Today's flight

bonal

Hopefully your story is from a few years ago when Pahokee (PHK) offered cheap gas. Since Landmark took over a few years ago it's now among the highest in the area. Clewiston, about 15 miles to the southwest, offers the cheapest gas in the entire area.

Yes, it was over 5 yrs ago, and they offered a discount to Florida Aero Club members. We haven't been there since Landmark took over; perhaps you can get a rental car now?

We haven't understood Landmark's interest in PHK. Landmark recently took over Key West (EYW); on the face of it, that would appear more lucrative.

So yesterday's flight was to give Snoopy a wash my wife and our dog helped making it much easier and more fun. The belly was quite dirty and I used Go Jo to clean off the gunk. There was another thread on what works for the grime on the belly. Using a soft brush applying the Jo took about 20 minutes and after letting it sit for a little while we sprayed it off. I must say I was skeptical but man did that stuff work.

post-11990-0-60475400-1426435529_thumb.jpost-11990-0-96596400-1426435555_thumb.jpost-11990-0-40028600-1426435588_thumb.jpost-11990-0-77580900-1426435613_thumb.jpost-11990-0-46764500-1426436239_thumb.j

Today the plan was to make what would have been my longest flight to date. 1o2 to CRQ and back just shy of a thousand notical miles round trip. Local weather was low but there was a way out CRQ was forecast good VFR but for the return my local was forecast to worsen. I made a promise to myself that I would never push my luck and advised my passenger we would not be able to make the trip. It's difficult when you make a commitment to someone but I felt as usual a conservative decision was best.

So right about the time we would have returned the clouds dropped and the rain is falling so I don't feel so bad about my no go decision.

Never feel bad about a no go decision, even if it turns out you could have made it. That is always better than the other way around. We've cancelled many plans.

We flew to the 2015 Seniors Soaring Chanpionship at Seminole Lake Gliderport (Clermont, FL). About 60 gorgeous gliders, all flying at the same time. Spectacular!

• Like 1

My most recent flight was was from KGTU to KDMW and back (15th and 18th of March).  About 1200 miles one way.  Going was really very easy and fast. Just a fuel stop at KBGF.  With that said, at KDMW the wind was howling from the north at 60kts (and 5000 ft).  It got a bit bumpy over the foot hills.

The return was an example of flexible flight planning gone crazy.   On Wednesday I left KDMW for KGTU.  The first stop was for fuel at KBGF.  The briefer said they were expecting fuel at least an hour before I got there.  When I arrived, they had no fuel.  I then flew to KTHA, which was 15 miles away.  I fueled and called the weather briefer.   Lots of weather between KTHA and KGTU.  He suggested a southern route through KAEX.  So I went to KAEX for another fuel stop.  (I really didn't need to stop, but I don't push fuel at night or with weather).  On the way, I ran into some rain,and ATC lost communications with my plane about 20 minutes from the airport.  I only found this out  when I got close to the airport and wanted to ask for lower.   No response!  Lets see, I'm close to the tower, let me call them.  They just give me the same frequency where I am getting no response.  I find another ATC frequency (the one printed on the plate).   After landing and I get a visit from the Search and Rescue folks while fueling.   They asked if I was ok.  :)   I go in and check the weather again and call the briefer to file a flight plan to KGTU.   All is wonderful until he gets to the notams.   Apparently the runways are closed that evening for maintenance work.  I file to T74, finally landing at 9pm on a very dark night.   My fantastic wife is there to meet me, and tries to help by shining the car head lights onto the ramp where I will park.  --Unfortunately, the car is pointed at the plane and all it does is blind me.    The next day, I finish the last 15 miles of a very long round trip flight.

Was able to make the trip to KCRQ today down and back for a 7 hour flight (my longest) to date. Got vectored around a bit when entered the LA basin and had fun flying the approach into Palomar. After dropping my friend off and worked out my return flight went out to start up and no turn of the prop. Battery was down to 10.7 volts even though it was showing over 13.5 all the way down. Took a while but got a jump start and headed home. Took a little different rout through El Cajon pass then back into the valley heading north. Bit of a head wind but really smooth air all the way. Nice flight but now I have to figure out what's up with my battery. It's less than a year old Concord and never acted up before. Both starts prior that morning were flawless...it's always something.

Flew to KGTU->KGLS and back yesterday, a little over an hour each way once air born.   Had a great lunch at Gaidos in Galveston.  I do have to say I am not a big fan of STARS and DPs, especially when the intermediate fix is a vague pronunciation of a mix of random letters.  I really need to learn to ask for the spelling.  But, it always brings a smile to my face when I get the Industry-Six DP from KGLS.  The first two way points are SHYNR and BOCCK.  Proof that someone has a sense of humor.  And as many times as I've gotten this DP, I always get vectored to the west and a more direct route home.  :)

Tomorrow it's KGTU->KGGG where I drop the plane off for its annual.

EDIT:  Here is the picture of the trip.

post-9008-0-80234800-1427899985_thumb.jp

• Like 1

1o2 to kmhv Mojave seems like I'm having the early signs of a starting problem. Battery is good starter was OH less than 50 hrs ago and turns fine. First start this morning was normal. After a 25 min trip for fuel the restart failed to crank on first try second try was normal start. If I had to guess I think it may be the solenoid I have 2 more starts to get home and I think tomorrows first start in the morning will be fine. But second one may be dicey perhaps the heat from engine could be causing the problem. If it does it again and does not recover can you hot jump it like an old ford solenoid. My ignition switch does not have a push to start.

