Today's flight

bonal

My weekend was going back to WV for a wedding. Went north at 9000' indicating 140 mph; groundspeed varied from 140 down to 109 knots . . .

Coming back today at 8000, indicating 145 mph; groundspeed was mostly around 125 knots but a few times passed 130.

I had the great fortune to make a 400-nm trip with headwinds in both directions! Barely over 24 hours apart--I think we were on the ground for 25 hours. I must be doing something . . . wrong? right? Hey, I'm flying a Mooney in a third of the driving time, why am I complaining? (Another First World problem, huh? )

My detailed notes are in the plane, with power settings, altimeter values, temps, speed, course, etc. looking forward to playing with the numbers and see what the headwind components were, then compare to the forecast. No 3- or 4-way speed checks, had to go up IFR to get out behind the front yesterday morning.

My weekend was going back to WV for a wedding. Went north at 9000' indicating 140 mph; groundspeed varied from 140 down to 109 knots . . .

Coming back today at 8000, indicating 145 mph; groundspeed was mostly around 125 knots but a few times passed 130.

I had the great fortune to make a 400-nm trip with headwinds in both directions! Barely over 24 hours apart--I think we were on the ground for 25 hours. I must be doing something . . . wrong? right? Hey, I'm flying a Mooney in a third of the driving time, why am I complaining? (Another First World problem, huh? )

My detailed notes are in the plane, with power settings, altimeter values, temps, speed, course, etc. looking forward to playing with the numbers and see what the headwind components were, then compare to the forecast. No 3- or 4-way speed checks, had to go up IFR to get out behind the front yesterday morning.

Hank, did it ever happen to you that you had tailwinds both ways? To me never... Also, most of the times I find some headwind on the way there but I never see the equivalent tailwind on the return leg. I believe I read a while ago that the probability of finding a headwind is larger than the one of finding a tailwind. But who said that we fly because we really want to be there faster (we only tell that to our non flying friends of relatives to justify our trips). It is the journey that counts. My views from the Third World. 

On a serious note: looking forward to your notes.

Hank do you or any others for that matter review your flights on flight aware I know it's not always going to be there especially if only VFR flight following but pretty interesting especially when it comes to the various effects of wind at different stages of your trip. Even fully loaded and fighting a head wind we made what would have been a 13 hour drive in 3.5 hours

Hank do you or any others for that matter review your flights on flight aware I know it's not always going to be there especially if only VFR flight following but pretty interesting especially when it comes to the various effects of wind at different stages of your trip. Even fully loaded and fighting a head wind we made what would have been a 13 hour drive in 3.5 hours

Actually, one of the reasons why GA in Guatemala is big, is that the road infrastructure is bad and dangerous. So many people who can and need to travel around the country buy GA airplanes (mostly Cessna and Beech, depending on the money and places they have to go).

For example a 75 mile trip from Guatemala City to Retalhuleu may take you by car 4 to 5 hours, while it only takes you less than an hour to get there by plane. The only problem is the lack of good runways, charts and of course ATC facilities in a country with many volcanos and tricky weather . This makes flying complicated and dangerous too, but less dangerous than driving. 

• Like 1

Oscar, I've had tailwinds one way before. Consider this: I fly a 140-knot plane. My sustained, level flight ground speeds have ranged as high as 183 knots (43 knot tailwind) down to 68 knots (you do the math, it was depressing). So headwinds obviously predominate. At least most of my flying is either N-S or NW-SE.

bonal, I do review my trips on flight aware, but not to get exact performance data. I've been shown arriving at destinations to which I didn't fly, had half of my flight disappear, etc. It's great for a general review and to compare actual vs. planned and course deviations. Beyond these generalities, I think it would be hard to get meaningful, accurate data. There are GPS-enabled apps you can get to collect that those of data (cloud ahoy and others). Guess it's time to look myself up

• Like 1

First start of the day was normal and made for Yolo county airport a new destination for us we programmed the Garmin for our destination and off we went. As we were underway I noticed the steer on the Garmin was a few degrees different than my planned heading. As we were getting closer to the field things did not look right so I stayed 1000 feet above pattern altitude and once close enough it was clear we were over flying Woodland field that is about 6 miles north of Yolo.

Made the turn to the south which put us on the down wind for our destination. Small gathering but my wife won a raffle so that was fun. I'm not sure why but I think the Garmin gave us the wrong field even though it was showing the correct runways and frequency. Lesson learned trust your flight planning above all else when things don't agree.

Side note, I sprayed silicon into the bendix as recommended and since it was the easiest thing to try. Hot start was perfect.

• Like 1

Last Monday, KGEV (Ashe County, NC) to KVRB (Vero Beach, FL) to see the M600 Meridian. Instrument takeoff, and we flew out on the RNAV approach course keeping well above the minimums (for landing). We filed for 10,000 ft and Charlotte approach asked whether we could accept 13,000 ft over the Class B. We said yes (although the winds were less favorable); in the end, they left us at 10,000 ft and gave us direct Savannah. Sometimes life is good.

Previous flight to KCLW (Clearwater, FL) from the southeast, VFR flight following. We asked Center whether we could be cleared into Tampa's Class B airspace, but they said we'd have to ask Approach. Apparently Tampa Approach was too busy to answer any of our calls for over 5 mins; by then we were below their airspace. Next time we'll file IFR and see where they send us. We're pretty much resighned to a sightseeing trip; at least it's a pretty view!

• Like 1

post-11990-0-27602900-1429454275_thumb.jpost-11990-0-93424300-1429454309_thumb.j

Departing for LVK yesterday and we have a couple of Martin B57 Canberras that were pulled out of the hangar. Don't think they are flyable but I think they engines do run. Definitely not something you see every day.

