Garmin GPSmap 696 vs Aera 796

jkhirsch

I did search this in our own community and bore no juicy fruit...

I've always had this question, and probably half of the reason I've never purchased one...

A few years into this, what are people's thoughts on the Garmin Aera 796 vs the Garmin GPSmap 696?

Every time I look into buying one I lean towards the 696, but the lack of a touchscreen I think has always caused me to pause, hoping for garmin to release a magical harmony of the two devices.

Reviews I've read on the 796 in the past lead me to believe it's touchscreen abilities were rudimentary.

I don't think I've actually had an hesitation on the 696 other than being locked into buttons.

Ive only the G296 but I think the operation is the same as the 696 in that there is no touch screen and has external buttons. using my foreflight on an Ipad does have touch screen and like fine wine and CD's vs records it is somewhat subjectiv.  using both and factoring bumpy air I prefer the control of the buttons over the screen. it seems like the tough screen gets harder to operate when things get busy or bouncy. MHO

I have both and think they will both do what you need. I don't know the little details between each of them but I did switched from the 696 to the 796 because I had switched from the GNS 430W to the GTN's with touch screens. After getting the GTN's with the touch screens I kept pushing on the screen of the 696 and wasn't getting any response:) So my recommendation is to go with similar user interfaces. If you have twist knobs and buttons in your plane go with the 696 if you have touch screens go with the 796. I will be selling my 696 but haven't got everything together yet to list it keep a look out for it.

• Like 1

I have both and think they will both do what you need. I don't know the little details between each of them but I did switched from the 696 to the 796 because I had switched from the GNS 430W to the GTN's with touch screens. After getting the GTN's with the touch screens I kept pushing on the screen of the 696 and wasn't getting any response:) So my recommendation is to go with similar user interfaces. If you have twist knobs and buttons in your plane go with the 696 if you have touch screens go with the 796. I will be selling my 696 but haven't got everything together yet to list it keep a look out for it.

I have the 696 and the GTN-650 so I have to deal with both interfaces. The 696 is on the copilots side and I have to reach over a bit and so buttons make better sense since I can't precisely touch the screen. Moreover, I get to deal with the old 430/530 interface and don't have a chance to forget it  ;)

Any thoughts on the psuedo-synthetic vision on the Aera, would that be a sticking point, does it add any value in terrain avoidance?

How about the actual function of the touchscreen, can it be calibrated, is it well calibrated, is it as responsive as everyone as grown to expect with the iPads?

I have a (touch screen) GTN 750 and a 696 backup mounted on the right panel. I like the touch screen on the 750 but think it would be more difficult on the 696 because of where it is. I use the 969 to access XM radio and to get waypoint (airport) info and to display approach plates. I don't think the 796 would be as useful for my application. 

I don't use Ipad etc. so I really prefer to have the 2 Garmins which talk nice to each other.

post-8913-0-45266900-1421186371_thumb.jp

I use mine the same way for XM radio primarily and a backup in case of a panel failure, its on the far right side my panel. The buttons on the 796 are huge and much easier to read in my opinion. I just don't have a problem reaching over but I do have a long wing span at 6'4". I like continuity and similar user interface, it's also why I switched to Garmin Pilot. Everything is familiar and don't have to think twice about navigating through the menus. I do think Garmin needs some competition but the total integration they have going on is pretty darn good.

I have the GTN 750-, the GTN 650, and an AERA 796.  All Gamin, and with a very similar touch screen interface.  I tried the angle AirGizmo mount, but it hid the right side instruments.  I have no problem reaching over to use the 796 (which I use with WX). The GDL 88 provides traffic and weather, but I really prefer XM, and moreover, I don't want to clutter the GTN 750 any more than I have to, The 796 is wired to the GTN 750 via the AirGizmo mount, and flight plans, etc transfer between the two. 

