Does anyone here have their plane serviced by him? It is public knowledge that he has had run ins with the law because of his hot temper.

He shows up, out of nowhere, and slams a family many of us have been dealing with for decades, and in a most public and vitriolic way. Neither professional nor honest IMO.

He challenged Don on a PPI that Don did on a plane he was both brokering and had maintained, and it wasn't even a poor PPI, from what I hear. And no, he wasn't paying for the PPI, the buyer hasn't backed off the deal but some of this guys poor work was highlighted.

I'd like to see his vetted resume. He was probably a janitor at Mooney.

BTW, we never heard anything more from that other 'one trick pony', DUCK after he received something in the mail from Aero Comfort. What's a joke is taking either of these jerks seriously.

there is not anyone here who has upset Don as much as I have Ill bet, and he still considers me one of his better friends. I have spent hours in his shop and office listening to his interaction with others on the phone, he is polite and professional many times when I would have "gone off on the jerk". I have even heard him talking with the late Abe Fortune when Abe was off his meds and really belittling Don. If any of you know the story of Abe.

I have heard Don speak kindly and give advise to Jerry Pressley...

That said, reading this thread, I speculated this was about a ppi that the OP disagreed with because it was going to cost him a sale or significantly affect his profit and he challenged Don on it confrontationally. Now we find out it might be about the quality of workmanship of the OP, who now wants to weenie wag and teach Don a lesson publically for calling him out on a PPI.

In November, I was at GGG and saw a Rocket going thru a PPI for a fellow list member who was also one of my students and friend. The plane had a wing skin pop riveted on, no mention of any damage in the logs, and a lot of other airworthy items needed. Needless to say, the buyer backed out and the owner, thankful that the shoddy workmanship and airworthy items were identified, is having Don repair it correctly.

Yes this is just another voice defending Don not knowing the full story, but a voice that is intimate with the character of Don and Jan Maxwell and one who knows this character assassination is probably profit driven.

• Like 6

Bingo....

Interestingly, I just got a call from Don, my first from him about this incident, and the story is as both I and Mike Elliott surmise...but even uglier. Don is swamped, and the Chinese contingent is coming in to visit his shop today. He says he'll try to post the 'other' facts in a few days.

Scott....you never cease to amaze me.

• Like 1

Bingo....

Interestingly, I just got a call from Don, my first from him about this incident, and the story is as both I and Mike Elliott surmise...but even uglier. Don is swamped, and the Chinese contingent is coming in to visit his shop today. He says he'll try to post the 'other' facts in a few days.

Scott....you never cease to amaze me.

Thank you. How about responding to my question?

How does the personal insults and name calling (areas that have gotten me banned for periods on the site) differ from initial posters obviously one-sided rant?

I am quite sure that Don is/will respond and clarify IF he chooses to do so. I considered the source vs. the numerous testimonials on other threads regarding Don's character and easily made my choice.

I have avoided posting on this topic, as I do not know the facts involved, so I am not expressing any opinion on it.

However, we sometimes have people post adverse comments on people we know, trust and have confidence in, and it hurts to see derogatory comments about them..

No one is perfect and no business person can make every contact/customer happy, but it still hurts.

However, I think it would be a mistake to prohibit people from making negative comments about people they have dealt with or attack them for making them. As potential customers it is very helpful to be able to look here for recommendations for businesses to utilize.

I do wish everyone would be respectful and avoid calling someone a crook, or telling others not to do business with them. It appears to me that stating the situation as factually as possible and letting everyone else make their own determination would get your point across most effectively.

When we see a negative comment about a business, A&P, etc., we can watch to see what everyone else says. If there is one negative and an almost unlimited number of positive ones, we should tend to ignore the negative. And visa versa.

• Like 6

You're absolutely right Don. I wish it were that way. I have come to the conclusion however that sadly, here on MS it's not. Some on here are very vocal and beautifully display their lack of character and maturity.

Then there are those who are mostly quiet but extremely knowledgeable! Walking encyclopedias!

