Mooney Flight Inside Look

201er

I've been wondering about that too. The way Byron explained to me is that when idle, some of the thingies don't close all the way. Can't remember how he explained it but I remember discussing major idle EGT variations on the ground and this just seems to be a case of that while idle on final. Can someone explain this better? Or is it a problem?

Are you talking about morning sickness?  Starts to happen when an exhaust valve is sticking.  I had two valves reamed out when I had my Mooney because of very minor "morning sickness".  Fixed her right up.  I started using TCP and never had a problem with it again.   Coincidence or no?   Not sure.

http://mooneyspace.com/topic/9525-sticky-valve-lycoming-io-360-a3b6d/

Mech said its no biggie if only at low power. Mags were mistimed. One was 25 and the other 20

Mistimed mags is one contributing factor to very hot exhaust valve operating temperatures. The operating temperatures of the valves rise to dangerous levels they are unable to withstand. Leads to burned exhaust valves.

Probably should adjust timing.