Update for Mooney WAAS, ADS-B Upgrades for Stec equipped planes

sellis

7 hours ago, Txbyker said:

If I read this correctly, we need software plus new GIA's?  My plane has been at SW Aviation with the STEC servo at Cobham for a few weeks.  Since the factory dialog is open I will investigate the upgrade path and costs.

Russ 

Thanks Russ, look forward to hearing what you find out. I have an e-mail into my avionics shop with similar questions and will report back as well.

Robert

I believe I have somewhat of a handle on what the upgrade paths costs.  Kit number 2 includes new GIA, antenna, cables and instructions for the STEC.  Kit number 3 from what we can surmise is the GFC700 conversion.  Kit #1 parts = $18,900, Kit #2 parts = $27,900.  My plane is in the shop awaiting STEC pitch servo repair for the last few weeks so I wanted to make a decision.

JD Casteel an MSC at San Marcos, TX, Southwest Texas Aviation is going to do the #2 kit to my Ovation.  Being the first conversion he is having a local Garmin shop do the work and after looking over the task told me to expect 15 hours (approx $1125).  Lead time of the kit is 1 week.  Wish me luck.

Russ

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Txbyker said:

I believe I have somewhat of a handle on what the upgrade paths costs.  Kit number 2 includes new GIA, antenna, cables and instructions for the STEC.  Kit number 3 from what we can surmise is the GFC700 conversion.  Kit #1 parts = $18,900, Kit #2 parts = $27,900.  My plane is in the shop awaiting STEC pitch servo repair for the last few weeks so I wanted to make a decision.

JD Casteel an MSC at San Marcos, TX, Southwest Texas Aviation is going to do the #2 kit to my Ovation.  Being the first conversion he is having a local Garmin shop do the work and after looking over the task told me to expect 15 hours (approx $1125).  Lead time of the kit is 1 week.  Wish me luck.

Russ

Way to go can't wait for the pirep, my G345R, is now working perfectly, hope you the best.

2 hours ago, Txbyker said:

Russ

I was in JD's shop today and saw your bird there. We talked about this upgrade. You're definitely in good hands there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Txbyker said:

Russ

Thanks, and good luck!

I spoke with my shop today (VIP Avionics at KHFD) and he expects to have some info for me in a few days. Will be interesting to see if it matches what you were quoted :)

• Like 1

Incomplete update:

Option 2 is the one for us S-Tec drivers. Kits are in stock; 10-12 hrs installation time. My shop will confirm the price on Monday (Svc Dep Head has to talk to owner to get the price authorized) but hinted at a lower price point for the kit than Russ was quoted; don't know if we're talking like-to-like comparison in terms of work that needs doing though.

I'll report again when I get final quotes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ftlausa said:

Is there confirmation of the cost of Option 2 or the software fix that is required to couple the approaches? 

I've asked my MSC to quote me for the standard WAAS Kit..

Since the WAAS kit was what we expected. 2 GIA's, antennas, manuals and that it works with the current general release -30 software.     I expect that coupled LPV -> STEC would just be a software/certification project that they haven't done yet.  

GIA63's only have one set of horiz/vertical deviations outputs and the Stec one input.. so if the signal is being set for the LOC/GS.. the software just needs to send it for LPV.. but garmin made that coupling optional, and its use is probably based on OEM testing and certification. 

We should thank Mooney for releasing this, we were patient (10 years for some).  We should also request general updates/timelines for the -34 general release and then the future ADSB -> GTX33ES software update.   I would encourage the MooneySpace users to indicate that yearly software updates are expected in post sales support, as essential in today's market like being able to order parts for 40+ year old airframes. 

Is the consensus that only Cirrus and TBM are providing  regular Garmin software updates?.. It seems that Cessna, Beech, Diamond and Mooney are lacking in this regard, and that keeps out sales of FlightStream, GDL88, TCAS, AOA and any other newer technologies.   Every G1000 should be supporting the FS510.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PaulM said:

I've asked my MSC to quote me for the standard WAAS Kit..

