Shoulder Harness

kerry

http://mooneyspace.com/gallery/image/29550-new-long-body-steel-cage/

Has anyone installed a 4 point shoulder harness in a short body using the roll cage as a mounting point from above.  Looking at the roll cage it appears that the cross member would be a good place to mount one.  Does anyone know how much room there is between the steel tubing that run perpendicular and the above aluminum skin.  I removed my rear dome light and noticed the steel tubing that runs parallel has plenty of space between it and the aluminum skin.

I think he was asking about 4 point belts, not 3 points belts.  I too was wondering the same.  My friends Baron has 4 point belts that have a retract reel in the top of the cabin.   In a Mooney attaching to the tube above the head would seem to be the same as attaching a 3 point to the side tube.

Seems like an owner supplied drawing to Hooker Harness http://www.hookerharness.com/aviationcommercial.php  a metal strap around the top bar.  a minor mod sign off from an A&P  might be the ticket.

From the hooker harness price list

2” Double adjustable metal to metal seat belt(206 series)$140.00
Additional anchors (per anchor)$4.00
Snap anchors (per anchor)$8.50
2” Shoulder harness, compatible with above belts (H or Y style)$105.00

http://mooneyspace.com/gallery/image/29550-new-long-body-steel-cage/

Has anyone installed a 4 point shoulder harness in a short body using the roll cage as a mounting point from above.  Looking at the roll cage it appears that the cross member would be a good place to mount one.  Does anyone know how much room there is between the steel tubing that run perpendicular and the above aluminum skin.  I removed my rear dome light and noticed the steel tubing that runs parallel has plenty of space between it and the aluminum skin.

Why? Why a four point vs. a 3-point shoulder harness in a vintage Mooney?

I have a 4 point in my experimental.  I like the feel of it.  I've had past Mooney's with 3 point.  Unfortunately my current Mooney only has lap belts.  I'm going to install shoulder harness's and I would prefer 4 point.  My thought was I could go through the headliner put a strap around the above steel tubing in the roll cage.  I would log it as a minor modification.  I was wondering if anyone has had their headliner out could tell me how much room between the steel tubing and the aluminum skin.  If the tubing is butted tight up against the aluminum skin maybe its not possible.  

I brought this up on the Mooney Facebook page. I have a Nascar buddy who owns an Aerostar and he suggested four point harnesses are not the thing to get anymore. There is data in the racing community suggesting in accidents, occupants in 4 point harnesses are "submarining" under the lap belt and that 3 point harnesses are just as good as 4 and 5 point systems are now the thing to get. Can anyone confirm this notion/data? Likewise, a 3 point installation is a 2-3 hour job with paperwork. 4 point can be several hours to days in labor (drop the headliner, rivet and bolt work). 

In a 6G crash, nothing is gonna help you, but my interest is not having my spine severed in an otherwise, very survivable off airport, low G crash landing. I just had Alpha 3 points installed in the Bonanza. It was a tricky STC that frustrated my mechanic to the point he called the STC holder. You will also have a drill hole on the outside left fuselage. In the Mooney (J), I bought modern 3 points from the factory. The MAC stuff is real high quality and there is no STC to deal with. Worth the $400 bucks.

In my previous plane, I had a 4 point harness.  I absolutely hated it, to the point of just using the lap belt.  Part of the problem is the harness was not the inertial type and really restricted movement if it was tight enough to do any good. Anyway, when I got my 231,  I replace the fixed belts with inertial belts.  I am quite happy with them, they fit well, and don't overly restrict movement. 

In my previous plane, I had a 4 point harness. I absolutely hated it, to the point of just using the lap belt. Part of the problem is the harness was not the inertial type and really restricted movement if it was tight enough to do any good. Anyway, when I got my 231, I replace the fixed belts with inertial belts. I am quite happy with them, they fit well, and don't overly restrict movement.

Do you recall where you got them?

Do you recall where you got them?

Some one was selling several on ebay.  From what I could tell, they are the same as Alpha Aviation sells, but quite a bit less money. I ordered 2 for the front.  Then a month later I was thinking I should get more for the back.  They were sold out.

• Like 1