Today's flight

bonal

Great job, Dan! I've only needed bags twice, my nephew who wouldn't look out the window, and my wife's cousin taking pictures on a bumpy day. Neither had much volume, but would have made a mess. 

The bags are very thin plastic,which keeps the price low. Waste one on the ground so you can help open it when needed (not in the pattern!), and replace them every few years. Bags are cheap,cleaning your interior is not, and the smell is hard to eliminate.

• Like 1

Way to go Dan B., on flying them, not forgetting the air sick bags.  I thought I did good this past weekend, getting a family of 4 up for their first aviation experience, and doing another YE flight with 4 young girls, ages 6 to 13.  It is sure rewarding to take people up for their first flight ever.  I once took an 84 year old grandmother of an acquaintance up for her first flight.  It was a birthday present for the guys grandmother, and her request.  This was probably 15 years ago, and I remember thinking about what she has seen in her lifetime, yet had never seen her world from the sky.  I asked her why she now wanted to go flying, she said " I wanted to do this before I croak".

Just about the last of our colors.  Most of the leaves are already gone.  Sorry for the reflection of my rocker switches in the picture

Iphone_10-18-15_018.thumb.JPG.6ea2ee5108    

Excuse my thumb.  Here is the oldest one flying a Mooney for the first time.

Iphone_10-18-15_022.thumb.JPG.6ee5f1c0f6

Edited by Yooper Rocketman
  • Like 3

Tom..awesome, it's quite rewarding I was more excited than the kids, doing Angel Flight and Pilot and Paws (took 3 weeks to get the smell out once) is a great reason and provided me with a feeling of helping others but I got more fun introducing a whole family to flight.

Edited by Danb
  • Like 1

Just a quick hop to do some shopping had a nice push heading east for 180 ground speed Snoopy was real sporty today now that the temps have started to drop my engine loves the cooler air. Living in kind of a remote area sure comes in handy to have such a fast little grocery getter. Throw in a couple nice landings the second touch down just as the stall horn chirped makes for a damn fine day.

• Like 2

Departed from my last 2015 weekend Up North to cottages today.  They are three season and based on my having to spend about twenty minutes removing frosted wing ice with credit card and chip out fuel cap ice it was time.  Flight home 400ish nautical miles with a work friend and dog was nice at 6500 feet.  Smooth air and 145-155 ground speed burning 10.2 at 10LOP.  It was Clear-Clear and fun to site-see with someone that doesn't get up much in a small single engine airplane.  He said "I would fly to California with you"..I said what do you mean?  He said, there is a lot going on and you really take this seriously, I trust you. That felt pretty good...

I LOVE my Mooney.

• Like 2

Friday- Flew from Arkansas to Charleston.  Had a 5:45 am CDT departure and climbed to my cruising altitude of 13,000 between layers.  Got to try out my new Oxygen system I bought at Oshkosh this year.  Landed at Gadsen Alabama for fuel before going through ATL Center airspace as I have had them vector me all over in the past.  Had full service fueling done while I was standing there.  Took 24.6 gallons but the line guy tried to charge me for 26.7 gallons.  He chuckled that he must be dyslexic (he didn't even have the right numbers to support dyslexia).  This is why I always witness the fueling process after I was overcharged in Youngstown Ohio last year (equated to a 13.5 GPH fuel burn in a C model!)

Departed Gadsen and shortly after handoff to ATL Center...the re routing game started.  Look at my Flightaware to see the path they took me on.  Made it into Charleston without any issues and was surprised at the lack of traffic.  I was cleared to land as #1.    

After completing my business, I flew to Morehead City, NC to spend the night with friends.  Arrived MRH shortly after 5:00 pm EDT.

Left MRH Saturday morning, refueled (self fueling) at GAD and arrived back home in time to pull my cowling and do an oil change.  I have the best wife as she met me at the airport with dinner in hand that enabled me to tackle the oil change. 

Needless to say I was a little tired on Sunday.

• Like 4

Flew to GED today. I got an app in my iphone called Slow Shutter to experiment and see if it'll help eliminate prop shadow in pictures.

Didn't work 100% but helped a little. I still need to play with the settings. Has anyone used it or another app maybe to eliminate prop? Is it even possible to do this through an app? 

Anyway, it was a beautiful flight. Fall is definitely in the air!

image.thumb.jpeg.30140135690fab31726c836image.thumb.jpeg.a016cb527b771e1c009ba30image.thumb.jpeg.ed0c48c95268db04f2a141bimage.thumb.jpeg.342458eb3dc8bc277a4ee8b

Edited by PTK
  • Like 1

Wife and I actually had a day off together today so we piled into the plane with the toddler and headed south of Pittsburgh to Ohiopyle and Nemacolin to do some sightseeing along the river. Fun terrain and pretty fall views. On the way I did an ILS practice approach to KLBE's 23. Someone must have been pinging an ADS-B tower around there because I was getting full traffic on the Stratus and it was great. In fact I picked up on a target on foreflight, foreflight gave me an alert, and I already had the traffic in sight by the time ATC called it. Wife was impressed and may let me do avionics work before Dec 2019. It was also fun getting a request from approach to slow down on the ILS for sequence. Our Mooneys are cool like that.

