Thoughts on this M20F N3537N

zx6rrider

I love my C! It is also teaching my wife how to pack less, an unexpected side benefit.

There is nothing like a 2 hour flight instead of 6-8 hours in the car--no traffic, no foolish drivers, no speed limits, no worries about police, radar, tickets, etc. Plus we arrive refreshed instead of worn out, and can make Friday after work to Sunday afternoon/evening trips that are just not possible any other way.

Fly fast! Fly safe! Fly Mooney!

• Like 3

Be honest GSXR, your trying to convince me so you can sell me your C and upgrade right? :D

Hahahah... not a chance.  :D But I'm happy to give you a ride in it if you're ever in Texas. And I have met a few other Mooney drivers though, who wish they'd bought an earlier model but much more airplane like mine. It's perfect for me.  My wife rides with me when we go places, but when I just go fly for fun, I'm usually solo. My C is fast enough, but most importantly, cheap enough for me to fly without ever thinking of the gas or the hours.  

• Like 1

Hi zx6rider,

I recently got a 67F and thought I would chime in. My goal was to get a very clean airframe and engine with fuel injection. That put me looking at E and F models, as the J models are too expensive for not enough performance. I also required the simple Johnson bar and hydro flap systems. I found an extremely clean F with NDH that had been with the same owner for 25 years. It was also always hangared.. The original paint is still shiny. I decided to take it for three big reasons. 1. The panel, while IFR doesn't have Gps or some of the other cool gizmos. However, finding a plane like this WITH those goodies is nearly impossible and would come with a higher price. I would rather spend money later on what I want than money today on things I didn't really pick out. A penny today is worth a nickle tomorrow! 2. I bought directly from the owner and felt strongly assured after looking at the plane and logs with the owner and the 24 year mechanic that I could fully trust this plane with my life. During my search I talked to many brokers and none of them had intimidate knowledge of what they were selling. I felt fully assured. 3. The money you save in purchase price due will save you in insurance and sales tax. Overall, got a good save plane and add gizmos later if you really need them.

If you fly by yourself, get an E. If you fill the rear seats, get an F. Consider useful load as equipped.

Good luck!

Matt,

Glad to see your enjoying it. How many hrs on it so for?

Somewhere between 50 and 100 (a little behind on logbook at the moment). Looks like we're going to be putting in another 15 hrs before the end of the year with a long trip to Corpus!

The first 10 or so takeoffs I felt like a circus clown shot out of a cannon! Too much going on too quickly! But landing it was never difficult and I've put it down quite a few times in some very strong crosswinds. Frankly, I don't understand all of the various discussions about landing challenges. This is my first fast complex airplane and I thought landing was the easiest part of the transition! Maybe slippery high-performance sailplanes have given me an edge.

....but you will see these fanatic efficiency freaks with their futuristic BMW R1200RT or Honda CBR250RA bikes...  :P
Speed is fun but efficiency is even better... - and when it comes to buying an aircraft I can only recommend to let the aircraft find you than vice versa...  :rolleyes:
I got run down by my M20F while looking for other aircraft for almost two years. Never looked for a Mooney because I thought they were too expensive but then my Lady came around and did not even ask... :wub:  - and I was done...  :blink::D

Glad to see  I'm not the only way with a minor bike addiction as well.  Got some info on the other F that the broker has, Ill try and attach it with some pictures. What do you guys think, is 6000 hours high time as far as resale goes?    Hes supposed to email me the past couple annuals and overhaul info tomorrow.  My photobucket isnt working right so Ill attach the pics when I get it sorted out

TIMES:        TT                   :  6073    

SMOH             :  564  3-08                                                                                                                                     

PROP              :  564   3-08                                   

RADIOS:       COM 1            :  Garmin GNS430

NAV 1             :  GNS430

COM 2            :  King KX155           

NAV 2             :  KX155   

G/S                  :  Dual

XPNDR           :  KY76C   

3 / LMB          :  PM1000II   

DME               :  KN64    

ENCODER      :  Yes  

ADF                :  in 430  

AVIONICS OPTIONS:

B6 Autopilot overhauled 2007, 4pax intercom, Push to talk yokes, Avionics master,

Music input, Data recorder, WX500.                   

AIRFRAME OPTIONS:

All Lasar speed mods, Lasar nose gear and shock mounts, Skytec starter, Remote

oil cooler, Challenger air filter, M20 oil filter, ECI EGT, CHT, Fuel flow, OAT, Volt and Vac functions, Vent window scoop, Factory PC, Electric gear and flaps, Control

pedestal.

COLORS AND CONDITION:

White with RED and Red trim in standard Mooney design, 1993 and in good repair.  The interior is in red, gray and black trim combinations that looks clean and well done.

DAMAGE HISTORY:

Gear up in 1975 (709 TT) and no damage since, all logs, no hail or corrosion, Indiana or Michigan since new and looks to have been hangared by condition of original interior window trim that is in good repair, good glass and tires.         

ANNUAL  DUE:  9/15                 USEFUL LOAD1006     FUEL CAP:    60

PRICE:     $57,500.00     OR TRADE

I searched for the 'F' model specifically to travel with my wife and toddler. There is just no way that we could fit all our stuff in a 'C' when vacationing for a week. This is the perfect airplane for our mission. A Cherokee 6 is more than I was looking for, twice the money, and higher a fuel burn.

