Cargo Space M20R

ScottZ

Can anyone tell me the standard size luggage that will fit through the cargo door of an Ovation?  Better yet, the dimensions of the door space?  Also am interested in loading strategies when there are two folks, but quite a bit of cargo.

Thanks,

Scott

Baggage door: 20" x 16.5"

Essentially the biggest luggage that will go thru the door is the same size that the airline allow on the overhead compartment. For larger size you will need to go thru the cabin door and tilt the back seat. The M20R baggage area is much bigger than on previous models but the door entry is the same. I found that having compact multiple cases or duffle bags is better than having a large suitcase. For added cargo space you can remove the back seat cushions and fold the back forward. Beware that the M20R/M/TN can accomodate more luggage than a compact rental car. 

José

I'm with Jose on the many smaller bag theory.  I have to load everything from the ground up to the opening and place it in the hold.  It is much easier on my back to do it 20 pounds at a time.  I am a big fan of the Lands End style duffle bags.  Zipper tops and big handles.  They stay closed and are easy to move around and stack if needed.  Keep in mind if it is only two people, the back seats fold flat (remove cushions and head rests first).

Loading strategies:

M20C - If it fits in the firebird, it will fit in the C

M20R - If it fits in the Tahoe, it will fit in the R  (insert beeping back-up sound here)....

As always, watch your weight and balance....

I have an excel spreadsheet that I use for weight and balance.  Drop me a PM with an email address if you are interested in a copy.  (its experimental and is based on my plane, but if you are handy with a spread sheet it can be modified to work for you too.)

Best regards,

-a-

Scott,

It'll haul a lot of volume...  I took a whole landing gear from a Learjet to SAT once for overhaul, and found that Brian Kendrick from the Factory service center in KERV fits in the cargo hold and through the cargo door too...  (If you want the whole story, you have my email; let me know).

Thanks, this is great info.  I just flew from my daughters' camp in North Carolina back to Austin in our T206.  Of course, we were able to haul everything including a trunk and duffle that we would have otherwise have been shipped.  As I have mentioned on previous posts, we have the 206 for sale (when it will sell, who knows?).  My wife and weighed the merits of cargo capacity versus speed and comfort.  We both agree that we would give up cargo for speed, comfort and economy (especially making 128 Knots over the ground into a 20 knot head wind burning 17 gph for 4.3 hours on our recent journey).  That said, I do have two teenage daughters and there may be times the 4 of us fly cross country.  So I need to at a bear minimum be able to haul enough for two or three days for each of us.  This would be rare, but it could happen.  The rough calculation would be 120 lbs luggage, 500 lbs people.  This would leave us with the ability to carry 50 gallons of fuel roughly.  Running in an efficiency mode (not to digress on LOP operations here, I am sure there are other threads for that), I believe I could go further than 4 bladders could hold out.

Scott,

For small bladder people....

In the M20R, at 17 gph, I would be going 180kts+, 100 deg ROP with a big smile on my face, "comfortably" fitting 500 LBs of people and their gear.

For big bladder people....

The same load goes 145 kts on 10.5gph at LOP.  It takes a little longer.  The smile on my face is generated by the money I just saved on fuel burn.

-a-

Quote: ScottZ

Thanks, this is great info.  I just flew from my daughters' camp in North Carolina back to Austin in our T206.  Of course, we were able to haul everything including a trunk and duffle that we would have otherwise have been shipped.  As I have mentioned on previous posts, we have the 206 for sale (when it will sell, who knows?).  My wife and weighed the merits of cargo capacity versus speed and comfort.  We both agree that we would give up cargo for speed, comfort and economy (especially making 128 Knots over the ground into a 20 knot head wind burning 17 gph for 4.3 hours on our recent journey).  That said, I do have two teenage daughters and there may be times the 4 of us fly cross country.  So I need to at a bear minimum be able to haul enough for two or three days for each of us.  This would be rare, but it could happen.  The rough calculation would be 120 lbs luggage, 500 lbs people.  This would leave us with the ability to carry 50 gallons of fuel roughly.  Running in an efficiency mode (not to digress on LOP operations here, I am sure there are other threads for that), I believe I could go further than 4 bladders could hold out.