Flight Stream 210

TWinter

I'm about to have the GDL-88 installed next week. I am going back and forth over the Flight Stream 210. I've looked and have not really found a answer to what is probably a very simple question.

While using Flight Stream 210 w/ a GTN-750, can you change the display on the Garmin Pilot App or the GTN. Say I wanted to continue to display my flight plan on the IPad and wanted to look at just the traffic or weather page in the 750. As long as you play in the Garmin sandbox can I move within the app or GTN750...or are they really just mirroring the display from one to the other.

For a heavy IFR guy I can understand how being able to change the FP on the go or pre-loading the plans at home the 210 would be very useful, but being the CB that I am and flying as a VFR guy am I really just mirroring the same info on my GTN750 and wasting $1000 on the FS210 ?

Thanks,

Tom Winter

I'm in the process of having the GDL88 and FS210 installed with my existing 430W.  GDL is at the top of the pic and the FS is the black box in the middle...

As to your question, I'm not sure, but I bet if you called Garmin's customer service you could find a quick answer.  My experience with them has always been positive.

Another option would be give gulf coast avionics a call.  they are top notch and should also be able to answer the question

post-6885-0-83533400-1421289201_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I'm about to have the GDL-88 installed next week. I am going back and forth over the Flight Stream 210. I've looked and have not really found a answer to what is probably a very simple question.

While using Flight Stream 210 w/ a GTN-750, can you change the display on the Garmin Pilot App or the GTN. Say I wanted to continue to display my flight plan on the IPad and wanted to look at just the traffic or weather page in the 750. As long as you play in the Garmin sandbox can I move within the app or GTN750...or are they really just mirroring the display from one to the other.

For a heavy IFR guy I can understand how being able to change the FP on the go or pre-loading the plans at home the 210 would be very useful, but being the CB that I am and flying as a VFR guy am I really just mirroring the same info on my GTN750 and wasting $1000 on the FS210 ?

Thanks,

Tom Winter

Tom, On the 750 you will be able to display traffic only or weather only instead of seeing those features on the 750's moving map. However I usually have the moving map displayed with traffic and weather superimposed. I may want to zoom in for traffic or out for weather but I seldom go to the discrete screens. 

Bob,

I understand on the 750 and GDL-88 being able to single out one or the other (traffic, weather and overlay), If I have the IPad mini running the Pilot App using Flight Stream 210 and I change my GTN750 to zoom in on the approaching traffic will the Ipad continue it's current route display or is it going to automatically mirror over to the same zoomed traffic screen or whatever I change the display to on the 750. I guess I'm asking can the IPad and the GTN750 show different pages as long as it is in the Garmin format because it is streaming from the 210. Can I show traffic or weather based off the data being gathered from the GDL-88 on the IPad using the Flight Stream and the 750 remain on the moving map page?

Bob,

I understand on the 750 and GDL-88 being able to single out one or the other (traffic, weather and overlay), If I have the IPad mini running the Pilot App using Flight Stream 210 and I change my GTN750 to zoom in on the approaching traffic will the Ipad continue it's current route display or is it going to automatically mirror over to the same zoomed traffic screen or whatever I change the display to on the 750. I guess I'm asking can the IPad and the GTN750 show different pages as long as it is in the Garmin format because it is streaming from the 210. Can I show traffic or weather based off the data being gathered from the GDL-88 on the IPad using the Flight Stream and the 750 remain on the moving map page?

Short answer: I don't know. I do not use an Ipad or Pilot. I do have a Garmin GPS 696 "hard wired" in. The flight plan entered in the 750 displays on the 696 and the 2 displays are independent of each other so I can see a moving map on either devise while doing something else on the other. But NEXRAD and traffic do not show on the 696 and XM music is only accessed on the 696. I have a GDL 88 but not the FS 210. I think Marauder might be taking up a collection to help me upgrade my pitiful panel.

• Like 1

I installed it, but have not had much time to use it.  It is not just a mirror.  There are menu items on the iPad that let you enable various functions.  You can overly traffic and one type of weather.  It is independent of what you have on the GTN 750.  The flight plans can be made to sync. Nothing you do on the 750 other than transfer flight plans is mirrored on the iPad.  The data flows in via bluetooth and you select what you want.  The unit also uses the accurate GPS position of the GTN for a position source.  Additionally you have an AHRS for attitude that shows up on the iPad.  In some regards you get more detailed ADS-B information than is given in the GTN 750  Total targets broken down as ADS-B, ADS-R, TIS-B, TCAS Targets.  Also complete information in FIS-B weather.  For me it was worth it, since I was putting in the AOA at the same time, so the labor was just a little more.

Thanks Don,

That gives me a better idea of pros/cons. For the $1000 difference in addition to the fact they will already have everything apart to put the GDL-88 in I'll probably go ahead and step up to the plate and do the 210.

I'm stopping by my avionics shop in the morning to make sure we are still on schedule for Monday, I'm really looking forward to the install. Thanks again for the input guys. You've just help me drop another grand. I need to stay off MS, much healthier for my checkbook. We always like to help spend each others $ don't we  :D.

I had mine installed two weeks ago and just flew three hours since then (Today I am in a cold Washington DC...). I am using Garmin Pilot on my Mini Ipad, a GDL 88, GTN 750, 430 and 795. No problem in transferring flight plans between the GTN and the ipad. Really nice function. Otherwise the units work independently from each other. You can use them for different functions (displaying traffic, weather, etc.), giving you tons of options to have everything integrated. One issue that i miss on Garmin Pilot are the Jepp approach charts. As far as I know Garmin Pilot does not have them. So I have to switch between Jeppview and Garmin Pilot... Not terrible but I would have thought that having the chart option on the GTN that you would also have that option on the Garmin Pilot.

