WOW!! Very Bad interaction with Don Maxwell

mooneybuilder

I know this post is old now, but I just had to jump in here.  In fact, I signed up mainly so I could give a good word for Don Maxwell.  I work in a G.A. shop in Virginia, and I've spoken with Don a few times.  He's been super helpful to me, and I respect him a lot.  I don't own a Mooney, but I've worked on enough of them to be decently familiar.  Thanks Don, and keep up the good work.  In fact, as I am writing this, I'm thinking Don would make a great guest to have on the Airplane Owner Maintenance podcast... I'll have to consider contacting him about that.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I met with Don Maxwell about 2 weeks ago. ( today is Oct. 13th, 2018 ). He went out of his way to come in on a Sunday to discuss Mooneys. I'm in the process of educating myself pre-purchase. I couldn't have found Don more helpful if I'd paid him 1000.00 bucks. ( by the way it was on his own time and didn't charge me a dime ). 

Ever had a really bad day? I thought so. We all have. Enough said about judging one person on one day. I'm not a Don Maxwell apologiest but if it's bothering you that bad you that you have to take time to rant, maybe you should see someone. You don't need to put "your 2 cents worth in" to "protect otherw". Seriously? That's laughable. THE MARKET PLACE SORTS OUT ALL THE BAD WEEDS OVER TIME. Been that way since some dude named Adam met Eve. Not your negative thoughts. In fact, it highlights some of Don't greatest assets which are too many to count. 

Sincerly submitted. 

Dr. Buck Austin VanTrease

• Like 1

This thread has 11,213 views as I write this. 

Don has done many many prebuys, annuals, Mooneymax, phone calls, PERSONAL interactions with customers all while this thread has been running.  Heck, I’ve never met him but hope to make the next MooneyMax in person vs just reading about it on the internet.

Time for new drama this one has run its course. 

• Like 1

I’ve only spoken with Don once where I had a fuel system issue several months ago. He has worked on my airplane several years before I owned it but despite me not being a current customer, he looked through his records and helped me through the fuel issue and referred me to some great people who resolved my issue completely on the first try.  Thank you Don for sharing your knowledge.  I asked him to send me an invoice for the consult but he wouldn’t.  That’s the kind of (recent) experience I have with Don and I’m very appreciative of him. 

• Like 1

Thoughts for the OP...

What happened?

1) Signed up on MS to not ever log in another day...

2) Complained about Somebody else not behaving professionally.

3) Never mentioned his own identity.

4) Behaved unprofessionally himself, in a world that thrives on professionalism...

5) in general... Complaints aren’t usually well received.

6) Complaints about a well known resource... not going to be really well received, unless it is really serious... then help everyone, and bring some facts and details...

7) What can you expect from a hit and run?

Everyone has a bad day...

As a professional, try not to let it show...

When your MSC actually does something wrong on your plane, like remove your carb heat system and replace with something else... (yes it happened...)

Submit pics, provide info, and try to work through the problem with your MSC... they caused the problem, they want to fix it...

The objective of going to the expert is to get solutions to your challenges...

The cost of those solutions is usually some form of business... somebody has to feed the expert...

Let this wonderful thread continue on showing how wonderful DMax and company really are...

and act as a reminder to what happens when you are having a bad day, posting what comes to mind...

Not any effort wasted... We were going to discuss Mooney maintenance topics with or without the OP...

Hard to do that without DMax and Company...

Full disclosure... my O visited DMax’s shop for its PPI... flown by DMax... and I discussed the findings with Don at length by telephone...

Memorable discussion from eight years ago...

One of these days...

Somebody I know will go through the Right Seat Ready Class that JMax helps with...

There are those nice airbag seat belts that are gaining interest around my house... PMax may be the guy to help make that happen...

From this thread it has become extra clear, complaining still doesn’t earn anything... Something Mom would say...

PP thoughts only, no complaints...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

Anthony I think he did answer your #3 comment...I also looked him up ...veteran,has his own shop and is an IA.Legal issues on two occasions,1 a misguided stolen lawn equipment  recovery involving a fire arm.2 ,domestic violence assault and battery after an argument with wife ...charges later dropped on that count.Thats the problem with the internet..so easy to dig up public information,court records etc.My point here...is Mr Maycock reconsidered his actions and decided to drop the entire matter.That is why he never came back to us in any other post.Mr Maycocks wife apparently also decided to let the matter of a couple punchs also drop ,as she wisely decided maybe counseling and anger management was better than his going to jail in the long run.

Edited by thinwing

On 10/14/2018 at 2:27 PM, carusoam said:

Thoughts for the OP...

What happened?

4) Behaved unprofessionally himself, in a world that thrives on professionalism...

6) Complaints about a well known resource... not going to be really well received, unless it is really serious... then help everyone, and bring some facts and details...

When your MSC actually does something wrong on your plane, like remove your carb heat system and replace with something else... (yes it happened...)

Submit pics, provide info, and try to work through the problem with your MSC... they caused the problem, they want to fix it...

