Update for Mooney WAAS, ADS-B Upgrades for Stec equipped planes

sellis

3 hours ago, Deb said:

When Trek posted this, Garmin hadn't described the problem with the FIS-B (ADS-B) Nexrad weather product in v14.xx and v15.xx of the GDU software. It is described in Garmin Service Advisory 1650, dated September 13, 2016 http://garmin.blogs.com/files/1650a.pdf. Here is the entire text of the Service Advisory:

Trek posted it Friday January 13, 2017

https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=133162.

Hello everyone,

the post I listed on the Beechtalk sight was intended for a Beechcraft which Texgtron does not plan on updating at this time. they are limited because of this to only GDU software level of 11.13. with Mooney's latest field update of 401.34 this has GDU software level of 14.02 and the SA that Deb posted would apply to not displaying the NEXRAD data however the traffic and other weather products are displayed.

Let me know if there are any questions on this,

Nevermind.....  :)

I went to find a post and found that Trek had already just put an answer there....

Trek, glad you stopped in, while you are here...

Can you check in on the Garmin G5 issues somebody has posted a photo of the AI not matching

the actual A...

I'll see if I can post a link...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

M20R, G1000, S-TEC 55X.  My install was finished in late December, I did the G1000 WAAS update and the G345R (without WAAS).  I have only flown a hand full of times since as my annual started the first week of January but IMHO, this is how the plane should have been equipped from the get go...love it!  I have one Canadian market issue left to iron out, it seems the  G1000 WAAS kit ships with the US only Safetaxi data base which isn't exactly perfect for those of us living north of the border (where has my home field taxiway map gone?).  Apparently its as simple installing a new Garmin base map and Safetaxi update from my account which will include the Canadian info, but other than that, all good.  I have yet to play with (read figure out) how to pair my iPad / Foreflight to the 345R ADSP output but all in good time.   Thanks for the guidance / planning /assistance to Clarence and Mo at my MSC (Tri-City Aero at CYKF) and to Josh at Brant Aero at CYFD who handed the actual install, on time on budget, a job well done.  Now, if one of you fine Mooney owners in the US can just help me with the US / CAD exchange rate (ouch)......  

Regards to all, Grant.

Connecting and pairing your iPad with the 345R is easy. Turn your master on go to settings on your iPad tap on Bluetooth and you should see your 345R, then just tap connect. Hope it works for you because I could not get it to connect when I was sitting in the airplane. I had to open my access panel stick my iPad inside make the connection but lost the connection once I got into the plane, just will not connect while I'm sitting in the plane. I am still trying to sort this issue out and I think I'm losing my Bluetooth connection because of all my a/c stuff behind the baggage compartment. Let me know how you made out and if you have a/c.

Buddy

21 hours ago, buddy said:

Connecting and pairing your iPad with the 345R is easy. Turn your master on go to settings on your iPad tap on Bluetooth and you should see your 345R, then just tap connect. Hope it works for you because I could not get it to connect when I was sitting in the airplane. I had to open my access panel stick my iPad inside make the connection but lost the connection once I got into the plane, just will not connect while I'm sitting in the plane. I am still trying to sort this issue out and I think I'm losing my Bluetooth connection because of all my a/c stuff behind the baggage compartment. Let me know how you made out and if you have a/c.

Buddy

Buddy, can you verify what device you are using (iPhone, iPad, etc) and what IOS version it is currently?

Russ

So, back in the air now and it seems I have the same issue as Buddy. I have an older iPad and a 1 year old iPhone 6 and neither will connect to the 345. The iPhone finds it quicker than the iPad but I cant get either to pair at all. Working on it with my avionics guys but if anyone has feed back from their own installs I would appreciate it. Thx. Grant. 

My Ovation was just upgraded in December with the waas option 3, GTX-345R, SVT, and TAWS-B at Daytona Aviation Services.  They gave me the best price out of 5 shops all over the SouthEast.  John ward and Jake Clemens treated me extremely well and I will be going back for future services.  Everything worked as Garmin advertised except two items.  The bluetooth would not connect to devices in the cabin and the level of weather was less than stated.  Has anyone connected to the bluetooth reliably in an Ovation or Acclam?  

• Like 1

I offered to post a comment for Jake since they did such a great job.  They performed my annual during the avionics upgrades also.   I was able to get the airplane back on the day promised, which was at the end of a two week period.

Speaking to the FIS-B Nexrad displaying on the G1000, I understand now that software version 15.20 is required.   Does anybody know if this can be installed from Garmin directly as a required update maybe for safety reasons?  I know usually we have to wait on Mooney to push the software updates.

