Foreflight just announced synthetic vision!

N601RX

I just downloaded SV from Foreflight. Nice screens. Won't run on the IPhone. Even the new 6s. But it will run on the Mini. Split screen mode with the sectional chart is quite nice for VFR. I think it is worth $25 a year. I like my lifeSaver back up AI and the Dynon D-1 EFI for backup attitude, but LOTS more cost.

I downloaded it last night and played around with it and the Stratus II. Seems really nice, smooth updates. Now if the weather would clear enough I could go fly.

So what the next feature to be added? Garmin and Foreflight have both been leapfrogging each other with new features for the last 2 years and we pilots are clearly the winner. Where do they go from here? Who will be the 1st to add WASS approaches? (Just for frills and situational awareness of course)

It's funny.  Anywhere Map offered virtual ILS capabilities 10 years ago.  :)

FWIW, I have been wondering the same thing.

I suspect neither of them really want to do it for liability reasons, but if one does then the other will be forced to follow.

Without altitude, is synthetic vision really good for anything. These are not intended to be derogatory questions. I'm really ignorant.

I think you may have misunderstood Hector's comment:

get synthetic vision but it will not show your attitude.

That's aTTitude. Not aLTitude.

IOW, Stratus2 has an AHRS  (Altitude and Heading Reference System); a portion of what it in a full-fledged glass panel system. IOW, with a Stratus2, you will have an aTTitude indicator that shows pitch and bank in addition to the other stuff (GPS altitude, GPS track, Ground Speed, etc), which you will have with just a Stratus1 or a compatible GPS feed.

It's funny.  Anywhere Map offered virtual ILS capabilities 10 years ago.  :)

FWIW, I have been wondering the same thing.

So did the Garmin X96 series, back at least to the 196 - an HSI page that used GPS information for track, altitude, and HSI. Garmin Pilot has had that pretty much since the earliest versions.

cf-lg.jpg

That's pretty much what you are getting, plus the synthetic vision view, with ForeFlight if you don;\'t have the AHRS  capability provided by a Stratus2.

I used to own a Garmin 196, and a Garmin GPS90 and GPS92 before that. If any of my Garmin portable's included vertical approach guidance I was unaware of it.  Anywhere Map did, though. 

See my post #26 above lamenting this very point.

Jim

Ah vertical guidance - as in glideslope. Sorry, I misread.

I'm pretty liberal in my trust of non-certified GPS but I doubt I'd trust glideslope capability in anything other than a certified panel mount, even in an emergency. 

I've saw the ipad internal gps get off by 50-100 meters before. The Stratus usually show either 0 or 1 as the error. Foreflight has moved this info to the bottom left corner of the SV display now. I've had the internal gps drop out before, usually holding it to the window gets it back.

post-7624-0-68499000-1419973363_thumb.jp

post-7624-0-23271000-1419973393_thumb.jp

Asking again - I already have SVT on my iPad with Garmin Pilot, and full attitude with GDL39-3d and pretty accurate GPS source.

So is Foreflight playing catchup here or is their SVT somehow superior?

Given the same source hardware - GPS or AHRS - they are most likely all equivalent except for the way they are accessed and displayed. There might be some slight difference in the detail of the synthetic terrain depending on the source of the data but it's doubtful that it makes a difference for an iPad except for bragging rights.

ForeFlight has traditionally been more conservative about this kind of stuff than the others; that was certainly true about it being "late" to TIS-B traffic, finally giving into customer pressure to utilize the capability Stratus already had.

I haven't seen Garmin Pilot's SV and don;t have any inside knowledge but consider that Garmin is in the business of providing SV for its G1000 and other certified, experimental and LSA offerings. I wold seriously doubt there would be any reason for a satisfied Pilot user to make a change.

The G196 does indeed give some vertical guidance.

You select a descent rate in fpm and it gives you a visual horizontal line to follow.

It was WAAS capable before waas guidance was available...

It had a few key data points for approaches in it's database.

It is also a test of your instrument scan...

The line will appear at the top and move off the page to the bottom if you don't see it....

It is a nice tool for determining the TOD while VFR.

It is also a nice tool to give you a heads up if ATC is keeping you high too long for your efficiency goal while IFR...

G decided to support it longer than some of the newer color versions of a similar shape...

It's data update rate is measured in whole seconds. Using it as a primary Instrument to keep the clean side up would be a horrible idea in bumpy IMC.

Best regards,

-a-

I flew with it today. It's nice and horizontally a great tool. Practicing a VFR Gps approach to RST 31, I was able to use it to line up with the runway while following the glide slope to the ground . It's spot on, or at least on this approach it is.

Amazing that if the nose wheel went 1' left of the center line it showed up on the screen.