The problem is that former pathetic group of folks either aren't intetested in or are incapable of objective and constructive discussion. They have their agendas. They only want to hear praises, and don't care to see the other side if it's a negative one!

They proceed with their attacks and grand standing acts trying to character assasinate and discredit anyone who has a different view of someone or something they like.

There are plenty of examples of that on here.

I do participate on other forums and frankly they're different in this regard. People discuss back and forth with utmost respect of differing opinions.

I like to believe that most folks on here want MS to change and reach such a higher level as well.

• Like 2

Great idea....something tells me he and Shaune Maycock of Blue Skies Aviation deserve each other, and he should try getting all his free phone advise from Shaune, and well as his annuals, maintenance, and so on.... :rolleyes:

Another personal attack....Put a smiley face and it's "just in fun". You still haven't answered my question. I went back and re-read other thread. I will let the posters words speak for themselves...

• Like 1

Ditto. This site is an invaluable resource and I never insult people because I would feel terrible if the last thing I said to a fellow Mooney Spacer was insulting and out of character and they had a bad day in the air. So let's try to keep it civil and talk to one another as we would if standing next to them in person.

Just remember once you let the genie out of the bottle , you cant put it back , sometimes we don't realize that there is a real live human being on the other side of the screen... I fucked that one up here one time , and have to live with an uncomfortable situation whenever I am in the room with that person...

• Like 1

This particular post aside - this thread is an example of why there is not good airplane mechanic review site. Just no way to do it. Which is unfortunate, because I think it's something our community could use.

Personally I have had both positive and negative experiences with various so-called "upstanding" members of the mooney community. Takes all kinds.

"Rebecca's List"....make-over, hair do, TV ads....the whole bit.

• Like 1

"Rebecca's List"....make-over, hair do, TV ads....the whole bit.

Hm, an idea...

All it takes is a chick to call around to mechanics to learn their true nature.  Could do a whole review site just based on that. 

A not to be named so-called Mooney expert (not the subject of this particular thread) had this conversation with me right after we bought our airplane: 

Me: "How many hours of labor would you estimate to put on the new alternator (that you didn't catch was broken when you did the pre-purchase inspection)?" 

Him: "Well, honey, how many stars are there in the sky?"

Me: "Well, sir, presuming you've been working on Mooney's for decades, I am going to guess you have at least an approximate answer."

Him:  "That's just not the way I do business honey.  We'll see when we see, all Mooneys are different, and the plane ain't flying without an alternator and I'm the only mechanic on this here field." 

(The answer turned out to be 6 hrs labor charge to do the job wrong.  So about 10 hrs later it fried.  We put on the next alternator ourselves, it took us amatuers about 2-3 hrs.)

• Like 3

I had my M20C at Dons shop for some fuel tank work and I agree with everyone here that he is not only one of the nicest, but also most professional mechanics I've ever encountered. He took the time to discuss the plane with me, pointed out some things to keep an eye on maintenance-wise, and bought me lunch! You can't beat that!

That said, I find it hilarious/amazing/incredulous/ridiculous that Scott is on this thread telling people how to behave and saying that name calling and personal attacks are bad.

• Like 1

I had my M20C at Dons shop for some fuel tank work and I agree with everyone here that he is not only one of the nicest, but also most professional mechanics I've ever encountered. He took the time to discuss the plane with me, pointed out some things to keep an eye on maintenance-wise, and bought me lunch! You can't beat that!

That said, I find it hilarious/amazing/incredulous/ridiculous that Scott is on this thread telling people how to behave and saying that name calling and personal attacks are bad.

Here is what I find hilarious/amazing/incredulous/ridiculous Rob: You call me out yet I deleted at -a-'s request my posts from a thread I began...A thread that you today posted that you would like to get a job with someone that uses every name in the book to demean others...to tell them that their religion, intelligence, employment, capacity to think is zero...and not a word of rebuttle or rebuke. THAT tells me who you are Rob...So continue to be amazed when I call out others for doing unto others in a negative way.