SamJ

Edited by SamJ

5 hours ago, SamJ said:

I offered to post a comment for Jake since they did such a great job.  They performed my annual during the avionics upgrades also.   I was able to get the airplane back on the day promised, which was at the end of a two week period.

Speaking to the FIS-B Nexrad displaying on the G1000, I understand now that software version 15.20 is required.   Does anybody know if this can be installed from Garmin directly as a required update maybe for safety reasons?  I know usually we have to wait on Mooney to push the software updates.

SamJ

Sam,

I spoke earlier today about bluetooth in the cabin to my avionics shop and the tech said it can be different by aircraft.  I told him some of us have it, some don't with the same configuration.  He said a lot of things can affect it such as passengers in the back, honeycomb, etc.  I just checked mine again and it connects fine.  I read the manual on the panel mount GTX and it said something about only two devices can connect at a time.  I just got a new iPhone and the GTX connected no problem after having connected to my old iPhone and iPad.

Like Anthony said we probably need something from Trek about this.  Its new technology and it is hard to understand why it would be different by installation in the same configured models.

As for the 15.20, I believe David had posted somewhere up this string that supposedly Garmin provided it to the OEMs in December and now we must wait for it from Mooney.

Russ

Hello everyone,

yes the Bluetooth is no different then any other RF device. the unit only puts out a very small signal so if the GTX 345R is mounted in a remote location the installing facility is required to do a connectivity test before they release the plane to the owner to verify it is working OK if its configured for the Bluetooth enabled. I would highly recommend that this be done in the normal aircraft configuration with luggage in the plane and people just as you would be flying the plane. the rule of thumb in most cases is the signal has about a 30 foot line of sight range. if there are bulkheads, seats, people, luggage, etc. in the signal path it will be attenuated and not work very well.

as for the G1000 GDU software, this will be up to Mooney to certify and release to the field, they own the type certification on the plane.

let me know if there are any other questions,

• Like 1

Here is a response from Garmin after asking if there may be a bluetooth extender:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.  There is not a bluetooth extender available for the GTX.  At this point your best option would be to have your dealer Flight Stream 110/210 from the GTX and locate it in a location capable of supplying bluetooth to entire aircraft. 

This seems to indicate that the 110/210 would interface directly with the GTX-345R and would effectively be a Bluetooth extender.  It would probably save on wiring labor also.

Regards,

Sam

What is the back wall of the baggage compartment and bottom of the hat shelf made of? 

For remote mounted devices, the instrument shelf in the tail is is going to be in something similar to a faraday ice pail?

Something important to check on...

Best regards,

-a-

Alan, if you read through this thread you'll be pretty much caught up on the issue. Several of us have now gone through the upgrade, some with varying degrees of additional work needed, but overall the upgrade to WAAS is going fairly well. I have my equipment on-order and hope to get it done in the next few weeks.

A related issue is the addition of the GTX-345 for ADS-B compliance. That has also gone fairly well, with one big exception, namely, the G1000 requires MFD version 15.2 to display the NEXRAD graphics from ADS-B but Mooney hasn't certified that version yet. So if you're hoping to ditch the XM weather in favor of FIS-B you will have to wait until Mooney certifies the new version of MFD software. (You could still get the ADS-B on a tablet of course.)

Hope that helps.

I am not sure what thread you are talking about? I have installed the GTX 345 so I have Traffic on my MFD and weather on my IPAD.  I don't care about weather on my MFD.  I like NEXTRAD.

Just would like more info on what equipment I need to up grade to WAAS.

Thanks for your help

Alan the upgrade is available, you expect to pay about 21K. The upgrade will allow you to couple the Stec 55X with vertical nav. I had mine done a couple of mouths ago by JD Casteel (MSC) and McKee Avionics out in TX. and it works great.

Buddy

On 1/30/2017 at 1:53 PM, Alan said:

I am not sure what thread you are talking about? I have installed the GTX 345 so I have Traffic on my MFD and weather on my IPAD.  I don't care about weather on my MFD.  I like NEXTRAD.

Just would like more info on what equipment I need to up grade to WAAS.

Thanks for your help

Um...THIS thread, the one you are responding to! Go back to the beginning and read it all the way through if you want all the gory details. But the short answer is, the SB is out to add WAAS, it's SB M20-305B. If you have an S-TEC bird, you would use Option 2 in the attached document.  You have to go through an MSC to buy it, although it may help to have an avionics shop involved in the installation. 

M20_305B.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Giddy, with emotions oscillating between excitement for the possibility and dread for what could go wrong, I deposit my plane at Cole Aviation this weekend for the WAAS upgrade. Hopefully enough other folks have done this now that Mooney has worked through the kinks and can support Joey to get it done correctly and quickly. He said he's done at least one other, although that was for a GFC700 plane and not an S-TEC. Fingers crossed!

• Like 4