For solo flights I want something that requires my full attention and input, not a stable cross country airplane.

The TT doesnt bother me, just wondering if it would sell ok if for some reason we needed to get rid of it.

I know the panel is kinda scattered and not much of an audio panel but I think it is something I could work with and not have to change right off. I thought he said it was a WAAS but its not listed as one so I dont know. Does the WAAS say 430W or is it the same looking? I'm going to call the guy who did the last couple annuals once I get the copy of those and see if he's willing to talk. Any thoughts on who a good prebuy would be in the ohio area? I'm an A&P but dont have enough Mooney experience to feel like I'd catch everything on my own. Plus insurance if something comes up the wife at looking at just me 

Glad to see I'm not the only way with a minor bike addiction as well. Got some info on the other F that the broker has, Ill try and attach it with some pictures. What do you guys think, is 6000 hours high time as far as resale goes? Hes supposed to email me the past couple annuals and overhaul info tomorrow. My photobucket isnt working right so Ill attach the pics when I get it sorted out

TIMES: TT : 6073

SMOH : 564 3-08

PROP : 564 3-08

RADIOS: COM 1 : Garmin GNS430

NAV 1 : GNS430

COM 2 : King KX155

NAV 2 : KX155

G/S : Dual

XPNDR : KY76C

3 / LMB : PM1000II

DME : KN64

ENCODER : Yes

ADF : in 430

AVIONICS OPTIONS:

B6 Autopilot overhauled 2007, 4pax intercom, Push to talk yokes, Avionics master,

Music input, Data recorder, WX500.

AIRFRAME OPTIONS:

All Lasar speed mods, Lasar nose gear and shock mounts, Skytec starter, Remote

oil cooler, Challenger air filter, M20 oil filter, ECI EGT, CHT, Fuel flow, OAT, Volt and Vac functions, Vent window scoop, Factory PC, Electric gear and flaps, Control

pedestal.

COLORS AND CONDITION:

White with RED and Red trim in standard Mooney design, 1993 and in good repair. The interior is in red, gray and black trim combinations that looks clean and well done.

DAMAGE HISTORY:

Gear up in 1975 (709 TT) and no damage since, all logs, no hail or corrosion, Indiana or Michigan since new and looks to have been hangared by condition of original interior window trim that is in good repair, good glass and tires.

ANNUAL DUE: 9/15 USEFUL LOAD: 1006 FUEL CAP: 60

PRICE: $57,500.00 OR TRADE

Is the gear up in the logs? There is an entry for an incident in 1975 but it is not a gear up.

The TT doesnt bother me, just wondering if it would sell ok if for some reason we needed to get rid of it.

I know the panel is kinda scattered and not much of an audio panel but I think it is something I could work with and not have to change right off. I thought he said it was a WAAS but its not listed as one so I dont know. Does the WAAS say 430W or is it the same looking? I'm going to call the guy who did the last couple annuals once I get the copy of those and see if he's willing to talk. Any thoughts on who a good prebuy would be in the ohio area? I'm an A&P but dont have enough Mooney experience to feel like I'd catch everything on my own. Plus insurance if something comes up the wife at looking at just me

If it's in western Ohio the closest MSC is Muncie Aviation in Indiana.

I personally take my J to Midwest Mooney in Flora, IL when I need a Mooney expert.

That's a really nice looking F. . I suggest you be really careful looking for corrosion, as it was repainted. Try to find out if they used paint stripper or not. Autopilot and 430w definite plus. TT doesn't mean much to me either if it is well maintained. However, look in the logs and see if the landing gear motor is original and which one. I avoided this by getting one with manual gear, but I heard the electric gear and flaps can be expensive to repair.

I prefer the second plane over the first.  As others have said, the total time would not bother me.  But remember, this can be one of those thing that when your are buying, its not big deal.  But when you go to sell, its an issue. 

Total hours count when the buyer is comparing your plane to another...

The more educated in plane buying they are, the less important it becomes.

Who is your buyer?

What are the comparisons going to be when you sell?

All wear items can be replaced.

Cracked, oxidized and dented aluminum is hard to measure in hours of operation.

Did that help?

Best regards,

-a-

I'd take the plane with a 430W and autopilot and an extra 3k of airframe time (or whatever) over the one with lower TT, presuming it has been maintained well and flown regularly.  Mooneys do NOT have fatigue issues, so if it isn't corroded or damaged it should go on and on and on.  You'll pay less for higher TT, and you'll sell it for less later on.  The wear items are replaceable.

The gear motor isn't a huge financial concern... overhaul of the motor is ~$500 I think, plus R&R labor but that isn't bad either.  

He sent me the scanned logbooks since 2008, no big name shops, all A&P signoffs but there has been a good bit of work done to it. The overhaul was C-Hunts Aero Engines, google is not turning up anything good or bad for that matter. If anyone is interested in looking them over and telling me your thoughts, I'll gladly forward you the email if you PM your address.  Ill probably take a look at it, wish it was a better known overhaul but its made it 500 hours so probably ok. I think I'm going to start another thread and see if anyone knows this aircraft or the flying club, I'd like to here more history than the broker would be willing to let on to.

• 5 years later...