Specific ADS-B Scenario

jkhirsch

I have had the 430 530 & now 750 & 650. Have flown 100rds of hours with each. Can tell u hands down if I had to choose 1 it would be the 750. 650!to small and does not have all functions as 750.

I have GDL 88 as well.

Had a little trouble with my 750 this one is #3 in less than 2 years. Had only a little over a month no problems so far.

I also have the G500 with SVT.

Gave up XM weather but it is superior to ADS B in several ways including satellite clouds, time updates & more, but it works for me.

Bottom line I would Go with 750!

Advice free probably all it's worth

Fly safe

Bob,

Garmin watch?

No desire to set up your flight plans at home then easily load them into the GTN?

Best regards,

-a-

I use FltPlan.com on my wintel laptop to store and file ifr flight plans. They are normally departure airport, perhaps one wp, and destination. If ATC complicates it fltplan.com will email changes. It takes only a couple of minutes to put a new plan in the 750 or if I have flown the route before I will have it stored. I really doubt I could save any time transferring a plan from a phone or pad. I don't use a knee pad any more, I don't have anything hung on a yoke. I have only a very small ring binder and a pen. The front of the binder is for a flight log, date, tach, Hobbs. The back page is for a scratch pad mostly to scribble ifr clearance. - dep freq, hdg, altitude, expect higher in 10 ... squawk code. Life is really simple with 750, Aspen, GPSS. I have lots of time to take pics of the panel for my MS friends.

• Like 1

I use FltPlan.com on my wintel laptop to store and file ifr flight plans. They are normally departure airport, perhaps one wp, and destination. If ATC complicates it fltplan.com will email changes. It takes only a couple of minutes to put a new plan in the 750 or if I have flown the route before I will have it stored. I really doubt I could save any time transferring a plan from a phone or pad. I don't use a knee pad any more, I don't have anything hung on a yoke. I have only a very small ring binder and a pen. The front of the binder is for a flight log, date, tach, Hobbs. The back page is for a scratch pad mostly to scribble ifr clearance. - dep freq, hdg, altitude, expect higher in 10 ... squawk code. Life is really simple with 750, Aspen, GPSS. I have lots of time to take pics of the panel for my MS friends.

Are you telling us Peter Garmin has not convinced you of your evil ways and converted you to Garmin Pilot? Shame on him!

• Like 1

Are you telling us Peter Garmin has not convinced you of your evil ways and converted you to Garmin Pilot? Shame on him!

I had GPilot on my phone for 30 days but did not subscribe when free trial ended. The subscriptions for the 750 and the 696, no package discount for that combo, is breathtaking exceeding the cost of my annual or my insurance! Adding anything that has a subscription is a tough sale here. 

I started the process of upgrading my panel three years ago. I first installed an Aspen, then I went for a GTN 750, with integrated transponder and audiopanel. i added later a new AP STEC 55x and now I finalized the process with a Flightstream 210 and a GDL 88. Costs, I don't know... and I better don't know...

but I should be now ok to fly until my sons get the plane in about 10 years. 

• Like 1

Why do a new install with old technology, the installation costs are the same?

For an extra couple of AMUs you get current technology, and adding flight stream gives you the big screen view, best compromise if money is a consideration

I wonder about that as well. The delta between the 430 and 650 has increased but are close enough to make you wonder why not go with the 650? I see 430W units being offered by owners for $7,000 to $8,000. The 650 street prices are $10k (uninstalled). $2k to $3k more may be enough for some people.

At first blush it would seem like if you have to pay the going rate for any of the old stuff, might as well pony up for the new.

This rabbit hole was dug because of the $6100 530W currently on ebay. Which parts-wise is nearing a 50% discount to the new stuff.

I've had both the 430 and the 650.  The 650 really shines any time your entering anything.   Victor airways and the like.   In hindsight, I'm glad I purchased the 650.  The added cost over the 430 was worth it.  I think a flightstream 210 would be a compromise as it would add a lot of data entry capability to the 430.    As far as the 650 screen size.   It's to small to view all the data so I paired it with a 796.  Some pair with Ipads.  The delta between the 650 and 750 was to much for me but I see the attraction.  It's very, very nice.   One bonus for me with the 650 over the 750 is it allowed me to place all of my stuff in a single stack leaving the right side of the panel free.   Currently I have a 796 mounted on a plate on the right  side.  It has a nice angle toward the left seat.   I also had the shop make up an extra plate with matching paint so I can remove the 796 as technology leaves it behind.