LED overhead instrument lights

17 hours ago, PilotCoyote said:

Not sure why, but none of the pictures are showing up on my iPad ...only the address, which doesn’t go anywhere. Alex, what method did you use to post your pics, as I cannot see them. Very interested in this project!

Ive created a new thread:

https://mooneyspace.com/topic/27776-raptors-led-torpedo-retrofit/?tab=comments#comment-457269

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2018 at 3:38 PM, TX-Champ said:

If you need an 1156 in a shorter type bulb - see this link:  

G18-1156 LED bulbs

It has what is known as a "G18" glass dome - shorter than most typical BA15s (1156) full-sized bulbs.  

My C-model does not have these torpedo lamps so I can't verify it will fit.  But, based on the prior email chain, I think it might.

Good luck, all.  

Bought these lights, still too big as designed.  I removed the bulb cover and they now fit perfectly and give decent light.  Not sure how long they’ll last like this, but they run cool.

That torpedo light is a tight fit as designed!

20D2F2A5-DDC3-44FC-AF76-34A86DDF4FC6.jpeg

86ECF8C5-F225-447A-B2B2-7963D9F35DB1.jpeg

I don’t have a dimmer on my torpedo lights, only on my panel lighting.  Can’t tell as far as brightness yet as I tested it on the ramp in daylight.  I’ll try to post a pirep when I use it at night.  Honestly, I’m not 100% sold on it as I had to remove the bulb inclosure to get it to fit.  The link works for me, picture below.  That’s the LED I used (minus the glass bulb).

505C725F-3A2B-40F8-9CD7-A3A422962B7D.png

2 hours ago, vorlon1 said:

Sorry for the bad pic, but here are the two bulbs (old and new) side by side in my 67 C. I was able to replace the bullet fixture without any modifications. 

20190111_170222.jpg

Which bulb did you use?  The one I posted above was slightly too big to get the torpedo fully back together.

5 hours ago, vorlon1 said:

Sorry for the bad pic, but here are the two bulbs (old and new) side by side in my 67 C. I was able to replace the bullet fixture without any modifications. 

20190111_170222.jpg

What bulb are you using?

Few years ago I tried couple of replacements but didn't fit the "torpedo" or there was just not enough light....

The GE 303 referenced last Wednesday. This was enough of a replacement (for me at least) that I simply replaced the bulbs, took a pic, reinstalled the bullet fixtures, admired my work by stumbling around in the (otherwise) dark for a bit, mentally thanked Mooneyspace.com,  and went home!

OK, now where was that post about someone selling 14V LED landing lights for my C model... :-)

Edited by vorlon1
Adding info
  • Thanks 1

There is a 14 volt version on the pilotlights.net website.  However, I couldn’t get them to seat all the way into my torpedo lights, so modified them as I described above... ie, they didn’t just work as an easy replacement.  

Edited by Ragsf15e

For back-up knowledge...

Mooney has been known to use 24v bulbs in 12v locations...

Usually for lighting the landing gear indicator at the floor...

In this case, the amount of light emitted is quite dim, intentionally...

in any other case... expect the bulb to match the ship’s voltage...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

Got out to the airport to take pictures of the LED torpedo lights in the dark today... just my luck, the one sunny day in Spokane all winter and there’s a sunbeam through a gap in the door right into the cockpit.  Like a laser beam of light.  Anyway, they seem bright enough, about what the original lights put out.  Definitely not hot.  Still tough to tell.  And remember, mine are assembled just like the original design, but with the bulb cover removed to fit in the torpedo.

in the picture, they are aimed in the center of the panel.

92766158-B637-4469-B048-43F3994DFE3B.jpeg

On 1/9/2019 at 3:38 PM, Ragsf15e said:

I don’t have a dimmer on my torpedo lights, only on my panel lighting.  Can’t tell as far as brightness yet as I tested it on the ramp in daylight.  I’ll try to post a pirep when I use it at night.  Honestly, I’m not 100% sold on it as I had to remove the bulb inclosure to get it to fit.  The link works for me, picture below.  That’s the LED I used (minus the glass bulb).

505C725F-3A2B-40F8-9CD7-A3A422962B7D.png

Rags,  are you saying that you removed the glass dome off of the 303 LED bulb?  If so, how did you do it?  Is the globe plastic or glass?

Thanks

36 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

I did.  It’s very thin glass and breaks easily. Don’t cut yourself!  It’s “glued” on with something soft like silicone.  

Not sure what the longevity will be without the glass.

It "might" actually be a little better with the air circulation.  Nothing kills LED's like heat buildup.  Granted, I'm unsure how much air circulation would actually help anyway...

I removed the globe from the LED bulbs.  Wasn’t hard.  Just broke the bulb in a vise, then used small duck bill pliers to break off all the pieces until smooth.  This allowed the torpedos to fit in place properly, but I can’t tell that the lights are any brighter.  I am afraid that the relatively bright light from 5he 430 and JPI will make it difficult to see the steam guages.  I will try it at night with hangar door closed and enough time for my eyes to thoroughly dilate. 

Thanks for the help.

Yep, I have a JPI 930 and 430w as well.  Wouldn’t want the torpedo to be the only light on my 6 pack.  I have led ring lights in the 6 pack though and they are awesome.

Make sure the jpi and 430 dim down appropriately.  May have to work on that with settings.  I have found their auto dimmer lacking.

1 hour ago, MBDiagMan said:

I removed the globe from the LED bulbs.  Wasn’t hard.  Just broke the bulb in a vise, then used small duck bill pliers to break off all the pieces until smooth.  This allowed the torpedos to fit in place properly, but I can’t tell that the lights are any brighter.

That is exactly what I did.   Then, I encapsulated the LED elements with a thin film of clear silicone to provide some electrical insulation.   A lot more robust feeling when inserting into the bulb socket.  Not necessarily brighter, but definitely cooler running light for the torpedoes.