Today's flight

bonal

Three photos from today...

This is from my first flight where I was able to take the plane out of the hangar, do all the preflight tasks, fly it and put it back without any help.

simple pleasure to accomplish all those tasks.

thanks to all the MS people that have helped me get this far.

about the photos...

1) these are the repurposed tug and tow bars I used.  Making a tow bar sounds a lot more simple than it is.  Just a bit of loose fitting or flexible rod keeps the tow bar from working.

2) the red one is from Redline aviation.  It just works as expected.  Linn Kastan, the owner, is a pleasure to work with.  I had difficulty purchasing something that was specific for brand B.  How hard would it be to update the website to say Brand B and Mooneys....

3) the block of dirt was installed above my front wheel by some ingenious dirt daubers.  My plane has been in a hangar for all but 24 hrs of the last 3.5 years.

4) the block of dirt...again editing is not going to be my future...

thank you people.

best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 3

Woo-hooo! Anthony is back! Just took a little extra skull sweat and some of what we call "fixin" down here. Bet that makes your New Jersey breakfast taste better, too.  :rolleyes:  Got a little mower, some bar stock, a few doodads and screws . . . Now a plane that you can move by yourself. It's a whole different job than pushing around my little C.

• Like 2

We flew to Brockport, NY (7G0, near Rochester) two days ago (with a fuel stop iat KHBI, Ashboro, NC) to visit family. Because of the convective activity along the Florida coast, we went up through the middle of the state, and ended up passing Savannah, GA 60 miles to the west (we would normally pass about 20 miles east of Savannah.) We were able to fly in between layers and far enough away for a smooth ride. As a demonstration of the laminar flow wing, we noted that as soon as we encountered even very light precipitation (almost mist on the wing), we lost 8 knots. As soon as we passed through, the airspeed (and groundspeed) picked up.

Once past Columbia, SC, it was a beautiful day for flying, and the weather in Rochester has been spectacular. We fly back over the weekend (hopefully).

image.thumb.jpg.b9a1de21f8bfcf0f6900e8d5

• Like 2

We flew to Brockport, NY (7G0, near Rochester) two days ago (with a fuel stop iat KHBI, Ashboro, NC) to visit family. Because of the convective activity along the Florida coast, we went up through the middle of the state, and ended up passing Savannah, GA 60 miles to the west (we would normally pass about 20 miles east of Savannah.) We were able to fly in between layers and far enough away for a smooth ride. As a demonstration of the laminar flow wing, we noted that as soon as we encountered even very light precipitation (almost mist on the wing), we lost 8 knots. As soon as we passed through, the airspeed (and groundspeed) picked up.

Once past Columbia, SC, it was a beautiful day for flying, and the weather in Rochester has been spectacular. We fly back over the weekend (hopefully).

image.thumb.jpg.b9a1de21f8bfcf0f6900e8d563a385f0.jpg

How is Ledgedale (7G0) doing? I was based there until I moved to Delaware.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a small world. I learned to fly there in the seventies (don't tell my husband – he doesn't think I'm that old.) I don't know when you left, but there's a new EAA building on the NW part of the airport. There's a beautifully restored Citabria and Bellanca Viking in the main hangar. Walt and Gretchen still run the place. You'll notice our Mooney in front of the hose; we were only there for 3 nights and the plane was coated in quarry dust.

Ramp and EAA building looking west:

image.thumb.jpg.1ad4d3a17762d2f759afe3a1

Main hangar:

image.thumb.jpg.3f8016e2697cfbd85a5aa187

Since there was a cold front moving through the area, we left for Ashe County (KGEV) in NW North Carolina. The weather was not great until we passed past Pittsburgh. We flew over KLBE in Latrobe, PA – it's called Arnold Palmer Regional Airport. Pretty cool.

Another bad picture of bad weather:

image.thumb.jpg.e95c25b7a571275f75eb75dc

It's beautiful in NC. Last time we were here about a month ago there was a lovely J model on the ramp, possibly from St Augustine. Anyone from Mooneyspace?

• Like 2

It's a small world. I learned to fly there in the seventies (don't tell my husband – he doesn't think I'm that old.) I don't know when you left, but there's a new EAA building on the NW part of the airport. There's a beautifully restored Citabria and Bellanca Viking in the main hangar. Walt and Gretchen still run the place. You'll notice our Mooney in front of the hose; we were only there for 3 nights and the plane was coated in quarry dust.

Ramp and EAA building looking west:

image.thumb.jpg.1ad4d3a17762d2f759afe3a1c90783ab.jpg

Main hangar:

image.thumb.jpg.3f8016e2697cfbd85a5aa1871050c9f9.jpg

Since there was a cold front moving through the area, we left for Ashe County (KGEV) in NW North Carolina. The weather was not great until we passed past Pittsburgh. We flew over KLBE in Latrobe, PA – it's called Arnold Palmer Regional Airport. Pretty cool.

Another bad picture of bad weather:

image.thumb.jpg.e95c25b7a571275f75eb75dc1eecf242.jpg

It's beautiful in NC. Last time we were here about a month ago there was a lovely J model on the ramp, possibly from St Augustine. Anyone from Mooneyspace?

Indeed a small world. I was based at 3G8 for a little while, then moved to Buffalo (9G0) and then finally Ledgedale. I was there from '91 through '95. I flew back for annuals until 1998.

