Today's flight

bonal

Flying home from VA to AL today, planned at 3 hours. I got to GSP and the mountains were off to the right. There was no wind and only little puffs of clouds over the mountains. I called Greer Approach and told them we were going to take a detour for "sight seeing" and asked if we should drop flight following. I could hear the envy in the controllers voice when he said "altitude and heading at your discretion". I flew up to Ashville then found Shinning Rock and followed the Blue Ridge Parkway for a ways. The reds and yellows are just starting to pop. I'll post some pictures when I can link up my phone. But here is the track log. Had to dodge some IMC as I got to the southern part of the range.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N1051K

• Like 1

My nephew just finished Army basic and was able to fly home for a few days so we flew down to get together for a family barbecue. Had to wait for POTUS TFR to clear. The flight down and back was very smooth and without incident. No pics but quite the beautiful sunset and looking east talk about severe clear the line between the mountain ridge and the sky was like razor sharp with incredible depth of color. And a joy to be in such a peaceful space above all the traffic cruising along at over 140 knots in our trusty old bird.

• Like 2

So here's one for the IFR guys. Waiting for clouds to lift or clear to make a trip to RHV if I were IFR we would be departing right now. This would be an easy instrument flight with a 1700 ft celing. Oh well even if I had the time I'm not sure my Mooney is even able to be IFR certified. Sure wish I was flying and not typing. But like with all things you have to take the bad with the good.

So here's one for the IFR guys. Waiting for clouds to lift or clear to make a trip to RHV if I were IFR we would be departing right now. This would be an easy instrument flight with a 1700 ft celing. Oh well even if I had the time I'm not sure my Mooney is even able to be IFR certified. Sure wish I was flying and not typing. But like with all things you have to take the bad with the good.

Well, it's up to 3000' now. Go!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What is the issue?

Mooneys are generally great IFR planes.  You'll get a lot more utility with the ability to go IFR.

Don't know if it has required equipment no DME it has a Gps but it's not supported. IFR would be useful for sure but its not in the cards at this time.

Don't know if it has required equipment no DME it has a Gps but it's not supported. IFR would be useful for sure but its not in the cards at this time.

It's really interesting when you look at how little is actually required as far as nav/com.  A transceiver and a VOR.

Not necessarily smart, but you'd be legal.

I'm not sure this is up-to-date:

(1) Instruments and equipment specified in paragraph (b) of this section, and, for night flight, instruments and equipment specified in paragraph (c) of this section.

(2) Two-way radio communication and navigation equipment suitable for the route to be flown.

(3) Gyroscopic rate-of-turn indicator, except on the following aircraft:

(i) Airplanes with a third attitude instrument system usable through flight attitudes of 360 degrees of pitch and roll and installed in accordance with the instrument requirements prescribed in §121.305(j) of this chapter; and

(ii) Rotorcraft with a third attitude instrument system usable through flight attitudes of ±80 degrees of pitch and ±120 degrees of roll and installed in accordance with §29.1303(g) of this chapter.

(4) Slip-skid indicator.

(5) Sensitive altimeter adjustable for barometric pressure.

(6) A clock displaying hours, minutes, and seconds with a sweep-second pointer or digital presentation.

(7) Generator or alternator of adequate capacity.

(8) Gyroscopic pitch and bank indicator (artificial horizon).

(9) Gyroscopic direction indicator (directional gyro or equivalent).

Today I flew with a coworker in his 182.  On the way back from a scenic tour of the west coast of Florida we stopped at Crystal River to get some brunch.  While ten miles out I heard a familiar voice on the CTAF.  I asked my coworker if it was another coworker of mine who is working on his private pilot.  He didn't know so I asked him to ask for his tail number.  The guy responded back and knew who we were.  We ran into him leaving the airport on his first solo cross country.  That was cool.

The solo guy is the one who will probably end up buying a share of my Mooney.  

• Like 2

Bonal,

Do you have a pair of nav comes?  A VOR and a VOR/ILS?

The pair of VORs can navigate to every VOR and each intersection on an IFR chart.  The ILS can get you down in many places.

The GPS can supply a great back-up if it is not certified.

My C never got me where I needed to go in terms of IFR training.  It had one VOR and a clock.  The world has gotten more complex.  It no longer accepts the phrase 'he died doing what he loved...' Drinking and driving are not acceptable.  Smoking is crazy...

Take a look at your IFR charts and Instrument Procedures in your area.  See what they require for navigation.

If this is of interest, start a new thread....

best regards,

-a-

GPS works but it's not current.

Is the GPS certified IFR, or is it a VFR unit?

If it's IFR and just needs a database, you can make it all work out.  I own and love my WAAS GPS, but you can certainly fly IFR on less.

Smoking an occasional quality cigar is NOT crazy.  It is called enjoing life.  Absolutes are for vanilla-lifers.  I see the world as a myriad of colors to be enjoyed.  Had you said Heroin/Meth/crack I would buy that and agree smoking cigarettes-inhaling death into your lungs is ill-advised...but at least it is legal and heavily taxed.