It was a great day for GA. Seemed alive for once. At the home drone Rostraver we had one of the Snoopy blimps hanging out on its mooring prior to the steelers game. I saw three different T-36's buzzing around the field doing breaks and generally showing off for no good reason :-). Then a lancair legacy and an RV8 did a more impressive pattern to show up the T36's. There was a amphibian C182 buzzing around, and a beautiful C195 with a great sounding radial engine in addition to the train of C's B's and P's that were flying today.

Embarrassing moment. Flew midfield looking for the windsock to try to figure out what the wind was actually up to. Couldn't see it too well but eventually got it. Should have used the giant windsock that is the Snoopy blimp. Doh. My daughter refered to it as big blue dog balloon. Fun stuff.

Although I didn't get to install my new LED landing light as I was told I had had enough fun with the mistress, I left the old GE on the entire flight just to see what it's like. Of course I considered myself infinitely more visible.

We finished the day with a good lunch at the airport restaurant.

9903c984180f3549ca6021b9e7a8b0d2.jpg

2b22fb275c79a54f344f0e4037a17bc2.jpg

bb396d7662136bbc16856da96db8af70.jpg

Happy Halloween.

1b4bdfe00ed7052f1c2cde9162065523.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Well, Austin TX got hammered with 14 inches or ran last Friday.  It flooded the local tower and radar.  The FAA have moved in a temporary tower and Houston is covering approach control.  Today I went to leave KGTU (north side of Austin) with 600 foot ceilings.  Another Mooney and I sat for 20+ minutes just waiting for an IFR clearance.  When we got it, it came with the release.  Flight following is non-existent.  I sure hope this doesn't last long.

On the positive side, the weather finally cleared after lunch.  I stopped at T74 on the way home and I flew a gyro plane for the first time.  I can see where these would be really fun in the right places. Maybe Florida.   --But every cross country would be at 500ft agl.

IMAG1272.jpg

• Like 5

Quick trip to LVK for B day celebrations. Fall weather is so nice for flight. Snoopy loves cooler air been a couple weeks and great to be above it all again. Anybody going to the Jets game tomorrow my nephew will be playing the anthem and half time show at the game.

Finally had a nice day in Mojave where it was not gusting to 35kts. Had 3 flights great flights post annual. Made the airplane better in many ways. Corrected some roll tendicies. Re-rigged almost everything. Painted several things. Re-worked the seats. Mojave on the weekends is an Awesome place to test!! 3 large runways, Far enough away from flight school traffic, a great restaurant, and the tower is closed. However all the transient aircraft don't know this and announce their position inbound providing nice traffic awareness!

I played with several stall series configurations, the wing is amazing. I was light and with Slight power with flaps and it hangs on till 50kts. Did several no flap landings. I think with the flaps up the airplane has more pitch authority. I can get a higher deck angle, and slow down faster.  Fun stuff!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

Mooney, it's a lifestyle more than a plane...

Fly fast, efficiently!

Technical details, photo was taken using an iPhone, shared with my iPad, and uploaded directly into MS.  It only took one teenager and one spouse to help with the transitions.

Best regards,

-a-

image.jpeg

• Like 4

So today we took a short hop to KVCB and the air was perfect smooth clear and temp was a nice 50 degrees thought I'd run Snoopy a little harder than usual on the flight home 2500 and was able to get 24 inches at 5500 feet. Indicated was 140 knots translates to 153TAS. Did a climb at 100 and saw just under 1000fpm but that was at sea level so should be good. CHT was just under 400. While we were there we saw this Beech that looked to have had a gear up. Hate to see that.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

El Niño appears to be kicking in here in So. Cal. I did my second day of skiing yesterday day at Mammoth Mountian. This is the earliest skiing I have ever done.  I departed KMYF in time to catch a beautiful sun rise.

image.thumb.jpeg.3fdd06866d1452a69d37f45

And home in time to catch my son bombing some touchdown passes!

image.thumb.jpeg.d86ab19e28b4932aa7bbaa0

A day made possible by Mooney:)

• Like 6

It's that time of year when we all come from work at night. Air is cool and smooth with clear skies! Great flying weather.

San Diego Bay,  Downtown and Point Loma.

image.thumb.jpeg.1da34d7d897dfde5baa3abd

Mission Bay with San Clemente Island on the horizon and KMF amongst the lights in that darkness.

image.thumb.jpeg.618f7f77e36dcb8391c998c

It was an interesting night for aviation in San Diego. After landing after 4 other planes in front of me and plenty behind me, I cleared the runway and a lucky Bonaza pilot was warned his gear wasn't down by an observant pilot holding to takeoff. When I heard the chatter I looked back and he was feet from touching down on the runway. Then when getting ready to put my plane back in its hangar I heard someone call my name outside the fence in the complete darkness. When I walked over it was StinkBug and his mom. They where returning a twin that he was renting for his multi. He passed his multi check ride BTW, congratulations!!! He took his mom for a sunset ride around Catalina Island as his first passenger in a twin, cool! They got stuck at KMYF because of a nasty helicopter accident at KCRQ where he's based so they couldn't return in his Mooney. The good  thing is we all had dinner at the local Mexican restruant then I drove them back to KCRQ.

• Like 5

I believe I saw video on the national news showing that copter coming apart.  Two dead.  Story said they were landing struck tail and spun out of control and burst into flames as it disintegrated.

Bad day.  Glad you both had what look like absolutely beautiful flights.  Thanks for sharing the pics.  I have had some fantastic time spent in San Diego on vacation with my wife. 

Edited by MyNameIsNobody