Flew to Downtown Columbia SC today for the first time.   A VERY nice airport and friendly people.  The $10 landing fee was waved since I was there less than 2 hours.   They have a nice crew car and a nice BBQ place nearby.  There is also a B25 museum there and it's one that was recovered from lake Greenwood in 1984.  They are doing a fine job restoring it.  Weather was CAVU and traffic was light .

BILL

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Flew to BUY to pick up the neighbor (hanger owner next door).  Seems he went to breakfast club Sunday morning and a guy in a 4 wheeler backed into his prop and bent it back c 2 inches.  He took the plane to a shop at BUY to have propellor fixed and engine tore down and inspected for the "prop strike".  The insurance agent told him not to worry, they would get their money back from those responsible.  He's down for 6 weeks !!

Weather was  CAVU but bumpy below 4000... Out at 3500 back at 4500 smooth.  Very little traffic on the screen.

Bill

• Like 1

Having someone hit your plane with there dumb 4 wheeler would really suck hope they make good and don't try to short change him.

We took Snoopy for a grocery run to pick up supplies for moms day. Short hop to WLW was good to get back in the air as I have not flown for a couple weeks parked between a couple of BO's If weather permits will be going to the AOPA fly In.

post-11990-0-42905800-1431224085_thumb.j Departing 10

post-11990-0-87901100-1431224138_thumb.j.

post-11990-0-62978400-1431224205_thumb.j. On the ramp with the BO

post-11990-0-15376400-1431224296_thumb.j our east hills

post-11990-0-96400100-1431224365_thumb.j base for 28

• Like 1

Sitting here watching Indy qualifying with convective weather all around we had some thunder close by yesterday and I'm thinking I've been transported to the mid west. Only two weeks to annual and I desperately want to get some air time before turning the screws

It's a few hours later and we got a boomer parked right over our house the thunder is quite soothing and now the much needed rain is falling. At least if it's going to keep me on the ground I get my garden watered

Having someone hit your plane with there dumb 4 wheeler would really suck hope they make good and don't try to short change him.

We took Snoopy for a grocery run to pick up supplies for moms day. Short hop to WLW was good to get back in the air as I have not flown for a couple weeks parked between a couple of BO's If weather permits will be going to the AOPA fly In.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg Departing 10

attachicon.gifimage.jpg.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg. On the ramp with the BO

attachicon.gifimage.jpg our east hills

attachicon.gifimage.jpg base for 28

And people wonder why we fly... for views like the ones you posted.
  • Like 1

Yesterdays flight was KGTU->KAKO->KCOD.  The briefer scared the crap out of my wife, by talking about all the weather west and south of my path.  :)  The flight was uneventful, with about 1 hour of IMC, the rest was mostly above the clouds. 

Todays flight KCOD->KWYS.  It's only 90 miles, but I'm planing for about 3 hours to allow for sight seeing.  

• Like 1

Today the briefer actually scared me.  Call me a wimp, but I just don't care for Mountain Obscuration, Thunder Storms, and Icing.  Turing the park by car, we actually got hailed on.  --Still we saw two bears! 

We have been having very unusual weather around here build ups with lightning and heavy showers so I have not flown for 2 weeks and only 3 times in the past month. Finally got up today and man did I have some rust to shake off. Hope to get out at least once more before it goes in for annual next week.post-11990-0-29051000-1432427073_thumb.jpost-11990-0-76301600-1432427124_thumb.j. Looking S/E

post-11990-0-00611100-1432427369_thumb.jpost-11990-0-06537600-1432427418_thumb.j Looking S/W

• Like 1

First let me say I am a big believer in waiting out weather.  90% of the time waiting 24 hours resolves the issue.  Yesterday was not one of those times.   Attached are the pictures from yesterdays flight and today's ice forecast.

post-9008-0-76245800-1432577629_thumb.jp post-9008-0-11906000-1432577638_thumb.jp post-9008-0-90406600-1432577642_thumb.jp

I left Cody WY yesterday, a day ahead of schedule to avoid the weather that is now hitting the Austin area.  I would have waited, but the weather pattern seems stagnant and I might have been sitting for a week+.  In any case, yesterday was a better decision than today.   The ice forecast is worse today and my destination currently has tornado warnings.

The flight started by flying the obstacle departure and then up to 17,000.  After about 45 minutes of solid IMC, I started to pick up light rime ice and moved to 19,000. -Still IMC, but no ice.  I then got close to Denver and broke out on top.  A bit later, I had a few diversions for build ups.  And I made the mistake of flying through one small and isolated build up, which had a top, maybe a 1000 feet above me.  I expected the turbulence, but the plane was instantly covered in ice. I could hear the drops hitting the plane and see them freezing on contact through the side window.  I immediately turned right to exit, and let ATC know what I was doing.   --There was no asking permission.  I've never seen ice that bad, and I don't want to see it again.  5 minutes later, near Colorado Springs, I was back in IMC, but no ice.  Since I was over the planes, and knowing there was likely an imbedded fat cloud ahead, I dropped down to 11,000, which put me under the deck.  The remainder of the flight home was easy.

• Like 1

Chrisk thanks for telling the account of your flight I suppose if one lives east of the Rockies an IFR is the only way to fly. Was able to get out today even though we wanted to look for whales the layer was under a thousand and not going any where. Had some really challenging winds on the home landing 15 to 20 swinging from down the runway to 90 degrees left. Not happy with landing 1 so taxied back round for a second go. Next time made a much better turn to final and a much better landing (but not great) well Wednesday we start the annual and I'm hoping 3rd times the charm.

post-11990-0-08547100-1432610135_thumb.jpost-11990-0-49091400-1432610168_thumb.j some company on the ramp at VCB