Photo:

I have the GTN 750-, the GTN 650, and an AERA 796.  All Gamin, and with a very similar touch screen interface.  I tried the angle AirGizmo mount, but it hid the right side instruments.  I have no problem reaching over to use the 796 (which I use with WX). The GDL 88 provides traffic and weather, but I really prefer XM, and moreover, I don't want to clutter the GTN 750 any more than I have to, The 796 is wired to the GTN 750 via the AirGizmo mount, and flight plans, etc transfer between the two. 

Photos: First photo: 696, Second photo: 796 replacing the prior 696   These two photos show the 430 W as the second nav-com.  This was replaced by a GTN 650 as shown in the third photo.

post-7730-0-99667200-1421190670_thumb.jp

post-7730-0-20509600-1421190791_thumb.jp

post-7730-0-74053500-1421192954_thumb.jp

• Like 2

696 with air gizmo panel mount and the weather is via the gdl-39 on glarescreen. I hid the wires for the gld-39 with power in far right side cigar-lighter. 696 is powered by ships power. I like it a lot. The blue-tooth powers pilot on a yoke mount for i-pad and also paints weather. Photos in my gallery of set-up. I like the big screen on the 696. It has been bulletproof through several years of use. Don't know much about aera, but LOVE the 696. I won't part with it. There is an angle mount adapter, but it covered my insight six pack left gauges so I didn't install. Good luck. Probably can't go wrong with either. Buttons vs. touch screen is a non-event for me. Keeps screen clean :) vs. my always oiled up Ipad...

I took the same path that Scott and a couple others have done by installing a Garmin portable, in my case the 795, via the non-angled Airgizmo to the right of the stack.  I have the 430W and touch verses knobs doesn't seem to bother me.  The only small issue I have with touch screens during the flight is that really rough air can cause you to miss entries when reaching over to the 795.  I've run both 695 and 795 (no XM) and both are great, but I like the 795 better now that I got use to the screens.  

My setup is very similar to Scott's also in that I use the GL39 to feed the 795 and iPad.  The GL39 is in the center of my glare shield and is hard wired for power to the plane's power via its own breaker in the new panel.  I also have a Ram iPad Mount to the right of the 795 running the Garmin Pilot App and usually displays the traffic and weather on a split screen.  In its present position, it sorta blocks my view of the transponder, but usually isn't an issue once my squawk is entered.  Unrelated to all this is that the iPad is sending music to the PS audio panel.  

And if all else fails and I have a total tech meltdown, I can pull out my iPhone and my trusty WingX app and get on the ground in a non-IFR environment.  To think we once only had VOR radials and ADF's listening to NDB's and radio stations along with some good old fashioned pilotage to find our way home.  

Don

post-7466-0-71574100-1421203234_thumb.jp

I have owned both the 696 and 796. The 796 is hands down the best portable on the market. I like my iPad for a lot of things but the 796 is designed for aviation and very intuitive. In 10 minutes you have everything it can do figured out. The geo-referenced approach plates are excellent.  I have in connected to a GDL39D and the synthetic vision is great. I used my yoke mount and mounted it on my center post - not ideal but OK. My only complaint is that a subscription for approach plates is too expensive.

post-8122-0-69135300-1421213632_thumb.jp

+1 for 796.  I've owned both.   Currently I fly a GTN and 796.   The 796 acts as my poor mans MFD.   The two units function the same.  Seamless together.  My avionics guy talked me into the 796.  I was a die hard 696 user and was reluctant to change but I'm very glad I did.

I can see the advantages of the 796 over the 696 because of the bluetooth support for the 796. I can't get rid of the GDL-39 (non 3D version) to get the data into the 696 which is the onl device that supports a wired interface to the 696 for traffic/weather. If it were the 796, I could upgrade to the Flightstream 210 and get rid of the GDL-39 and I would have bluetooth to my Nexus 7 running Garmin Pilot and to the 796. 

Haha, me too. Not sure exactly what made it click, just the general idea of getting the newer more scalable device.

I had just read some reviews a while back that the 796 was a terrific idea and somewhat bungled in the execution of it.

Probably also opportunity.

I did finally look at the physical specs of them, that may have contributed a bit.

I almost bought a 696 last week on ebay, but ultimately just made someone else pay what I wasn't willing to.