Luggage door opened on T/O

ncdmtb

Today I flew my M20E. During T/O I noticed something was not right. I was at about 60-65 kts and felt "cold". I have a Lightspeed PFX headset, but I noticed a distinct change in "sound". Turned out the luggage door poped open. I broke off the T/O, exited the runway, pulled over and closed the door.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

I am certain the door was closed, but I didn't lock it. I am thinking about adding "locking baggage door" to my pre-flight.

What do others do? Any similar experiences?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, I've never had an issue with the baggage door coming open on my C model.  I've had the cabin door open a couple of times until I learned how to properly rig it.  I suspect you may have a rigging problem too.

As you found out, neither the baggage door, nor the cabin door have any huge effect on the flight characteristics of the plane, but they can have a huge effect on the pilot!  Best thing is to stay calm.  If in flight, just keep flying and wait until you're on the ground to try to close it.   <_<

If you look through the NTSB accident database, it's amazing how many fatal accidents have occurred, not because a door, or hatch opened, but because the pilot over-reacted.

No, I've never had an issue with the baggage door coming open on my C model.  I've had the cabin door open a couple of times until I learned how to properly rig it.  I suspect you may have a rigging problem too.

As you found out, neither the baggage door, nor the cabin door have any huge effect on the flight characteristics of the plane, but they can have a huge effect on the pilot!  Best thing is to stay calm.  If in flight, just keep flying and wait until you're on the ground to try to close it.   <_<

If you look through the NTSB accident database, it's amazing how many fatal accidents have occurred, not because a door, or hatch opened, but because the pilot over-reacted.

I think the last part of your comment is right on and applies to much more than the doors. You must have a pretty long RW there at Augsburg good job on getting back down.

While we are on this topic...I once had the canopy of a glider open during a winch start. It was an old glider and I was hanging on the winch at about 300feet when the canopy poped open. I held the stick in one hand and closed the canopy on the KA6. That was the biggest test of my "nerves" todate ;-)

I will now add "lock luggage door" to me pre-floght.

I hate to lock the baggage door on my C because I have drilled the holes and carry a tool to make that an "alternate egress" should the cabin door latch fail.   :o

There are several stories out there about Mooney owners becoming entrapped in their own airplanes when they couldn't open the main door.

So you are telling me that the baggage door was latched closed and came open on the taxi/take off run? 100% sure you latched it? I do not believe that my door could come unlatched. It is plenty tight. I always leave wide open or close and latch. I don't lock it and don't plan to start doing it...

Glad no damage or significant incident.

• Like 1

I don't know how many times in small airplanes I have shut down out by the runup area to check the baggage door has been locked.......I know it does not harm anything being open but I always fear that my luggage laptop etc will fall out (cessna) and I hate to waste the time/risk damage etc...

I never lock the door unless parking on the ramp at some other airport over night.  But I never close it without latching it.  And I only leave it open when in my hanger.  Once out on the ramp, it stays closed and locked unless my hand is on it and I'm loading or unloading something.  I don't believe it would ever come open if latched.

Never had an issue with baggage door unlatching. I don't lick it.

Had a pax very politely open and show me the main door in flight once! She somehow bumped the lever with her knee and popped it open! She got startled a little bit I'd say!

I, of course, thanked her for the courtesy and being the gentleman that I am said to her "...thank you, you're so kind, but please, I insist, after you mademoiselle!..." :lol: 

She didn't think it was funny. Not at that moment anyway!

• Like 1

So you are telling me that the baggage door was latched closed and came open on the taxi/take off run? 100% sure you latched it? I do not believe that my door could come unlatched. It is plenty tight. I always leave wide open or close and latch. I don't lock it and don't plan to start doing it...

Glad no damage or significant incident.

I do not believe it was properly latched. If so, I do not think it could have opened.

• Like 1

Fly normal traffic pattern, land...

Checklist checklist checklist...

Full stop. Close and latch properly. Try again...

New rules for my Mooney.

All doors stay all the way open until it is time to close and latch them.

Nobody closes or latches the baggage door but PIC.

Make sure you know how to open your baggage door from the inside if it is locked.

I don't lock the doors. After a poor off field landing, I may want somebody to haul my burning bits out without impediment...

This error is easy to have happen, hence the new rules for my machine.

Best regards,

-a-