Now, for my flights today.  Return flight from northern Wisconsin with a leg in SW Wisconsin to drop off my four legged hunting partner with my son.  Really impressed with climb on this cool fall day.  1,000 feet per minute in a cruise climb all the way up to 6500 feet.  NICE.  Ground speed was only decent for first leg as there was a quartering head-wind.  130-140 knots at 10LOP=10GPH Fuel Flow.  40 minute second hop at 4500 was uneventful and got me back for nail-biter Packer game.  Rivers came to play throwing personal and team best 500+ yards against Pack D in a losing effort.  He played well.  6-0 going into bye.  I LIKE IT.  I LOVE my MOONEY :)

Dog had some sensational points on Grouse and Woodcock.  The twig of death (.28 gauge AYA #2) was in fine form.  Of course as usual 'ol Ruff won more of the battles than he lost...Weather was in the 40's and 50's which is spectacular for this late in the year.  A breakfast at Little Bo looking out at Little Star Lake (same lake and restaurant/hotel of Dillinger's shootout) was a nice treat before a quick hunt before departure.  Dew/frost on the ground with a crystal clear blue sky made for some stunning views in the woods...even with most leaves (except Maples) having succombed to Old Man Fall's winds.

Did I say I love my Mooney?  I do.

• Like 3

Just the one VOR with GS the GPS works but it's not current. Any way definitely want to keep this thread about flights we make. Perhaps an IFR will be in my future someday.

Fly with a cfii and he will tell you what approaches you can practice with that system.  Tons of them.  Vor, circling, localizer, ILS etc.  Might not be able to identify step down fixes without dme but you can still fly the approach.  

Nice description of what must have been a great day Scott very Hemingway Esk. Wasn't able to fly yesterday and had to miss an event my wife and I wanted to attend. Did get out today for a milk run over the hill with some beautiful cloud formations and the air was much smoother than expected. Nice ride on the elevator at 1200 feet per and 130 mph climb updrafts equals free gas. Snoopy ran perfect. My GPS is an old Arnav star5000 no longer supported. Even though they were very short hops still great to be flying.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

We flew to KGEV (Ashe County, NC) in the NW corner of NC from south Florida. The winds were relatively light until we reached North Carolina. At 9000 ft, they were out of the west at 50 kts. It was a bit bumpy and gusty in the pattern (apt elev 3200 ft), but only 7 gusting to 15 kts on the surface. There hasn't been a cloud in the sky, temps in the 30s in the mornings.

Mt. Jefferson, 4660 ft:

image.thumb.jpg.df11d1cd61cdc21e1fc2ada8

Base, RWY 28 KGEV:

image.thumb.jpg.d09399d4f1eff52fc21947c2

Blue Ridge Parkway:

image.thumb.jpg.af8c64a33ea8fe00a6ba0342

• Like 2

I got to fly a 172 with my brother in law (Commercial/IFR) and Father in law in the back this weekend. I was left seat. We putted around north Texas, saw lots of wild hogs, did a touch and go at an airport he had not landed at before, and went home. What was funny was he has lots of Cherokee time. He really did not like my sight line with any of my landings. I greased all three of them. He was not liking any of it, he could not get used to my technique. He couldn't argue with the end result. :):)

• Like 2

Woo hoo! Night current again after far too long. March? April? Thereabouts . . . Rolled two on at the home drome, tried to do some flightseeing and navigate by the roads, didn't work from 2000 msl (ground level ~700-750 msl), too friggin' dark except for the house fire.

the in-between landing was at AUO, three smooth chirps. The longish flight out was at 23"/2300, indicating 145 mph. The 15 nm flight "home" said just under 6:00 when I leveled off at 2000', WOT / 2700 / Full Rich. The awesome power of the C model! 163 mph indicated, 154 knots Groundspeed; OAT = 58°F, 30.23". I'm happy.  :)  

image.jpg

Yeah, thats the runway going between the big light clusters (shopping centers).

• Like 2

I flew into see my son for lunch at Auburn last week. War Eagle! Departed over campus and took this photo. Then piloted only by landmarks home to KPLR. Let's see, north to Lake Martin, right to Hwy 280, follow to the Coosa River, fly to the dam, over the house right to Pell City. Life is good!

IMG_3379.jpg

Edited by PMcClure
  • Like 2

Finally had my flight with some of the home school kids,wow,  this is not a racial comment at all, my audience today for my two flights were a home schooled Chinese family five little folks oldest 10 yrs old and Mom and dad none of which has ever flown not even commercial. I cleaned my plane when it was down for mags and yes I threw out my barf bags. Weather clear as a bell wind 350 degrees 12g17, but turbulent well first flight mom almost lost it when I turned base to final, little Chinese kids screaming in back seat , we landed and they were all excited and full of enjoyment...REALLY.

Next dad and two others, coming down the canal turning towards Kilg asked do I have a bag, ripped off my sweater and said use this.  Again on ground they were jublious and gratefull what the heck would it take for them to dislike the discovery flight? 

Lesson learned I flew for 30+ yrs. with barf bags in back seat until last week, then when without needed them gone...don't throw away your precious bags, and little kids love this stuff even though there stomachs don't ..cutest family I've ever seen. Today's flight. BTW they have all the pictures.

• Like 4