97 Encore for sale.......low time......well equiped

driller

I posted this a few months back.  Getting more serious now.  I'm in a partnership with another mooney and would like some good feedback on a realistic price for the Encore.  I haven't seen any other Encores for sale for a couple months.  Not sure if those were sold or just taken off the market.  A friend of mine has the Encore on the Controller.  Let me know what you guys think.

thanks

97'

555 ttsn

Good compressions

Annual due next Nov 2015

Long range tanks

All the normal avionics including a recent GTN 750 install

New composite O2 tank.

Paint 9

Interior 9

Northern aircraft but I have it in Boca Raton right now for the winter

No corrosion anywhere

Edited by driller
Phone number

While it's like a great plane, the price seems a little high. The time is so low that I'd worry about corrosion in the engine. Did it sit many years without flying? Only crank at the annual inspection? Those are my concerns.

On the other hand, Encores are great travelling machines, fast and high. I'd love to have one some day.

• Like 1

Definately not here to shoot any messangers. :)  I would have to argue that 180k is high 252 pricing and this bird is 10 years newer with much better equipment and upgrades.  It shows like new and no corrosion inside the motor.  Crank AD has been complied with.  The GTN 750 was 17K installed.  Garmin and the long range tanks are 23K in added options.  Would'nt these account for any price increase? 

I use it for commutting between Indy and south Florida with occational local fun.  I'm usually up between 15 and 19 thou on my runs depending on the winds.  It definately likes it up there.

I paid $200k for my "97 Encore two years ago. It has the GTN 750 but not the long range tanks with 635 hours. I thought it was worth the money then and still do. But it probably takes a special buyer to see the value, the need to go fast and high and since I was looking for the last aircraft I'll ever need to buy I was willing to pay for exactly what I wanted.

If you really want to sell it, pick the high side of whatever price you think it should bring, then reduce it by 3% every 30 days until it's gone.

That's how you find the true market price of anything.  Planes, real estate, vehicles, etc.  Set a reminder on your calendar.  Anything over 30 days at the same price and you're just hoping somebody with more money starts shopping, which is a bad recipe for selling anything you really want gone.

Some of those $180k 252's have been on the market for quite some time.  List prices are not sale prices.  

You generally do not now get any money back for upgrades installed, or not much.  50% on brand new avionics like your GTN 750, but generally nothing for long range tanks.

It looks like a very nice plane.  Good luck with the sale.

If you really want to sell it, pick the high side of whatever price you think it should bring, then reduce it by 3% every 30 days until it's gone.

That's how you find the true market price of anything.  Planes, real estate, vehicles, etc.  Set a reminder on your calendar.  Anything over 30 days at the same price and you're just hoping somebody with more money starts shopping, which is a bad recipe for selling anything you really want gone.

Some of those $180k 252's have been on the market for quite some time.  List prices are not sale prices.  

You generally do not now get any money back for upgrades installed, or not much.  50% on brand new avionics like your GTN 750, but generally nothing for long range tanks.

It looks like a very nice plane.  Good luck with the sale.

Good points Zane. I think a lot of "add on's" on upgrades don't fetch more money, they just shorten the sales cycle.

Mooney got the Encore right. I've casually watched the market since day one...1997.

Best as I can tell, most serious buyers for this bird would need a good PPI, including a peek inside the engine. Long flights and very low hours are a red flag.

Long range tanks on an Encore are not desirable IMHO, but TKS, glass, AOA, a JPI 900 and ADSB are.

If you are serious about selling it your asking price needs to be under $200K, and assuming no surprises, she will fetch in the 180's.

Good stuff fellas.  Appreciate the comments.  Everyone has their own likes and dislikes.  I personally need the long range tanks and could care less for tks due to the extra weight.  IMHO....literally......Mooneys should not be flown in icing conditions.  I understand that weather changes and surprises pop up all the time.  But for me, getting into icing conditions in a Mooney (tks or not) better be an accident and not an intentional flight path.  Don't beat me up on this, just my opinion and the way I flight plan.  I've been flying turbo Mooneys since 1985 and have never owned a non turbo.

I could be wrong, but I was always led to believe that the short flights in turbo aircraft do more damage to the longevity of the motor than long flights. 

This bird has been kept immaculate with very thorough annuals with the last having a bore scope inserted everywhere possible to look for any corrosion.  It has been in Wisconsin most of its life in a conditioned hangar with almost zero humidity.   It really does show like new.  Even the knobs on the panel show little to no wear.  When I made the purchase I had the same concerns that you all do about a low houred plane.  I had a Mooney service center in Chicago tear everything possible off the plane during the inspection.  Nothing in the fuselage or wings.  The only thing he could find was a small compression leak on the #3 exhaust valve.  So I had him put a new cylinder on it.  While it was off he got a pretty good look at the cam which also showed no corrosion.  This was enough to sell me, and I'm a very picky person.

I do appreciate the comments.

curt

There is plenty of light and trace ice that can be had on a summer day at 15,000 feet. Instead of altering course or altitude for a small little whispy cloud, it's nice to just run the TKS system. I've had ice on a couple occasions where there wasn't forecast for ice and the temps/freezing levels agreed. I had plenty of options to escape, but it still would have been nice to have TKS.

That said, there's nothing wrong with a non-de-iced M20K. I loved mine.

I agree.  Wish these could hold a little extra weight and be able to have both tks and long tanks.  But I'll always opt for the tanks if I have a choice.

If someone is looking for a clean m20k, I'm sure we would entertain reasonable offers.  Never know. 

curt

Yes. That does work.  But with full tanks........682 plus about 70 for tks liquid.  That gives you about 150 left for the pilot.  That doesn't work for most of us with full tanks.  I fill up my tanks and I can take 2 regular sized people almost 1200 miles.  My useful load is higher.  There are pros and cons both ways and I wouldn't say no to tks if it was already installed. 

Happy new year pilots

thanks

curt

• Like 1