JPI display going

flyboy0681

Two flights ago I noticed that the display on the EDM 700 were flickering and some of the elements on the LED's were not lighting up. Here are two photos, one from a few months ago and the other yesterday. You can clearly see that not everything is being lit.

Before I got through the trouble of having the unit removed, shipped and repaired by JPI, does anybody have any suggestions I should first try?

post-7663-0-46167300-1415551567_thumb.jp

post-7663-0-34346000-1415551582_thumb.jp

For what it's worth..Mine is a 830, but I had a intermittent problem with digits and on/off display.  I crawled under the dash and found that the serial connector screws on the back side had vibrated loose and the serial cable was making a bad connection. Might not have anything to do with your problem, but just worth checking.

Two flights ago I noticed that the display on the EDM 700 were flickering and some of the elements on the LED's were not lighting up. Here are two photos, one from a few months ago and the other yesterday. You can clearly see that not everything is being lit.

Before I got through the trouble of having the unit removed, shipped and repaired by JPI, does anybody have any suggestions I should first try?

I had the same problem with the 700, and KNS 80...several of the segments were not working, I chocked it up to old age.

I believe they are not LEDs, but are gas discharge displays.

I had the same problem with the 700, and KNS 80...several of the segments were not working, I chocked it up to old age.

I believe they are not LEDs, but are gas discharge displays.

The unit was sent back to JPI exactly two years ago to upgrade from the smaller display to the larger, so I don't think it's the age of the display unit itself. Since the original unit was upgraded and returned, it's most probably within the circuitry itself.

Either way you need to send it back to JPI for a repair (screen or internal driver).  Just double check that your mounting screws are not too long, I've seen them break the display and cause it to act like this,

Probably in for another $300 display, maybe you should take this opportunity to upgrade to an EDM730/830, they are more or less plug and play.

Don

Either way you need to send it back to JPI for a repair (screen or internal driver).  Just double check that your mounting screws are not too long, I've seen them break the display and cause it to act like this,

Probably in for another $300 display, maybe you should take this opportunity to upgrade to an EDM730/830, they are more or less plug and play.

Don

Looks like the 730 takes up a lot more real estate than the round display of the 700.

Looks like the 730 takes up a lot more real estate than the round display of the 700.

Yes, but in your case, you can move the one switch and let it overhang 1" down.  Send me an email and I'll return a picture of a similar installation in a Bonanza.

supercub180@gmail.com

Another upside is that you can add fuel flow, MP, RPM, OAT later and turn your 730 into an 830.

Don

• Like 1

I am having the same issue.  Clarence's folks tell me that the only thing that can be done is to send it back to the OEM for repair. Will cost about $300 or so.

Check the grounding of the instrument as well as the grounding of the engine to airframe...

A lot of manufactures no longer service the instruments with the plasma elements due to EPA regs... Try to find a plasma tv lately? Same reason. Jpi can hopefully do somthing for you.

-Matt

Check the grounding of the instrument as well as the grounding of the engine to airframe...

A lot of manufactures no longer service the instruments with the plasma elements due to EPA regs... Try to find a plasma tv lately? Same reason. Jpi can hopefully do somthing for you.

-Matt

JPI still manufactures the 700 so I'll assume that parts are still readily available. It's just such a pain to remove the unit, pack it up and pay for the shipping since it's so heavy.

With the cost to upgrade to the new larger color 830 at 1 amu why spend $300 to fix it. I'd instead move the GPSS elsewhere if possible to make room for the larger display that enables you to read all parameters at the same time and download data via USB device - a far superior unit. If the fuel flow above is not a required primary I'd remove that to integrate into the new JPI display and move the GPSS there. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the cost to upgrade to the new larger color 830 at 1 amu why spend $300 to fix it. I'd instead move the GPSS elsewhere if possible to make room for the larger display that enables you to read all parameters at the same time and download data via USB device - a far superior unit. If the fuel flow above is not a required primary I'd remove that to integrate into the new JPI display and move the GPSS there. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear what you are saying, and the 830 is a fine unit, but the upgrade cost of the unit is not the only thing to consider. Right now my shop will drop out and install the unit for a few bucks. But once you talk about removing existing items from the panel, cutting new holes and repositioning other items, the cost will quickly grow to over $2k. So the issue comes down to $300 for the repair + $50 for removal/installation versus $2k.

• 2 weeks later...

Don

$300 out the door was the repair.

• 5 years later...

I'm having the same issue with my EDM-711 (primary CHT). For the past few months, some cylinder numbers have not been appearing, and some segments of the data display have been missing. The plane's in Annual right now, and out plan is to disconnect the unit, and g-e-n-t-l-y subject the display to both vibration and heat cycling. The logic here is that the display connection points, which appear to be along three sides of the display face, are no longer making dependable contact with the connection 'fingers' from the board circuitry, owing perhaps to slight oxidation. Oddly, the contact appear to be silver-on-silver, and silver-oxide is itself highly conductive, so we'll see. I've always heard that avionics' connections do better with vibration, and this aircraft does not see too much flight time.

I figure that the worst that can happen is the $300 charge for a new display. Not a happy moment, but I love the unit and have no interest (or panel space) in one of the newer styles. 

I'll write back with the results!

Congrats on the first post in many years of MS membership, JSR!

Electronic contacts and rubber erasers have been known to work well together... As does some electronics contact cleaner...

There is a current post around here if you want to see how much money you are saving by keeping your 711 alive!  :)

Best regards,

-a-

I was having the exact same issue with mine.  I asked the JPI guys at OSH.  One of them was a tech, and he said to gently "rap" the entire display unit onto a flat surface.  Not too gently, you definitely want to jar it without breaking it.  He gave a good reason behind the gas discharge displays and how they work.  Sounded good to me.

I bought a JPI 730 display and installed it, instead.  It is head and shoulders better than the old gas discharge displays both in readability and presentation.