The objective of going to the expert is to get solutions to your challenges...

The cost of those solutions is usually some form of business... somebody has to feed the expert...

Let this wonderful thread continue on showing how wonderful DMax and company really are...

and act as a reminder to what happens when you are having a bad day, posting what comes to mind...

Not any effort wasted... We were going to discuss Mooney maintenance topics with or without the OP...

Hard to do that without DMax and Company...

Full disclosure... my O visited DMax’s shop for its PPI... flown by DMax... and I discussed the findings with Don at length by telephone...

Memorable discussion from eight years ago...

One of these days...

Somebody I know will go through the Right Seat Ready Class that JMax helps with...

There are those nice airbag seat belts that are gaining interest around my house... PMax may be the guy to help make that happen...

From this thread it has become extra clear, complaining still doesn’t earn anything... Something Mom would say...

PP thoughts only, no complaints...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

@carusoam Well considered thoughts as always. One suggestion: have you considered creatively adding to the "PP thoughts only..<insert>." Where < insert > is replaced by the appropriate subject matter expert... maybe something like this (the good stuff starts at around 50s: 

• Like 2

On 10/14/2018 at 5:27 PM, carusoam said:

Thoughts for the OP...

What happened?

- Back somewhere in the thread he did reveal his identity - Shaune Maycock - Owner of Blue Skies Aviation in Austin - so he does meet that basic metric for integrity.  Of course the overwhelming consensus is still that DMax is an indispensable pillar of the Mooney community.  I really wish his shop were closer to me.  

- Speaking of wishing I had a really great MSC nearby, I wonder how that crazy dispute over the carb heat got resolved.  Granted I heard only one side, but it was pretty shocking - both in terms of the work that was done and the response of the shop to what sounded like a bizarre and serious error.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DXB said:

- Back somewhere in the thread he did reveal his identity - Shaune Maycock - Owner of Blue Skies Aviation in Austin - so he does meet that basic metric for integrity.  Of course the overwhelming consensus is still that DMax is an indispensable pillar of the Mooney community.  I really wish his shop were closer to me.  

I feel your pain, in terms of distance from a good mechanic. 

I really like Don and he and I have spent some time discussing maintenance issues in Oshkosh, but shops competent enough to work on my Mooney in Canada are very rare.  I am very lucky to have Clarence (@M20Doc) look after mine and he has maintained my E model for nearly 14 years.  Like Don, Clarence's shop is run by a competent and dedicated mechanic who is uncompromising when it comes to his work.  

Unfortunately, his shop is 236 nm from my home drome, so I try to coincide my annuals with either a family vacation (siblings living in that area) or business.  

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 1/22/2015 at 11:36 AM, mooneybuilder said:

I use to hold Don Maxwell in high regards. Today I called to ask about some discrepancies he wrote up on a Mooney. The discrepancies made no sense to me. I use to work at the factory and I know these aircraft really well. As soon as I asked for clarification on a discrepancy Don went off, got rude and then hung up on me. Needless to say I was fuming. I am a professional as was completely caught off guard by such unprofessional behavior from one shop to another . There where also a few items that Don said where airworthy that according to Mooney and the FAA are not airworthy in nature. I called back and spoke to his wife. Of course she would defend him. The bottom line is I never got answers to my questions. I was very upset with how I was talked to. Those folks up there are just out of their minds. Dons wife threatened to call "Homeland Security" because I said I should fly up there and get the answers to my questions....? She said I was threatening her...? Crazy.. Sorry for the drama post, but folks need to know how Don Maxwell handles being questioned about what he finds on an aircraft.  Completely taken aback.  

I have not read through this entire thread, but I did start from the beginning.  In my mind at least, I would want to know what specifically were you asking to be verified.  How I, and possibly others, would like to weigh in on your questions to Don and his reply.  Was someone making a mountain over nothing, was Don answer within reason, etc...

This will allow the Mooneyspace reader to give some credibility to the story.....

1 hour ago, M20F-1968 said:

I have not read through this entire thread, but I did start from the beginning.  In my mind at least, I would want to know what specifically were you asking to be verified.  How I, and possibly others, would like to weigh in on your questions to Don and his reply.  Was someone making a mountain over nothing, was Don answer within reason, etc...

This will allow the Mooneyspace reader to give some credibility to the story.....

I wouldn't hold my breath for an answer if I were you...

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 1.03.37 PM.png

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, M20F-1968 said:

The guy that wrote that post, Shaune Maycock, was written about here:

And then he came back for a couple posts as @Shaune

5 hours ago, M20F-1968 said:

The original post in more than 5 years old.  

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, McMooney said:

i'm sorry for the necro, just want to know the story behind Peter Garmin

“Peter Garmin” is/was ptk, a dentist from New Jersey who would badmouth any and all avionics that weren’t Garmin.  Odd because he had mostly Bendix/King stuff in his Mooney.  People who met him said that he was as unlikeable in person as he was on the internet.