When is enough, enough?

That's cause Florida is a fricken pool table. But I like to fly the Victors sometimes it's fun and quite often the victors are the best routs through the mountains.

Oh, no, you are wrong about that. We have a bridge or two that exhibit some elevation. The Blue Heron bridge comes to mind... I actually start breathing hard when bicycling over that bridge...

Oh, no, you are wrong about that. We have a bridge or two that exhibit some elevation. The Blue Heron bridge comes to mind... I actually start breathing hard when bicycling over that bridge...

That, and isn't Space Mountain located in Florida? Anybody who says they don't have mountains in Florida just doesn't know geography! :lol:

HA...

We have lots of redeeming qualities in Florida; pool is a great game; who need big rocks. Oregon will find out in a couple of days. Take the points and FSU.

Jenn.jpg

I guess we (Oregon) didn't find out.... Hope no one took the points... To the victors go the spoils, though... I hear your "redeeming quality" is on her way up to Eugene right now...
  • Like 2

I personally believe that what today is accepted as "standard equipment" in each model has increased the cost of flying enough as to cut the demand for flying overall.  I remember one would-be pilot comment,  "If I could afford a G-1000 I would buy an airplane."  Consider all the avionics in popular light-sport aircraft and the limitations of those planes.  How many of us buy cars, cameras or GPS and really don't know how to use all the features we pay for?  How many VFR pilots have bought airplanes with all sorts of equipment they don't know how to use, then avoid flying very often at all because of fuel costs?  Any marketing executive will tell you that there are two words that sell even when those words are a lie,, the words are "New and Improved!".

....How many pilots have bought airplanes with all sorts of equipment they don't know how to use......the words are "New and Improved!".

The planes aren't 'new and improved', neither are the pilots, only the avionics are.

We have some MS guys who have shelled out tens of thousands foe Aspens, G-500s, G-750s and the like, who are still trying to figure out all their features, not that it matters since they can't see the screens clearly with their old eyes and CB glasses.

• Like 2

How many VFR pilots have bought airplanes with all sorts of equipment they don't know how to use, then avoid flying very often at all because of fuel costs? 

Hey!! I resemble that remark! I am guilty of this. How many people buy four, or six seat airplanes and then fly around all by themselves 99% of the time? How many people buy turbo planes and never go over 12,000ft? The point is, people buy airplanes to suit the mission they think they are going to have, not always the reality.

When I bought my plane, having a 430W or better was a requirement. I really thought I was going to be traveling the country and getting my instrument currency back. I got the 430 and I also rebuilt my panel and added a second glide slope. I have two CDIs with glide slope and marker beacons that have been tested, but never used. The last time my plane was on an IFR flight plan was when the bank repo guy moved the plane from Colorado to Santa Barbara in 2010.

I could have bought a plane with one radio, a transponder and an iPad and been just fine in the end. No regrets though at all. I like my panel. I still might go back to IFR flying, but I'm more realistic and don't count on it now.

Oh, and I personally would consider a G1000 to be a liability in a plane. Way too much headache and on going expense for what you get.

• Like 1

The planes aren't 'new and improved', neither are the pilots, only the avionics are.

We have some MS guys who have shelled out tens of thousands foe Aspens, G-500s, G-750s and the like, who are still trying to figure out all their features, not that it matters since they can't see the screens clearly with their old eyes and CB glasses.

Heck, I never completely figured out that ADF thingy in the panel before I removed it! :)

Oh, you figured it out alright! ;)

You got that right, I figured how to get it out of my panel!! Along with the STS LORAN boat anchor.

I never really disliked my ADF, it was the NDB approach that I hated. If it wasn't for the rotating compass card on mine, I would still be trying to figure out how to "transpose my heading". :)