Today's flight

bonal

40 minutes ago, kmyfm20s said:

I have access to a friends Hangar and car. When that's not available I have used taxi, shuttles, and rental cars. If it's just 1 person shuttle is the most economical, 2 or more then look into taxi or rental. If your going just for the day taxi or shuttle are the most convent because they drop off and pick at the slope. No walking or mountian shuttle to the car. You can rent equipment at the slope around $45. I usually bring my own but I have been demoing new ski's which I do at the slope. If there are any other Mooney skiers out there  I can give a heads up before I go and join in the fun. I always try to do day trip during the week that way I can get enough runs in by 2pm to burn up my legs and want to go home. Call Hot Creek Aviation the FBO and they are helpful. Gas prices are really reasonable for a mountian resort so I always get fuel when I'm there.

That'd be cool to have a heads up next time you fly up there! I've never skied Mammoth before and I have always wanted to! The fiancee doesn't ski, and has no desire how to learn... So it's always nice to have somebody to go with! The conditions have got to be amazing with all this snow we've been getting!!

On 12/13/2015 at 8:24 AM, MyNameIsNobody said:

More C's out there than E's.  I am certain it is because they were/are the better plane given the choice between both.

This entire argument is just plain silly but if this makes you feel better by all means keep telling yourself that. 

Just by pure numbers, the C outpaced the E simply because they had a two year head start on production (1962 versus 1964).  On the back end of the production, the E model was not produced as much because it was lengthened and became the F model starting in 1967.  With the same motor up front and an additional 10" of space in the back, which do you think they made/sold more of?  E production staggered along for awhile before being discontinued in 1975. 

Total production C Model = 2199;  E model = 1478  (C model production for '62-'63 was 664 airplanes). 

Grand total for all production shows 721 more C models than E.   Last E model was 1975, last C model was 1978. 

Source: http://www.mooneyevents.com/chrono.htm

I have no idea what the numbers are out there flying today, so I can't make a claim that there there are more of one versus the other.

Given these are 40+ something year old airplanes, if you find one that is clean and meets your needs, fly the hell out of it.   I consider myself lucky to be able to afford a great piece of history and keep her in the air. 

Cheers,

Brian          

2 hours ago, flight2000 said:

This entire argument is just plain silly but if this makes you feel better by all means keep telling yourself that. 

Just by pure numbers, the C outpaced the E simply because they had a two year head start on production (1962 versus 1964).  On the back end of the production, the E model was not produced as much because it was lengthened and became the F model starting in 1967.  With the same motor up front and an additional 10" of space in the back, which do you think they made/sold more of?  E production staggered along for awhile before being discontinued in 1975. 

Total production C Model = 2199;  E model = 1478  (C model production for '62-'63 was 664 airplanes). 

Grand total for all production shows 721 more C models than E.   Last E model was 1975, last C model was 1978. 

Source: http://www.mooneyevents.com/chrono.htm

I have no idea what the numbers are out there flying today, so I can't make a claim that there there are more of one versus the other.

Given these are 40+ something year old airplanes, if you find one that is clean and meets your needs, fly the hell out of it.   I consider myself lucky to be able to afford a great piece of history and keep her in the air. 

Cheers,

Brian          

Thank you Captain...or is it major now, literal.  My tongue was stuck hard in my cheek when I wrote that...More is NOT always MORE...In this case it is simply "more of less".  Less Climb, Less cruise speed than an E.  Not much less, but LESS.  If Mooney started with a C and produced "Less" longer than "More"...You end up with More of less.

Less is More if you own and fly Less.  More is just...MORE.  Less keeps telling themselves that Less is more.  Less is really less than more...but more less out there than more...MORE, so Less is More to less.  That is O.K. With me, but stop ripping on MORE...less I think you really want...MORE.

I will just keep flying MORE and be happy.

The comment was "Hey wife lets buy the plane and we can take the christmas present to my aunt and uncle"   Operation Santa Sleigh:  260 mile round trip to Rockport port today and we delivered last years and this years present.   The only notes on the weather brief were "Outlook VFR" for most of Texas

12366335_1207760099238340_71659381213450

• Like 3

The comment was "Hey wife lets buy the plane and we can take the christmas present to my aunt and uncle"   Operation Santa Sleigh:  260 mile round trip to Rockport port today and we delivered last years and this years present.   The only notes on the weather brief were "Outlook VFR" for most of Texas

12366335_1207760099238340_7165938121345096354_n.jpg?oh=3abfa4cb9fa37988313fac152edec433&oe=56D748D0

Now that is really strange. You have a crack on your vent window in the exact same spot in your 1975 F as I do on my 1975 F!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great flight to day. 84R to KDRO with a fuel stop at KPVW which is within 2nm of being exactly half way. BTW fuel is $3.36 at KPVW.  

The first leg of the trip, 84R to KPVW was at 6500 to stay under the MOA's and under the WIND. At 6500 we actually had a 5 kt tailwind. I knew the second leg was going to have to be higher, so why not take advantage of the favorable winds down low while we could.

After a very quick fuel stop, we'd burned 23 gal, we were back in the air and this time climbing to 8500 initially. At the handoff from FortWorth Center to Albuquerque Center, we were told to climb to 10,500 for communication coverage. So we started a slow climb and just kept going all the way to 12,500 which is what we'd need to cross the pass just east of Taos. 

It was a bit turbulent on the east side of the pass but smoothed out as we crossed over with about 1800 ft of air beneath us. On the west side, we started our descent early to get the speed and also get down out of the 20 kt wind on the nose. 

23.1 gal on the second leg means we could have easily done it non-stop. But with airports a bit thin out here, it's always better to have too much fuel. 

We'll enjoy a few days here and then look for a good weather day to get out and head home.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...