(Video) Flight from Livermore, CA to Lake Tahoe, CA

wishboneash

Sorry was not trying to offend anyone, just wanted to make sure pilots that are not familiar with mountain flying and specifically South Lake Tahoe knew there were much better and safer options for flying in from the west.  I was trained in the school that you never flew anywhere that your life depends on the motor unless you absolutely had to.  And yes, a few thousand feet and a few miles north or south would make this flight much more survivable with an engine out. I fly this route several times per year and treat it with the utmost respect.  I won't put the detailed analysis here because I don't want to hijack the thread of a very nice video.

Tim

• Like 3

Sorry was not trying to offend anyone, just wanted to make sure pilots that are not familiar with mountain flying and specifically South Lake Tahoe knew there were much better and safer options for flying in from the west.  I was trained in the school that you never flew anywhere that your life depends on the motor unless you absolutely had to.  And yes, a few thousand feet and a few miles north or south would make this flight much more survivable with an engine out. I fly this route several times per year and treat it with the utmost respect.  I won't put the detailed analysis here because I don't want to hijack the thread of a very nice video.

Tim

I don't see how a few miles north or south would be any better than where he was. He was RIGHT over the top of hwy 50 - That's exactly where I would have been!

• 3 weeks later...