JPI 830 For Sale

I'm about to make the jump from an 830 to 900 and will be selling my 830. The unit is 1.5 years old. I will have more details on the unit when I finish with JPI on the upgrade details. I suspect I will be selling it with new CHT/EGT probes and possibly other new sensors. Just depends on what I can keep and what I need to replace to make it primary instrument compliant.

The reason for my post is to give those of you considering an 830 in the near future a heads up in case you would consider a pre-owned one. Those who know me, know I won't be looking to recoup everything I paid for it, just looking for a fair offer to help offset the cost of the upgrade.

Let me know if you need more details.

post-9886-14212473932165_thumb.jpg

post-9886-0-26838500-1421246697_thumb.jp

• Like 2

I did the same thing last summer. The cht and egt probes and harnesses are the same pn. Fuel flow, tach sensor and oat are also the same. Oil pressure, temp, mp are different. Fuel pressure, fuel level and current shunt have to be added.

Thanks for the information. My mechanic is sorting this through with JPI. I will let him know the additional information. Appreciate it...

I did the same thing last summer. The cht and egt probes and harnesses are the same pn. Fuel flow, tach sensor and oat are also the same. Oil pressure, temp, mp are different. Fuel pressure, fuel level and current shunt have to be added.

A question for you. My EI FP-5L is sharing the same fuel flow with the JPI. The EI is also primary. Can this be re-used?

A question for you. My EI FP-5L is sharing the same fuel pressure with the JPI. The EI is also primary. Can this be re-used?

Fuel pressure or flow? It would be very difficult to share fuel pressure, but if I remember correctly there was something about sharing flow in the install manual.

Fuel pressure or flow? It would be very difficult to share fuel pressure, but if I remember correctly there was something about sharing flow in the install manual.

Flow (corrected my earlier post). Both have been happily working together sharing the flow information. I suspect I will need a separate pressure sensor for each.

JPI 830 is a great piece of equipment.  I love mine.

This is a good deal for someone looking to upgrade or install and engine monitor.

-Seth

It probably wouldn't cost much more than a new UBG16 like I have, and it would be a much better display.  If I were looking for one, I wouldn't have a problem buying it used from Marauder.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry for not keeping everyone updated on this. I received my 900 and will be trying to install it in the next month. It looks like my existing 830 will be sold with

- a new set of CHT and EGT probes and harnesses

- a new fuel flow sensor

- a new tach sensor

- a new OAT sensor

- the oil pressure sensor will be pre-owned

- the oil temperature sensor will be pre-owned

- the MP sensor will be pre-owned

I see Don has a trade-in 830 offer going on for $1,900 (you need to provide him a 700 series as part of the trade). Considering 4 of the 7 sensors sets will be new, including the expensive CHT/EGT probes & harness, I would like to get $2,000 for it.

Chris will it read FF's in the low 20's? Any chance you'd finance this unit for me? :D

The 830 is a great unit! Big easy readable display and very user friendly.

Brett - what are you up to? Fuel flow in the low 20s? I thought you were done with gas guzzlers. The fuel flow transducer is rated on my unit from 0 - 60 GPH.

I was just kidding Chris.  We have the 760 installed in the Baron but I loved the 830 in my Mooney.  Somebody better snag this unit up!

I would, but I want to replace the old stuff, and for that, I need the "certified as primary" version.

Just a quick update. I have a number of people who would like to purchase my JPI 830. I will be sending you a PM individually to ask if you are still interested and if you can wait until the unit is removed in late April. I want to be fair about this, so I am sending these PMs in sequential order of your original PM to me about the unit. 

Again the details:

JPI 830, unit is about 20 months old now.

Comes with:

- a new set of CHT and EGT probes and harnesses

- a new fuel flow sensor
- a new tach sensor 
- a new OAT sensor
- the oil pressure sensor will be pre-owned
- the oil temperature sensor will be pre-owned
- the MP sensor will be pre-owned

Considering 4 of the 7 sensors sets will be new, including the expensive CHT/EGT probes & harness, I would like to get $2,000 for it.

Marauder,

Nice video of your panel! All of your CHT's seem to be pretty close in temperature. On my J model, my #3 cylinder always shows about 100' hotter than all the other CHT's as displayed on the JPI EDM-830. I'm told by numerous Mooney Service Center mechanics that the 100' hotter is false, since the harness is placed around the spark plug ring?, instead of where CYL 1,2,4 are getting their temperatures. The #3 cylinder already has a CHT pickup for the ship's CHT gauge, so the JPI probe cannot fit in there. So basically I subtract about 100'F to my EDM 830's CHT #3 and that brings me in the ballpark of the other 3 CHT's. My ships CHT gauge only shows CYL #3, and that temperature is pretty close to CYL 1, 2, and 4.

Are you getting similar CHT's because your probes are all picking up the temperature at the same places?

Thanks!

Marauder,

Nice video of your panel! All of your CHT's seem to be pretty close in temperature. On my J model, my #3 cylinder always shows about 100' hotter than all the other CHT's as displayed on the JPI EDM-830. I'm told by numerous Mooney Service Center mechanics that the 100' hotter is false, since the harness is placed around the spark plug ring?, instead of where CYL 1,2,4 are getting their temperatures. The #3 cylinder already has a CHT pickup for the ship's CHT gauge, so the JPI probe cannot fit in there. So basically I subtract about 100'F to my EDM 830's CHT #3 and that brings me in the ballpark of the other 3 CHT's. My ships CHT gauge only shows CYL #3, and that temperature is pretty close to CYL 1, 2, and 4.

Are you getting similar CHT's because your probes are all picking up the temperature at the same places?

Thanks!

I will have to look at that cylinder to see what we did years ago. If I remember correctly, when I installed a GEM 602 years ago, I switched over from the gasket probe to something that allows both CHT probes to piggyback in the same CHT hole. There was a probe you could buy that replaced the factory probe with something that allowed the piggyback. I think that is the reason you are seeing uniform temps.

I'm going to be at the airport trying out new RAM mounts and will be pulling the cowling to make sure I haven't picked up an critters in the 4 week Ice Age I went through.

Just as a side note, for those without an analyzer, I think some people think the "hottest" cylinder is also the one that peaks first. I found that my #1 and #2 cylinders tend to peak first on leaning a lot more than the rear ones.

• Like 1

Thanks for the photo of your setup.  I'll call JPI about the piggyback.  I wonder why this piggyback probe wasn't offered 4 years ago when I had the 830 installed?  All I was told was that I needed a probe to fit around the spark plug, and that I won't get accurate temperatures from #3 cylinder.  I think JPI told me this.