(Video) Flying a Mooney to MIA (Miami International) with ATC Audio

N9453V

Nice video Andrew.

I was around there earlier in the week (but did not dare to land in MIA... went to Homestead instead) and have a few questions:

Which FBO did you use?

How long was your stay at the airport?

Were they friendly with small airplanes?

How much did they charge you?

How much was the fuel? Foreflight says $8.90 a gallon!

Regards,

Yves

Nice video Andrew.

I was around there earlier in the week (but did not dare to land in MIA... went to Homestead instead) and have a few questions:

Which FBO did you use?

Regards,

Yves

Yves, next time you are down there use KTMB (Tamiami Airport). It is more centrally located in Miami, caters to business/general aviation, full precision approaches if you need them. The FBO I use there is Air Sal. Nice folks, $15 a day if you stay overnight and the self serve pump is right next to them (currently $4.95). No ramp fees or any other charges. There is a Hertz rental car agency across the street from the airport that I use typically for $25-30 a day. Just call them and they'll pick you up. If you use the Hertz at one of the FBOs at the airport they charge you twice that amount.

• Like 1

That's good high speed communication practice for anyone new (or out of practice) to understanding IFR radio work...

The video shows an interesting erasure of the prop effect as the clouds cut the available light.

Thanks for sharing!

Best regards,

-a-

Yves, next time you are down there use KTMB (Tamiami Airport). It is more centrally located in Miami, caters to business/general aviation, full precision approaches if you need them. The FBO I use there is Air Sal. Nice folks, $15 a day if you stay overnight and the self serve pump is right next to them (currently $4.95). No ramp fees or any other charges. There is a Hertz rental car agency across the street from the airport that I use typically for $25-30 a day. Just call them and they'll pick you up. If you use the Hertz at one of the FBOs at the airport they charge you twice that amount.

Thanks Hector for the info. I used Homestead because of my planned Keys flight and everglades treck. I will go to Tamiami next time for sure. I am still interested to find out how well received was Andrew at MIA.

Yves

That's not ATC priority to get us around weather but they usually do, supposedly depends on how busy....

It's south Florida. There are no vectors for weather......you just get them. People don't get vectored into weather down there the way it happens in Baltimore or anywhere else. Just say..."no storm/weather equipment". Andy...awesome video!!!!

Nice video Andrew.

Which FBO did you use?

Regards,

Yves

Thanks, Yves.

To answer your questions:

I used Landmark Aviation (the only FBO at MIA). I was the only single-engine piston on the ramp, but they treated me great as always and honored my fuel discount (I use them extensively at SAT and other airports around the US). I paid a $26 landing fee, $5 security fee and $15/night. They had a $40 ramp fee for a Mooney, but waived it with 7 gallons of gas (since the gas is about $3 more than at other airports.. around $9/gal if I recall, it ends up being equivalent to about a $21 ramp fee). Since the overnight parking was about the same as HWO or TMB, I paid about $52 to land at MIA, cheaper than landing and parking at YVR.

I was originally going to use OPF (Opa Locka) but the cheapest quote I got for overnight ramp parking was $50/night, so MIA was much cheaper and it was the closest airport to my destination.

MIA is a very easy airport to get into and out of because of the 3 runways. Most airliners use 12 or 8R during east flow and 30 or 26L during west flow, so you can expect 8L/12R. It's an easy taxi to Landmark when you turn right after exiting 8L. I've also used FLL (Fort Lauderdale International) and it was much more congested due to the single runway when I was in there.

-Andrew

It's south Florida. There are no vectors for weather......you just get them. People don't get vectored into weather down there the way it happens in Baltimore or anywhere else. Just say..."no storm/weather equipment". Andy...awesome video!!!!

Thanks, 52H. Yah, I've had the same experience in Florida. Just like in the video, I'm almost always offered a vector before I even request it. The controllers are great and work around the weather.

-Andrew

I was originally going to use OPF (Opa Locka) but the cheapest quote I got for overnight ramp parking was $50/night, so MIA was much cheaper and it was the closest airport to my destination.

FYI, Fontainebleu Aviation at KOPF will waive their ramp and overnight fee for 8 gallons.  They also operate the SS pump and you can use that towards your minimum.

FYI, Fontainebleu Aviation at KOPF will waive their ramp and overnight fee for 8 gallons.  They also operate the SS pump and you can use that towards your minimum.

That's true, but if you're there for a week, it's $300 at OPF and around $157 at MIA (including the difference in fuel price).

-Andrew

• Like 1

That's true, but if you're there for a week, it's $300 at OPF and around $157 at MIA (including the difference in fuel price).

-Andrew

Earlier this year while I was there I used Fontainebleau and their charge for a Mooney was twice what they charged for a C-172. I asked the lady at the FBO why and she did not know. She was just reading from a list at the front desk. I told her my M20C was no bigger than a C-172 and pointed to my airplane parked right outside the door. She gave me the C-172 rate. Next time I was down there they tried to charge me the "Mooney" rate again and I told them I had previously been charged the C-172 rate. They gave me the lower rate. Sometimes you have to put your CB hat on to save some bucks :)

• Like 1