As for the flight was very nice and Mojave is a strange place .

1o2 to kmhv Mojave seems like I'm having the early signs of a starting problem. Battery is good starter was OH less than 50 hrs ago and turns fine. First start this morning was normal. After a 25 min trip for fuel the restart failed to crank on first try second try was normal start. If I had to guess I think it may be the solenoid I have 2 more starts to get home and I think tomorrows first start in the morning will be fine. But second one may be dicey perhaps the heat from engine could be causing the problem. If it does it again and does not recover can you hot jump it like an old ford solenoid. My ignition switch does not have a push to start.

As for the flight was very nice and Mojave is a strange place .

If it is the Bendix sticking, you can lubricate it. I was using silicone but it would only last for a little bit. Last summer I tried Deep Creep from Sea Foam and I haven't had an issue since. Just be careful not to get your alternator belt with overspray.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't think its at the starter think it might be solenoid on the firewall it has the 2 large posts that go from the positive terminal to the starter and I was wondering if bridging them with a screw driver would engage the starter like on an old Ford. Hopefully it will give me a couple more starts then I can work on it at home. Perhaps engine heat is making it fail it started right up this morning. Mojave is a strange place lots of mystery here. FBO at the old tower very nice and the restaurant is 100 feet from where we parked for the night.post-11990-0-59471200-1428106993_thumb.jpost-11990-0-35830700-1428107042_thumb.jpost-11990-0-87942300-1428107083_thumb.jpost-11990-0-94923000-1428107136_thumb.j

Don't think its at the starter think it might be solenoid on the firewall it has the 2 large posts that go from the positive terminal to the starter and I was wondering if bridging them with a screw driver would engage the starter like on an old Ford. Hopefully it will give me a couple more starts then I can work on it at home. Perhaps engine heat is making it fail it started right up this morning. Mojave is a strange place lots of mystery here. FBO at the old tower very nice and the restaurant is 100 feet from where we parked for the night.attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Do you hear it whine?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First start from Mojave was perfectly normal. Flew along the western edge of the Edwards AFB restricted and then made for the LA basin via Cahon pass vectored a couple times to get into Palomar. Had lunch and picked up my friend and after the plane sat for a couple hours it was time to make for home. First try it made the airline pilot noise again but second try started normal. We were at just under gross with the two dudes plus my wife and full fuel and bags. From sea level we were getting 500fpm at 125 mph flight home took 3.6 hours. Will look into checking out the solenoid but definitely open to suggestions.

First start from Mojave was perfectly normal. Flew along the western edge of the Edwards AFB restricted and then made for the LA basin via Cahon pass vectored a couple times to get into Palomar. Had lunch and picked up my friend and after the plane sat for a couple hours it was time to make for home. First try it made the airline pilot noise again but second try started normal. We were at just under gross with the two dudes plus my wife and full fuel and bags. From sea level we were getting 500fpm at 125 mph flight home took 3.6 hours. Will look into checking out the solenoid but definitely open to suggestions.

What you are describing really sounds like the bendix is not sliding forward to catch the flywheel. It will make a whine sound (not related to airline pilot being under the cowl) but will not engage the flywheel.

Bendix should be easy to check with an extra pair of eyes so I will give that a try. The more I can rule out or confirm the less money will be waisted fixing things that are not broke. THX got a bit of a post high altitude hangover today think I'll clean the bugs off the leading edges.

These past two trips down to Palomar and back were very challenging and I have learned a lot about BUSY airspace and dealing with ATC. Communication with controllers (my weak spot) has improved due to the exposure and time with my friend who is also an instructor. The LAX bravo is a very busy space and I am happy to have had the exposure to it. NorCal is much more straight forward and the SFO bravo a much less challenging airspace. My hats off to the controllers and to those of you that deal with such high congestion. Also got to deal with active MOA for the first time getting vectored through a couple of "hot" areas incomplete flight planning on my part. My trips were becoming somewhat routine (never good) these trips really stretched my muscles. And other than my intermittent starting issue Snoopy performed flawlessly and what a testament to an aircraft design at 51 years old.

• Like 1

Today's flight ... Toccoa, Geogia (KTOC) to Peachtree City, Georgia (KFFC) and back.

For those who read the Spark Plugs thread(s) you may recall that a big dummy, "yours truly" ordered the wrong plugs. The Mooney and the pilot needed some work anyways - so off we go to Aircraft Spruce East. I had called ahead and they had the correct plugs waiting at the counter, even picked me up at the FBO.

Filed IFR both ways but did visual approaches at both ends. At little gusty but nice overall. They were landing west at ATL and took me right over the approach end of the airport at 6000' and 5000.' First time at FFC, nice airport and FBO. The P51 based there went out while I was paying for the fuel. Missed taking a photo, and it sure sounded cool!

Sorry ... Still haven't figured how to re-orient photos on iPad ...

Approaching Atlanta,

heading South on the East side of Hartsfield

Falcon Field

Aircraft Spruce van

Sign

Entrance to store

Store ...

JC the "airport cat" a Falcon Field

If I ever visited their store, I would never leave!
  • Like 2