Shoes and attire

bonal

Last flight I took I met my wife at the hangar and because I came straight from work I was wearing my work boots (required for my job) and it made for a much more difficult time getting in and out. Normally I wear sneakers. I also noticed my landings were sub par so rudder control may have been adversely impacted. What preference do all of you have when flying? As soon as weather permits I always wear shorts and I have to wear black or dark shirts because if I'm wearing white the reflection on the instruments makes it hard to see the indications.

• Like 1

Favorites for the feet...

Sperry docksiders....thin soles to help feel the pedals and brakes...

A good running sneaker, for the same reason...

In the winter, have something for plan B. These are not snow boots...

Work related safety shoes need not apply. They remove all feeling your feet may have had...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I wear short Asolo leather hikers and always wear thick jeans.

Ultra comfortable, light, leather, toe protection, non-slip Vibram sole. Best shoe I've ever worn. Wear them to work, to run, to hike:

http://www.asolo-usa.com/men/access-footwear-for-men/agent-gv-men-s-graphite.html

Cotton and leather make for pretty good fire suits. Yeah, I also have a smoke hood in my airplane too. Shows you what I fear the most.

• Like 1

It's what your used to. There's a reason why the rudder and brakes are controlled by your feet and not hands.

We use the rudders quite a bit in fighters while fighting BFM as well as for crosswind control, and the thick soled steel toed boots work well. But if you're not used to flying with something like that, I can see how it would feel uncomfortable... Like flying wearing ski gloves. But once you're used to it its a non-issue.

Steel toed flight boots? Not in the USAF. Which nation flies with steel toes?

I've been told it's b/c if you go down in arctic environs the toes will sooner frostbite if wearing them.

I agree though - it's all in what you're used to. For me it's flight boots in the Herk, Dockers in the 737, tennis shoes or leather slip-ons in the Mooney and RV.

Patrick

Last flight I took I met my wife at the hangar and because I came straight from work I was wearing my work boots (required for my job) and it made for a much more difficult time getting in and out. Normally I wear sneakers. I also noticed my landings were sub par so rudder control may have been adversely impacted. What preference do all of you have when flying? As soon as weather permits I always wear shorts and I have to wear black or dark shirts because if I'm wearing white the reflection on the instruments makes it hard to see the indications.

And to your post; I have my "flying" sneakers. I wear laced shoes in the winter. I stay away from dress shoes, boots and deck shoes.

Color of clothing is usually not an issue with a glass cockpit.

Johnston and Murphy Chukka Boots are awesome. I have a couple pairs. I wear my olde ones to work in the OR/Flying and my newer ones when I dress up. They are very comfortable and have a unique sole that let's you feel everything and is very pliable. Check them out. They are not cheap but well worth it. Would solve your shoe problems. Troy

Johnston and Murphy Chukka Boots are awesome. I have a couple pairs. I wear my olde ones to work in the OR/Flying and my newer ones when I dress up. They are very comfortable and have a unique sole that let's you feel everything and is very pliable. Check them out. They are not cheap but well worth it. Would solve your shoe problems. Troy

I still own some J&M dress shoes from the time when I worked for Genesco, their parent company. I left the company in 1970.  

You guys crack me up I was being somewhat serious. Im over 50 and really dont need advise on how to get dressed,  and I suppose I thought I might start something on a lighter note. normally getting in and out is no problem but (and I think) for the boots I was having a real hard time of it. My wife says we need to keep a pair of light shoes in the plane.

Good thinking

My wife says we need to keep a pair of light shoes in the plane.

Good thinking

Indeed! Why didn't I think of that? And I'm not kidding. I'm sitting in my office in my dress clothes on a perfect, sunny, calm day for flying my tail dragger, but alas I have to go home first to get my sneakers. I should just keep them in the car or buy another pair for my hangar!

Please thank your wife for me!

I noticed nearly at the beginning of my flying that I  fly better if I wear no shoes - just socks.  The reason is that I feel the pedals and I feel the forces the airplane is putting on the pedals better.  SO I react to the feels of the controls on my feet more naturally than if I am wearing shoes where that feeling is blunted so more so I react to how the airplane has reacted to a control input rather than the rudder directly - that introduces a slight delay in the control.  No joke - I started landing much much better when I started flying without shoes.

BUT in the winter that can get cold - so in the winter I keep a pair of wool slippers in my airplane full time that I put on as I take the pilots seat.  See picture.

post-8059-0-35877400-1421965952_thumb.jp

post-8059-0-86539600-1421965968_thumb.jp

Steel toed flight boots? Not in the USAF. Which nation flies with steel toes?

I've been told it's b/c if you go down in arctic environs the toes will sooner frostbite if wearing them.

I agree though - it's all in what you're used to. For me it's flight boots in the Herk, Dockers in the 737, tennis shoes or leather slip-ons in the Mooney and RV.

Patrick

The U.S. Navy flies with steel toed boots. Required for the boat.

You're right, though, the USAF doesn't use steel toed boots- they are suede, but still very thick soled Bellevilles.