LASAR Cowl Enclosure

Definitely - so far I have invested

818R Kit w/extras     $11,000

2002 Soobie             $  1,500

Assorted parts          $  2,000

And it doesn't look like we have much left to add, just assembly...

You can follow along via:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/347521355400965/

Older than both I listed. Obsolete :)

If your referring to the SR71 yes it is and faster than any thing that does not use its own oxygenate. Scott I always appreciate that you are straight forward with your views. As for me I like to be more of a purist when it comes to things that are becoming more and more vintage. Would you put fibre glass fender flares on a 1973 Porsche 911 RSR I sure a hell would not. Or how bout a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO. Just sayin.

• Like 1

Feeling like I needed to buy a Christmas gift for 7741M ( the metal mistress). She has been a good girl this year.  I ordered the lower cowl enclosure today. Now if only my shop will get caught up so I can get it installed.  Now I've gotta find something to sell on EBay..lol

• Like 1

FWIW: I have an uninstalled LASAR cowl enclosure - anyone want it, give me a shout, no reasonable offer refused.

I have many of the LASAR mods already and love each one, just too lazy to install the cowl enclosure!

I sent you a PM....   I'm interested ( if you still have it ) !   mike

That all sounds great David. Understand completely. Look forward to seeing photos/hearing about cowl mod as it progresses. You were going to give me the most common bushings etc. (#'s from Laser) as you were going to replace and shim your nose gear. Yes, I have the Laser brass unit installed. A&P said he noted a little "play" in nosegear at last annual (January 2014) and I thought I would replicate the common wear parts that you were re-doing...Easy to order with numbers. You had "promised" to forward by PM...Others could certainly benefit so "outed you here" :)

If too busy, no worries I can get with Laser directly. Others have input/numbers/schematics from service manual...Bring 'em on.

Scott

Hey David and others...I called Willmar (MN) and ordered my annual four rubber fuel cap gaskets for January annual. I asked about nose gear shims. She said she would call me back after checking. She rang me back ten minutes later and said there are six common nose gear shims. She said they are about $22 a piece. I asked if there was a common replacement and she said it varies...Offered to send two of each and write an open invoice without charging. She will invoice after I return what we do NOT use on the nose gear at annual to "tighten up" the nose gear. I already have the Laser Brass bushing replacement installed. I have noticed no "dartiness", but A&P said "A little play that we should address at next annual"...Pretty good of Willmar, I thought.
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Getting finished up with the GDL88 / FlightStream and cowl enclosure. Makes a big difference I think. Everything should line up nice and tight after rivets and upper/lower cowls are screwed back on. Just an idea of how it will look. Obviously we did the sandwich route.

post-9018-0-57908100-1422033345_thumb.jp

post-9018-0-20132600-1422033367_thumb.jp

Got 41M back home today..The enclosure looks good and the GDL-88 and FS210 was as advertised. It was a little windy and I needed to fuel up so I came straight home, the avionics shop is still in the $6+ range for fuel.

I hope to get more time in tomorrow. I should be able to give better feedback about engine temps.

post-9018-0-92791400-1422134809_thumb.jp

post-9018-0-82124900-1422155465_thumb.jp

post-9018-0-14969700-1422155521_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Got 41M back home today..The enclosure looks good and the GDL-88 and FS210 was as advertised. It was a little windy and I needed to fuel up so I came straight home, the avionics shop is still in the $6+ range for fuel.

I hope to get more time in tomorrow. I should be able to give better feedback about engine temps.

Love what I can see of that paint scheme!

My '66E got a few mods in 1997:

Aircraft modified by the following STCs:

1)  Oil cooler relocated by Lake Style Aero STC SA2513NM

2)  Fiberglass nose cowl by AeroResources Inc  STC SA7589SW

3) Mooney 201 M20J Spinner & spinner bulkhead assys from Aero Resources Inc STC SA7589SW

4) Speed brakes by Precise Flight Inc STC SA5708NM

5)  Standby Vacuum System III by Precise Flight Inc, STC SA2168NM

6)  Mooney Bladder Tank 6 bay system by O&N Aircraft Modifications Inc STC SA2350CE

7)  Dorsal Fin Fairing by Lake Aero Styling, STC SA4443NM

8)  Tail Root Fairing Horizontal by Lake Aero Styling, STC SA4443NM

9)  Wheel well liner covers by Lake Aero Styling, STC SA4443NM

10)  Wing Root Leading Edge Fairing by Lake Aero Styling, STC SA4443NM

11)  Relocated Cleveland wheel brake assys by Lake Aero Styling, STC SA4443NM

12  Hinge cover on Aileron, Elevator, & Rudder assy by Lake Aero Styling , STC SA4443NM

13)  Aileron lower gap seals by Lake Aero Styling, STC SA4443NM

14)  Flap gap seals by Lake Aero Styling, STC SA4443NM

15) One piece fiberglass belly pan fairing with skid runners by Aero Mod Inc, STC SA4080NM

16)  Instrument panel by SW Texas Aviation, STC SA7828SW 

The 201 windshield was done at about the same time though I do not see it listed.

FWIW, I had another '66E with the exterior avionics panels in front of the factory w'shield for 11 years. I like what I have now just fine. 

post-8913-0-07909600-1422151213_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Next would be the brake relocation. Possibly next year  maybe some time with Hector @ Aero Comfort to have the interior plastic redone in the stretched fabric. Bob, I won't even try to keep up and  your upgrades..Your plane is truly a gem.  Just going to do a little at a time for me. 

Next would be the brake relocation. Possibly next year  maybe some time with Hector @ Aero Comfort to have the interior plastic redone in the stretched fabric. Bob, I won't even try to keep up and  your upgrades..Your plane is truly a gem.  Just going to do a little at a time for me. 

Tom, I am not sure what possessed the previous owner to do all he did. He owned the plane 5 years (1995-2000) and flew it a total of 58 hours! He did all those mods plus new paint, new interior, and overhauled engine. He gave it the current tail number which is his initials, RW, plus 943 (his wife was born in September 1943) and then sold it the next month.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 12/8/2014 at 9:59 AM, Andy95W said:

+1 on sandwich and rivet. I installed mine 2 years ago and it looks great. 20 years ago I installed the same mod on my first M20C and did it the simple way by just putting it on the surface. It looks way better sandwiched in between the cowl skins. It'll probably be an extra 4-5 hours, but maybe you can negotiate with your mechanic.- and if you are doing it yourself, it's a no brainer.

My '64 M20C with cowl mod and 201 windshield:

post-11090-0-93296900-1418058061_thumb.j

I can attest to this. I'm having a structures buddy put mine on, while he's on furlough. He was originally going to charge me an hour to install over top, but decided to make it look better and go the sandwich and rivet route. He's into it for roughly 4 hours now, and called it quits for the day to get different bucking bars. Call it 4.5-5 hours total install. Hopefully he picks up the average time on the other 5 mods....

• Like 2

I have installed the mod a couple of times using the sandwich method and I also use PRC-Pro seal (mil-s-8802) between the fiberglass and outer skins.  Makes it nice and secure and sealed when finished.  

Warren 

A&P IA DAR

• Like 1

So look my freshly modified cowling with Lasar Cowl enclosure.

I have to confirm, that it was good invested money. CHT are definitely better.

I can't comment on speed gain, because motor was overhauled & new prop (I do not know what contributed more).

lg,.m

LASAR COWL.jpg

• Like 2