If they keep working on it and add the approach boxes I believe it could be used in a emergency to land IFR, with only reference to Airspeed, as it obviously shows only ground speed.

Neat stuff.

• Like 1

But not vertical approach guidance. Agreed with midlifeflyer, though, that on a portable it would be a mere novelty in the absence of a very, very bad situation. A HSI superimposed over the SV would be nice for the VFR masses, though.

But the Aera 560 will show vertical guidance not only for those runways with approaches but for those with no approaches also, using the OBS function. It will also show vertical guidance and required vertical speed on the moving map. It will also voice annunciate when at 500ft height from runway end. This feature is very useful for avoiding a too high altitude/speed condition when approaching the runway. A must for turbo Mooneys. SVT does not provide vertical guidance

José

post-6932-0-95626700-1419997059_thumb.jp

Got a chance to play with the new SV from Foreflight the other day.  Very impressive.  Kind of boring in Florida as it's all flat but approaching the runway, really showed me what it was capable of.............until I'm flying around the mountainous terrain.  I was the non flying pilot on this leg so I was snapping screen shots down final approach.  We were actually a bit to the left of centerline and Foreflight was "dead nuts on" with our position over the runway!

It took them a bit to bring SV to us but they nailed it.

post-7889-0-16369400-1420116742_thumb.pn

post-7889-0-63231000-1420116819_thumb.pn

post-7889-0-99189800-1420116860_thumb.pn

Got a chance to play with the new SV from Foreflight the other day.  Very impressive.  Kind of boring in Florida as it's all flat but approaching the runway, really showed me what it was capable of.............until I'm flying around the mountainous terrain.  I was the non flying pilot on this leg so I was snapping screen shots down final approach.  We were actually a bit to the left of centerline and Foreflight was "dead nuts on" with our position over the runway!

It took them a bit to bring SV to us but they nailed it.

No photos but I got a chance to fly with it today without the attitude reference (no Stratus 2 with AHRS, just a GPS feed). Still pretty impressive.

Tried out the Foreflight SV Today on a flight from San Carlos to San Luis Obispo. Nice renderings, but without attitude information , of little use in my opinion. On the other hand the new weather forecasting tools are impressive. If you already have ABS-B in/out then not much point in buying a Stratus for AHRS. A Dynon D1 or D2 is a great EFIS, and if you have an extra instrument hole in your panel, Dynon has a snap in fitting that can use the hole, and still keep the Dynon as a "portable" unit.

Tried out the Foreflight SV Today on a flight from San Carlos to San Luis Obispo. Nice renderings, but without attitude information , of little use in my opinion. 

Some years ago, when I had a Garmin GPSMap296, I turned to the HSI page to do some partial panel work. My friend and safety pilot was amazed at how accurately I flew because he didn't realize I had an HSI in front of me.

I've always found that my only real issue with traditional partial panel (loss of vacuum instruments) was not the loss of the AI but the loss of the DG. What consistently threw me a bit was the mental arithmetic of determining how many degrees to turn to get to a new heading and then dividing by 3 to give me the number of seconds to time the turn. None of the tops and tricks (even the ones I taught to others) worked well for me. The HSI page took that issue away completely. No arithmetic. No timed turns. No lead-lag. Just nice turns to headings depicted on an HSI.

Without AHRS, the HSI in ForeFlight's SV still accomplishes the same. The HSI alone is worth the price of admission to me and is a bit more to me than "of little use" in case of emergency. I agree it's mostly a pretty toy beyond that.

I guess I was personalizing my comments as to the usefulness of the HSI presentation on the new Foreflight SV option. The HSI function is quite nice, but I already have a certified HSI, plus the GTNs, the AERA 796, and the Dynon D-1. Having said that, the ForeFlight visual presentation is better than any of the others. At some point perhaps one of the newer uncertified avionics companies will make a simple AHRS to work with an iPad via Bluetooth. Certainly Dynon could do that, but I suspect that the Stratus folks (who could easily do that) want to sell the more complex ADS-B units. There are several new iPhone/iPad Apps that show an EFIS function, and if one could mount an old iPhone exactly vertical to the axis of flight, it would be a very nice backup. I'll look up the one I have been playing with, and post the name of the App. As soon as I can look it up

• Like 1

Impressive pictures. But I always look out by the window when I am that close to the airport.

José

Here are a couple more impressive pictures with interesting terrain.  It just adds thats much more "warm and fuzzy" when doing those low approaches especially in unfriendly terrain.  It is most definitely a useful tool IMO!  But WDIK 

post-7889-0-67300100-1420310389_thumb.pn

post-7889-0-77913600-1420310421_thumb.pn

post-7889-0-52854000-1420310434_thumb.pn

post-7889-0-71554800-1420310444_thumb.pn