Overall, I like the system.

• Like 1

I had mine installed two weeks ago and just flew three hours since then (Today I am in a cold Washington DC...). I am using Garmin Pilot on my Mini Ipad, a GDL 88, GTN 750, 430 and 795. No problem in transferring flight plans between the GTN and the ipad. Really nice function. Otherwise the units work independently from each other. You can use them for different functions (displaying traffic, weather, etc.), giving you tons of options to have everything integrated. One issue that i miss on Garmin Pilot are the Jepp approach charts. As far as I know Garmin Pilot does not have them. So I have to switch between Jeppview and Garmin Pilot... Not terrible but I would have thought that having the chart option on the GTN that you would also have that option on the Garmin Pilot.

Overall, I like the system.

Oscar - that was one thing I noticed in the materials I read on the FlightStream product, it recommends you to buy the Jeppesen Nav dates for Garmin Pilot. Any idea why?

post-9886-14213246897884_thumb.jpg

I wish they had a flightstream "310". I now have an ADSB-out transponder - the trig TT31 which I got for the simplicity of the install as I had the KT76A and TT31 used the same tray simplifying the install cost.  So right now I am getting ADSB in on my ipad by GDL39-3d displayed on garmin pilot.   But flightstream 210 only parrots the GDL-88 as far as I understand it - shuffling the ADSB-info from the GDL-88 through the 210 to your ipad.  So I think I would have to give up ADSB-in information if I got the flightstream 210.  Ideally the flightstream 310 would do what my gdl39-3d does (ahars + adsb-in) + allow me to interact with my garmin 430W through my ipad. 

So while my airplane is in the shop this week receiving a new engine monitor, I had considered seriously the concept of gettng a flightstream 210 I decided against since it does not do what I want it to do.

I wish they had a flightstream "310". I now have an ADSB-out transponder - the trig TT31 which I got for the simplicity of the install as I had the KT76A and TT31 used the same tray simplifying the install cost. So right now I am getting ADSB in on my ipad by GDL39-3d displayed on garmin pilot. But flightstream 210 only parrots the GDL-88 as far as I understand it - shuffling the ADSB-info from the GDL-88 through the 210 to your ipad. So I think I would have to give up ADSB-in information if I got the flightstream 210. Ideally the flightstream 310 would do what my gdl39-3d does (ahars + adsb-in) + allow me to interact with my garmin 430W through my ipad.

So while my airplane is in the shop this week receiving a new engine monitor, I had considered seriously the concept of gettng a flightstream 210 I decided against since it does not do what I want it to do.

I don't understand what you are saying, the 210 sends you WAAS GPS data, ADSB in, AHRS, and exchanges flightplans, which is what you want, you don't give up anything

Okay, Confirmed with the shop and  it's a done deal. He is ordering the FlightStream today. The GDL-88 arrived by UPS while I was there. I drop it off at the shop Monday. Having the GDL-88D, FlightStream 210 and having the Lasar Lower Cowl Enclosure installed. Should all be installed and out the door for $8500 (not including the price of the cowl enclosure). Anxious to get it done. Should be about 3-4 day install for all of it.

• Like 1

I don't understand what you are saying, the 210 sends you WAAS GPS data, ADSB in, AHRS, and exchanges flightplans, which is what you want, you don't give up anything

Could be I am confused.  I will not deny that.  :-)

But I thought the 210 does not serve as an adsb in source like a GDL393d will.  I thought all it could do in that regard is to take a certified adsb in source, namely gdl88 and pass that along to your ipad.  Am I wrong?  I hope so - since then I will get one!

Could be I am confused. I will not deny that. :-)

But I thought the 210 does not serve as an adsb in source like a GDL393d will. I thought all it could do in that regard is to take a certified adsb in source, namely gdl88 and pass that along to your ipad. Am I wrong? I hope so - since then I will get one!

I see, yes, it pulls the ADSB from the 88

Oscar - that was one thing I noticed in the materials I read on the FlightStream product, it recommends you to buy the Jeppesen Nav dates for Garmin Pilot. Any idea why?

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1421324665.255491.jpg

Thanks, I had not seen the message. One thing I was very surprised was the lack of documentation of the 210. I was expecting at least a manual... but nothing...  I wonder if I could use my jeppview subscription for the GP... 

Could be I am confused.  I will not deny that.  :-)

But I thought the 210 does not serve as an adsb in source like a GDL393d will.  I thought all it could do in that regard is to take a certified adsb in source, namely gdl88 and pass that along to your ipad.  Am I wrong?  I hope so - since then I will get one!

You're right.  The 210 only acts as a conduit.  It has not receivers.  It conduits, through bluetooth, data from the GDL 69/A, the GDL 88, and a GTN and puts that data on the iPad.

Will the Flight Stream 210 only work with a Garmin Pilot subscription?  The main reason I was considering a FS 210 is to upload flight plans without having to twist knobs on my 430W.  

One of the avionics shops I spoke with said there is a free version Garmin has that will allow you to upload flight plans without a Garmin Pilot subscription.  I just paid for a 3 year subscription to Wing X Pro last year.   <_<

Will the Flight Stream 210 only work with a Garmin Pilot subscription? The main reason I was considering a FS 210 is to upload flight plans without having to twist knobs on my 430W.

One of the avionics shops I spoke with said there is a free version Garmin has that will allow you to upload flight plans without a Garmin Pilot subscription. I just paid for a 3 year subscription to Wing X Pro last year. <_<

It will only allow you to use Garmin Pilot. I hadn't heard about the "free" version. Be interested to know what that is.