Since the WAAS kit was what we expected. 2 GIA's, antennas, manuals and that it works with the current general release -30 software.     I expect that coupled LPV -> STEC would just be a software/certification project that they haven't done yet.  

GIA63's only have one set of horiz/vertical deviations outputs and the Stec one input.. so if the signal is being set for the LOC/GS.. the software just needs to send it for LPV.. but garmin made that coupling optional, and its use is probably based on OEM testing and certification. 

We should thank Mooney for releasing this, we were patient (10 years for some).  We should also request general updates/timelines for the -34 general release and then the future ADSB -> GTX33ES software update.   I would encourage the MooneySpace users to indicate that yearly software updates are expected in post sales support, as essential in today's market like being able to order parts for 40+ year old airframes. 

Is the consensus that only Cirrus and TBM are providing  regular Garmin software updates?.. It seems that Cessna, Beech, Diamond and Mooney are lacking in this regard, and that keeps out sales of FlightStream, GDL88, TCAS, AOA and any other newer technologies.   Every G1000 should be supporting the FS510.

Paul, spectacular write up.

That price matches what my avionics shop told me. They may try and add a bit of a markup - still negotiating.

The future STC I believe is tied to a test flight program that is being organized, but timing is unclear. I'm glad to hear though that it is back on the agenda :)

Also, I asked my shop to check with Garmin whether or not we can buy the hardware from them direct (at presumably a lower price). There is no STC involved for this stage it seems. However, I'm guessing that the software would have to come from Mooney and who knows what they would charge. So there may or may not be a material savings from going that route.

Also, there is talk of trying to organize a group purchase/discount that might persuade Mooney to offer the kits at a discount and one of our members here is trying to get a hold of them and see if they are amenable.

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke to the Mooney guy at the Mooney Summit yesterday and he said they were a little to fast in coming out with SB20 305A so they now have SB20 305B to fix a problem with the earlier SB. The SB for the coupled GPS approach won't be out until the 2nd quarter of 2017 for a price tag of about 8K. Not impressed since it still won't be compliant with the 2020 without spending more money to to change out the 330 transponder to the ES.

Yes, Dirk has been here at the Summit and I can confirm the news about the latest SB and the timing for the coupled approach. I didn't get the same info about the cost for that follow up SB as $8K. That's probably still fluid. As to ADS-B there will be a few options, but I don't think you can think about that as bundled with the WAAS issue directly. That s money you'd have to spend anyway, and there are options there as well. This will continue to clarify over time.

• 3 weeks later...

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have progress again. After releasing and then withdrawing SB M20-305A, Mooney has today released SB M20-305B which will hopefully be the final answer for getting our S-TEC and GFC700 non-WAAS planes up to full WAAS capability. Well, not quite "full" capability for the S-TEC folks as the A/P won't couple vertically with the glide path on WAAS approaches, but at least it will give us WAAS guidance so we can fly LPVs to our heart's content.  A/P coupling is promised to come later.

No word on price yet, but you can call your favorite MSC and see what they quote you. I'm guessing it's going to be in the $21K range.

Here's the SB.

Let's start spending money!  But save some for the ADS-B upgrade, and the S-TEC final solution.

M20_305B.pdf

• Like 3

Great news: 

Mooney Service Bulletin M20-305B, Dated October 18, 2016 - All Mooney Aircraft equipped with Garmin G1000 are eligible for the Non-WAAS or WAAS Optional Upgrade Packages. 

What does this mean? Stec and gfc700 equipped Mooneys can now upgrade to ads-b via Garmin gtx345 and gtx345r. This is software release number -34 which is being disseminated as per bulletin. This will allow traffic and weather to be seen on the MFD via Ads-b.

Please share this information with your local avionics shops as to make this transition a little easier for those that do not subscribe to Mooneyspace.

Blaine Hoffman

Ocala, Florida