Walt must be getting up there in years. And that quarry dust was always a problem. Guess some things don't change. Thanks for the update!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's a great chop house at Arnold Palmer, in the old terminal. Took the wife there for Valentine's dinner one year when we lived in WV. Great cold weather performance, crank engine to level cruise 7000' higher with power set and leaned in less than 15 minutes. 

The food was pretty good, the ramp had been ploughed and the snow was piled at least 8' high around the edges. Nice larger than life bronzes of Arnold out front.

leaving that evening was my first experience with embedded centerline lights. I was cleared to depart, rolled over a couple with good thumps (no oleos, right?). Just before I began my takeoff roll, tower asked if there was anything wrong. Just a country boy not used to fancy, big city ways! I taxied around those big, bumpy runway lights . . .

Edited by Hank
Can't correct anything on the phone. Switched to iPad to correct typos.
  • Like 1

CYXY (Whitehorse) to CYZF (Yellowknife) on Friday morning. Departed 0515 am under an aurora borealis, climbed out of the Yukon River valley and turned on course over the mountains. Then climbed through cloud layers and a few snow squalls to 15,000, where I flew east over the cloud deck into the early colors of dawn. The skies opened up over Nahanni National Park and the Mackenzie River, treating me to a fantastic few of the Nahanni ranges.

12045395_10205290746764212_1715292216281499219_o.jpg

• Like 2

Went up to kgws to do some hiking for a night. Didnt take a lot of photos. Busy fighting the bumps. 

Crossing some rough country at 15,5

Here's a little aopa article on glenwood

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2013/January/1/Technique-Toughest-airportsIMG_20150921_133348.jpg

IMG_20150921_154506_01.jpg

Edited by peevee
  • Like 4

We left KGEV (Ashe County, NC) a bit earlier than we'd planned because the front which had chased us from Rochester was coming over the mountains. It was a beautiful day for flying, and we had a bit of a tailwind. The incessant rains in Florida had finally stopped so we didn't have to install the float kit. We visited some friends on the way home in New Smyrna Beach. Self serve fuel was $3.49 and we managed to squeeze in 72 gallons. It didn't rain until after we got home...

Daytona Beach:

image.thumb.jpg.d7dd247bf7aeb552accf232a

Sunset over the Everglades:

image.thumb.jpg.1b856d1b4a394512ea4f5cf4

• Like 2

Went one county over from home, two counties over from the hangar, for a Surprise! birthday party at the airport. The evening flight home was beautiful. My wife took these photos looking behind us, while I maneuvered to get the required views.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

Today was return from a fantastic weekend with my son.  I flew to PVB and picked him up on Friday afternoon with English pointer in backseat with cased shotguns.  Birdbag, dog food, Brats, Buns, Eggs, Bottle of Jack & Cigars.  You know, the essentials for an Upland bird hunt.  It was my sons first time chasing Ruffed Grouse and Woodcock Up North...That's Northern Wisconsin.  Hunter grabbed a "courtesy bike" available at lounge for short ride to cabins.  unfortunately the battery would not cooperate and I received a call saying it was on the charger :(  Not looking good for a late "first hunt".  Success, he used a trolling motor battery and the charger to get 'er started.  Quick change into hunting clothes (my old/younger me for him) and a pair of my boots fit him like a glove.  My words to him as we entered the woods?  The definition of a safe hunt is?..."Not shooting anyone or myself".  Yup.  Got into some wood cock and were successful.  He downed his first bird over a stylish point and with a little difficulty "I thought it went down"...suspense dog located it.  On way back to SUV (within 100 yards) I said "Back when bird cycle was up you could occasionally walk around a corner and a bird would be in the trail..."  "Dad, is that a bird"  Sure enough ten seconds after I say it Bader is on point and there is a Grouse BUSTED on the trail.  Bird Down!

The flight back was SLOW.  Direct headwind saw 120 knot ground speed at 4500 below the cloud deck.  Stayed low as weather said overcas at 4000 at PVB...Not so much.  Taxing in I wanted to get fuel as it is $4.50ish vs. $6.00 bucks at home.  Instructor and student talking at front of nice 140 Warrior...Blocking pump (sigh)  I slow and nod/point at pump.  He nods and student is in bird and he does an awesome jump onto wing walk from front of plane.  Under a minute they clear pump.  NICE.  Unload son and load up fuel and off for a short hop home.  Even at 120 knots 3.5 hours with a fuel stop/unloading at two locations and getting plane in hanger and drive home vs. a 6.5 hour drive is AWESOME.  I love GA and I LOVE my Mooney.

And I love Ruffed Grouse.  Yum Yum.  Woodcock...Rumakee's anyone :)

• Like 3

Seems like it's been way too long since I've been able to take to the sky. It's like there is pre valley fire life and post fire life. So since getting my plug issue fixed but not answered my wife and I flew to o69 for breakfast. Someone said the Two Niner Diner had gone a bit down hill let me say not so food and service was great and the breakfast burrito is fantastic. On our return trip we over flew the TFR still in place for the fire. The destruction is incredible as I knew it would be as I have been all through it on the ground. Our Mooney (Snoopy) ran great and it was so good to be back in the sky again.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2