WOW!! Very Bad interaction with Don Maxwell

mooneybuilder

I use to hold Don Maxwell in high regards. Today I called to ask about some discrepancies he wrote up on a Mooney. The discrepancies made no sense to me. I use to work at the factory and I know these aircraft really well. As soon as I asked for clarification on a discrepancy Don went off, got rude and then hung up on me. Needless to say I was fuming. I am a professional as was completely caught off guard by such unprofessional behavior from one shop to another . There where also a few items that Don said where airworthy that according to Mooney and the FAA are not airworthy in nature. I called back and spoke to his wife. Of course she would defend him. The bottom line is I never got answers to my questions. I was very upset with how I was talked to. Those folks up there are just out of their minds. Dons wife threatened to call "Homeland Security" because I said I should fly up there and get the answers to my questions....? She said I was threatening her...? Crazy.. Sorry for the drama post, but folks need to know how Don Maxwell handles being questioned about what he finds on an aircraft.  Completely taken aback.  

wasn't meant to be anonymous i had to pick a user name. I own Blue Skies Aviation my name is Shaune Maycock and what i said is the complete truth. You can say one sided I don't really care. As of today I no longer hold Don in high regards. My name Mooney Builder is as such because I use to work ant Mooney. No suck thing ans libel when you are speaking of a Business and when what is said is the truth. If you use your name as your business name then be prepared for people to discuss all avenues, good or bad, about your business. Call it "slamming" if you want its the truth and I was very disappointed about it. I also never heard anything negative about Don Maxwell, that's why I said "WOW". This is not a rant. Maybe he does not act that way to customers, but I am another shop and I think he was offended when I was asking for clarification about how he described items, and no I was not rude when asking questions. I was very polite because I respected his reputation. I know you want to defend him, and that's fine. I am only describing how I was treated.

I made a correction to my original post...darn auto-correct....  So don't think I am trying to slam Don Mawell. I have a right to tell the community my experience. 

• Like 1

Wow now there was a bunch of drama with no facts. If you don't care what people think why come on here and spew this diarrhea?

Don takes time out of his schedule to at no cost to the mooney community speak at events such as Oshkosh and mooney summit.

I'm not sure your rant that contains no facts is even worth my time in a reply.

When you choose your first couple posts to be a rant about a shop it calls into question how polite you are sir.

• Like 1

You know I really do not care about your negative remarks.... your replies are biased because you have either heard or had good experience at that shop so you want to make statement about what I have to say...  By saying i have no facts and such is calling me a liar. I understand you're probably just being loyal. I also take time out of my schedule.. I have spoken at A&P Schools, EAA events and many other seminars. I also help owners with issues that I do not even charge them for. I am known to be the only shop on my field to come out a 2 a.m. to tow a plane from the other side of the field while on a Taxiway, fix his flat and only charge my normal shop rate. I don't "stick" it to people when they are in need as we all know there are shops out there that do and will. I am also a preferred shop for several aircraft management companies, one of them being Savvy Aircraft Maintenance Management (owned by Mike Busch).  I am a Veteran of the Marine Corps and work hard. Do I make mistakes.. you bet, but I don't lie about what I say, so please elude that I am lying. 

Me deciding to speak out about my experience has nothing to do about being polite. I normally do not have the time to post things like this. I am booked six months out all the time. But this morning I made an exception... that's how upset this interaction made me. It upset me so much because of the regard I had for Dons shop. If any other shop would have acted that way you wouldn't have been hearing about it. But when you are well known and you treat someone of the same profession that way.. well sure I am going to say something. So if my "rant" is not worth a replay... why have you replied several times.. must be the sense to try to defend or be loyal to someone you respect... Same, but opposite reason I am posting this... What if you had been talked to like that by Don? You would be taken back to wouldn't you? 

Anyway, I have a full shop. Take from this what you want. but I give my word as  a Freemason that I am telling the truth. Stay warm.

• Like 1

I fear the day that Don retires. I call him several times a year for advice. Many times I try to order parts from him and he steers me to someone else who is less expensive. He's amazing in his willingness to give advice without asking for anything in return. And he even remembers me when I call back. I guess that's just the type of small town business that I'm not used to out West.

-Robert

• Like 4

And hey maybe I just caught him on a bad day... But still...

I understand the relevance of wanting to share your credentials here. But if you called up Don fast talking and trying to out credential him I could see that being very insulting. Sometimes we have to put aside our big city ways and appreciate how business is done in smaller communities. The Mooney community is amazingly small. Maybe start out with a "Hi Don. How have you been"?

-Robert

Shaune,

MooneySpace is a community.

