upholstery upgrades

Hedge

I have a close friend who buys all the upholstery for cars, planes, or whatever for a large wholesale distribution company.  I want to re-do my airplane.  What should i look for as far as materials go.  Does it have to FAA approved, and what does that mean.  Isn't leather just leather, or does FAA approved leather have to have something.  Also, I know weight is important, so should i avoid leather.

I also would like to replace the plastic side panels (original and very faded yellow) with new ones.  Any idea where to get these molded plastic sides.  Oh yeah.  66E

Thanks

I also would like to replace the plastic side panels (original and very faded yellow) with new ones.  Any idea where to get these molded plastic sides.  Oh yeah.  66E

Thanks

I had my plastic painted.  Looks brand new at fraction of the cost.

IIRC: M20C was certified CAR 3

So may be some wiggle/room here for '66 E , later to FAR 25.853  (fire).

John Schneller (OEM Boeing) makes carpet and flight deck-matting ICW FARs & so would others.

Your friend may have access to Schneller as they supply the transportation industry (bus, train etc).

Not sure if confor foam is approved, but I think it was used in the shuttlre. Kay Metzler also provided foam.

Andrew Muirhead provided leather to BS6608.

FAR compliant materials are available, need to look,  issues of fire safety are more recognized now.

Used the flight deck material inlew of carpet, fits better around the seat tracks, easier to clean, continuous

front to back.  Hoping other MS'ers chime in here!  

drbob

You can use whatever fabrics / leather you like, but they need to pass a burn test.

I can't remember what companies perform the tests, but you can find them online. The cost is about $100, and you need to send a square of the material in.

• 4 years later...

Resurrecting this thread because I have need to find a good source of certified upholstery material with burn certs.  I have neither time or desire to get in the flame testing business.  A long-term search of the interwebs turns up mom+pop operations that don't stock samples, or firms that seem to specialize in the interior of multi-million $ jet-propelled time machines.    I see that Aircraft Spruce stocks vinyl.  I need a good source of fabric.

We're going to put sheepskins on the two front seats, so they will be upholstered entirely in vinyl.   The bench back seat should be mostly fabric.   Our a/c will ultimately be painted red over white, kind of like @Bob_Belville's bird that looks soooo good.  So I'm thinking we need some kind of redish/brown fabric and tan vinyl.  Finding a site to buy the fabric has proven elusive.  Any suggestions?   Thanks in advance.

http://www.airtexinteriors.com/

When all is said and done, you really can't beat Airtex for price and quality.  By the time you buy fabric and give it to someone to sew your seats, you may as well just buy the Airtex and be done with it.

I've used all 3 methods: my first Mooney (1967 M20C N2997L, BTW) I had a local mom-and-pop place do; the second, an Aztec, I bought beautiful materials, gave them to a custom shop, and got a custom interior; the third, my current Mooney, I installed an Airtex interior just one year ago.

Unless it's a really expensive, really high end airplane, my next interior will also be an Airtex.  And if you order it at OSH, you get a 5% discount (one more reason to attend in person).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fred, I had my interior done locally using automotive materials - carpet, leather, headliner fabric. I went to the trouble and expense of having the materials tested - all passed easily. 

Log entry signed by my A&P:

"Replaced interior fabrics (headliner, carpet, leather) with materials tested by Skandia Inc. under w/o # 249481 dated 12-10-2012 and certified 14 CFR Part 23.853 and 23-49 app F (e) and certified by FAA DER on 12-12-2012. Said documents attached. Work was performed by Dave's Trim and Robert Belville, owner." 

Your A&P may be willing to sign off on the installation w/o the certification. In a crash the flame spread characteristics of the carpet is not going to be high on the list of concerns.

• Thanks 1

What Andy said.  I had a custom interior put in my Bonanza when I was flying several days a week on business.  Several thousand hours later, the front seats were worn out again.  Had Airtex install an interior that looked just as good as the custom job.  For thousands less.  Some shops do beautiful work but I would not spend more than 10% of the aircraft value on an interior. Airtex is a great value for our older airplanes, that is why I am in the process of installing one in my new (to me) ride right now.

• Like 2

If looking for high quality leather at excellent prices www.leatherhidestore.com.  They are a on online reseller with a storefront in Hillsborough NC.  I’ve visited them- very knowledgeable, nice folks.  Leather quality is excellent.  Between some sort of discount and shopping closeouts I was able to get good quality automotive leather (not quite BMW doeskin but more like Porsche quality) absurdly cheaply. I’m thinking my original equipment materials were kind of crap but lasted 40 years... spending $400 more (total) from vinyl to leather may be worth it.

The real cost isn’t even the covering materials.  It’s the seat foam that invariably needs to be replaced underneath.  Prices are about $300/sheet for con-four and $4-something for DAX.   Factor in 4 sheets for individual seat models and 4.5-5 for bench moonies. 

• Like 1

There is a very small sample of leathers that have been treated poorly that will not pass the burn tests.   Leather is a great choice for putting in a place that may be burning.  leatherhidestore.com is a great place to get some good prices.

• 2 months later...

I get my materials from the local (large) upholstery distributer. I told the lady there that I need FAA burn certs. She reached behind her and grabbed a binder with all the certs and said I can use anything in that book. I choose materials from her book and she prints copies of the certs and gives them to me with the receipt. I have found that most upholstery distributers know about it and can give you certs.

• Like 1

Still in the process of installing the Airtex interior.  Seats, carpet, and carpeted lower side panels are supplied with a P.M.A. label. I did buy some foam insulation and headliner material.  These were supplied with a copy of the burn certs for those materials.seat2.jpg.03dda9896890761260082882962f46a9.jpg

Better re-read that CAR 3 thing again. Yes, as long as it is part 91. Someone wants to buy your airplane and put in on a Part 135 certificate, you got a big problem. Easier to get approved materials and if they are not approved, a burn cert is really cheap.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, David Lloyd said:

Still in the process of installing the Airtex interior.  Seats, carpet, and carpeted lower side panels are supplied with a P.M.A. label. I did buy some foam insulation and headliner material.  These were supplied with a copy of the burn certs for those materials.seat2.jpg.03dda9896890761260082882962f46a9.jpg

Gotta love us pilots.  Looks like a motorcycle tire, propane tank, and some airplane seats.  Always an adventure going on with a lot of us.

6 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Better re-read that CAR 3 thing again. Yes, as long as it is part 91. Someone wants to buy your airplane and put in on a Part 135 certificate, you got a big problem. Easier to get approved materials and if they are not approved, a burn cert is really cheap.

Who in God's name would put an old M20C on a Part 135 certificate?

Whatever.  I'll take my chances that the one idiot who wants to do so might not buy my airplane.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1