The nicest Mooney M10 Cadet ever on barnstormers?

Nice cockpit...very well equipped and clean!

It is a shame Mooney didn't continue this aircraft. The market could use a quality 2 place low wing. Sadly, the Piper Tomahawk, Grumman Yankee, Beech Skipper, and Mooney Cadet were all short run aircraft, while Cessna just kept cranking out the 150/152 line.

My other airplane is a '46 Ercoupe so these cadets have a special place in my heart. Mooney built 33 Twin tails (mooney a2a) before they got around to changing over to the cadet that they built 52. I have had the pleasure of flying 2 of the mooney a2a's and one cadet and several Alons. They are great airplanes, 100-105kts on 90hp.

The 152 was a short run aircraft too. I think the first on2 was '77 or '78 and only made it to '82?

• 1 year later...
Just now, bluehighwayflyer said:

Was your CFI named Clint Rockwell by chance, Hank?

Jim

It's been too many years--Dec 92-Jan 93 in Dalton, GA. . . I threw out the logbook in my third relocation after that, and of course the next year I started lessons again.

9 hours ago, mooneyblue said:

I am buying this cadet.  My only concern is the weight and balance issues.  Its empty weight is 1023 and I am 200 pounds. Anybody  have a current weight and balance for the M10 Cadet. I want to see the envelope under normal category.

mooneyshots8.jpg

I think the gross is 1450.  144lbs for fuel(24 gal) and you at 200 will only leave 83lbs for the second person/baggage.  

In terms of the balance, it's not likely you can load it aft of the cg with you (200lbs) on the front seat.  

1023 seems heavy, but maybe that is right in the ballpark for the cadets.  My ercoupe's empty weight is 899 with a gross of 1400. Also with 24 gal of fuel.  

Despite being weight challenged, you will have a blast with it. They are great airplanes, fast with the canopy closed( for 90 HP) and you can fly with the canopy fully open when less than 100 mph. Best way to go when on a hamburger run.

Dan

• Like 1

Sources of information regarding WnB...

There are two pieces of information that are important.

1) Aircraft Logs will have the actual weight and balance of the aircraft in question.

2) The POH will have a section on how to calculate the max Gross Take-off weight, along with the entire flight envelope.

There may be a challenge to finding the data because around 1970 POHs were a relatively new phenomenon.  Weight and balance info may have been kept on a loose sheet of paper...  (1965 M20C experience)

Fortunately, people that are selling planes know about these important details.  See if the seller can email a copy of the plane's log books to you.

There is also a couple of resources available to purchase an electronic copy of the POH.  These are great for reference.  They may not have everything that is in the plane's actual POH.  Detailed WnB and procedures related to actual equipment won't be in there....

Private Pilot ideas, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1