It takes all comers.

We are a builder of relationships.

Welcoming yourself into a community is difficult when you start out with wild accusations against a well respected supplier to our very narrow industry.

Now, you have explained that you are a business with a complaint against the well respected individual's business...

I look forward to getting to know you better.

I am sure you have something positive to offer.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 5

I've met Don in person twice.   I've chatted with him on the phone once, and I had a short email exchange with him on a mechanical problem.  I've never spent a penny in his shop.  He has always been pleasant and helpful. 

With that said, my next annual will be with Don.    And for what it is worth, Don is 183 miles from me.  San Marcos is 48 miles.  Which reminds me.  Is anyone planning to travel between Austin and KGGG around the end of March or beginning of April.   Maybe we can share a ride.

Don isn't just an excellent mechanic but also a really really nice guy. I consider him a friend and a real asset to this community. Aside from that I'm not exactly sure as to the point of your post. It sounds like you disagreed with him on something and then pissed him off. Posting something like that here does nothing but make you look like a fool.

• Like 6

I've met Don in person twice.   I've chatted with him on the phone once, and I had a short email exchange with him on a mechanical problem.  I've never spent a penny in his shop.  He has always been pleasant and helpful. 

With that said, my next annual will be with Don.    And for what it is worth, Don is 183 miles from me.  San Marcos is 48 miles.  Which reminds me.  Is anyone planning to travel between Austin and KGGG around the end of March or beginning of April.   Maybe we can share a ride.

You don't need to spend a penny here either. I am always willing to help someone find an answer to a maintenance question. If I can ever help answer a question I will. If I know of anyone heading that way the time you're taking your plane there I can pass it along and maybe help you find a ride back. I would chase you in my plane myself and fly you back, but my plane is also due for annual at that time.

What's the point? Just venting that someone had a difference of opinion. It's one side of an disagreement. Posting here isn't going to resolve anything.

Your right. I was just venting. Me posting wasn't to resolve, just to tell the community about an experience. I do however think it odd that Some see me as the "bad guy" for posting a bad experience... I know people who have had bad experiences at places that I have never had a bad experience at. Doesn't mean they are lying and I don't say bad things about them because they had a bad experience. I have made the comment... "man, i have never had that problem there" but I never called them a "fool" for them telling people about it.

You don't need to spend a penny here either. I am always willing to help someone find an answer to a maintenance question. If I can ever help answer a question I will. If I know of anyone heading that way the time you're taking your plane there I can pass it along and maybe help you find a ride back. I would chase you in my plane myself and fly you back, but my plane is also due for annual at that time.

and we're always glad to have someone's expert opinon on here.  It's not just Don, we had someone complaining about Joey Cole's shop a few years back, and lots of people came to his defense, too.

Guest Mike261

Wow. By your own admission you were fuming. You should have stepped back and taken a breath before posting anything. There is no coherency or relevant detail to your post and therefore no way for the reader to comprehend or understand your position. A rant by any other name is still a rant.

mike

What's the point? Just venting that someone had a difference of opinion. It's one side of an disagreement. Posting here isn't going to resolve anything.

You are probably right but then defending either side may not be the best thing to do. Criticizing my opinion may not be appropriate here either. We all need to realize no one is perfect.

It good to have people come to your defense, but if someone has a complaint it has every right to be heard just as a compliment does. There is no better place to make a compliment or a complaint than the community in which that business serves. Don't get me wrong, I know Don is a great mechanic. I said nothing about his mechanical skills. My comments are also not meant to drive any business from him. Just being informative. I was in shock because I too have only heard good things about him and that's why I posted my experience. it's almost like... "how dare I say anything bad about someone we like! You're only allowed to say good things"  

Anyways, I gotta get back to work. I guess everyone can debate and vilify me...

• Like 2

You know I really do not care about your negative remarks....

....Do I make mistakes.. you bet,

Me deciding to speak out about my experience has nothing to do about being polite. I normally do not have the time to post things like this. I am booked six months out all the time.....Same, but opposite reason I am posting this... had been talked to like that by Don? warm.

Doubting your reaction to the event has less to do with your integrity than it has to do with your judgement and motivations.

Why would a 'busy' guy like you visit us for the first time just to spew negatives about a fellow mechanic. We don't know you, but all of us have known Don and Jan for many years, if not by dealings at least by reputation, and we RESPECT them because they've earned it.

Maybe, as you say, Don was having a bad day, and Jan too. However, I suggest you were having a worse one, earning whatever reaction you received. Also, you motives for slamming them here are far from noble.

Shame on you!

• Like 2