Difference between M20B and C models?

I'm going to look at a 1961 M20B tomorrow, and I've been doing a ton of researching online about these planes, but not finding much about the B models specifically. Seems there is a ton about the C's but even all the model decription lists I've found have very little info about the B's other than engine type and the fact that they are all metal. Seems all the places that list modifications all start with the C model as well.  Are the 2 really different? 

Thanks!

One big difference is the flaps.  The B model has mechanical linkage the C model has hydraulic.  The mechanical flaps actuate easily. 

Depending on how much the panel has been modified over the years the instrumentation is somewhat different.

The pre 65 models have different shaped rear windows

I was told the top skins over the cabin are shaped different on the pre 65 models.

Cabin ventilation there is no eyeball vent at the pilots knee unless it has been modified.

The pre 65 had a manually retracted step not vacuum.

Fuel tank capacity I believe is 48 gallons on the B models and 52 gallons on the C models.

I'll probably think of some more later.  I looked at and flew a B models before I bought my E model.

No experience myself but,

knew someone who flew one 20+ yrs from new,

Somehow the inner wing laps were a problem and had to be reworked.

Also he thought  the 2 into 2 tubes (twin muffler) system was much better than the later H&W system.

When Petersen attempted to Autogas STC the C model,

he couldn't pass the heat-soak test, due to over temp in the carb (fuel percolation).

Maybe the B could have, with the hot mufflers down & away from the carb area in the cooling air tunnels.  

drbob

Thanks for all the comments guys. Went to look at the plane today and it looks really good, with only a few issues that I could find. The biggest one is that it does have a dent on one side of the nose gear truss. Not sure if it's bad enough to need replacement or not, but I'm sure the shop that I will have do the pre purchase inspection will know for sure. If it does need to be replaced what are we looking at as far as cost for parts and labor? The owner seems quite friendly and willing to negotiate so hopefully we'll be able to work something out and the plane will check out alright so I can join the Mooney family!

Oh one other thing. The panel had a nice wood overlay on it and there was a matching panel covering the upper rear section of the cargo area, where the "hat rack" usually is. This plane has a full wall there with no hat rack. We pulled the wood panel down and there was some insulation behind, and it felt like a solid panel. Do the B models not have the hat rack area, or is this a modification of some sort? I cant see why anyone would purposely take away cargo space, especially in a plane that's already pretty small!

I'm not sure what the actual numbers are but the majority of short body's I have seen don't have the hat rack mine included. I think it would be nice to have that extra space.

I'm assuming you're referring the the B models when you reference short bodies. All C's and E's have hat racks.

Mine doesn't and I've checked out lots that didn't either. I must have been mistaken oh well not the first time that's happend. As for the dented nose gear you might take a few pics and contact Dan at Lake Aero Styling and show him. He is the expert on gear assembly

LOL, you guys are funny. Glad to hear that someone didn't make a very odd modification to this plane. It would definitely be nice to have that space, but if that's the way it is I can deal with it. 

Thankfully there's a Mooney Service Center at the same airport the plane is at, and I've gotten some great compliments about their service from another Mooney owner so I'll be having them do the pre-buy. Just kinda wanted to prepare myself for what kinda money they might ask for if the gear truss does need replacement. Also lets me know where I should be planning for the purchase price negotiations to go.

I love my B. There is no hat rack, and has a lower gross weight, but all 48 gallons are usable and the flaps, gear, and step are manual, those make up for the rest. Its hard for a system to have issues when they are all manual, you have got to love the simplicity of those systems.

• Like 3

The planes got marginally better each year.

A C is marginally better than a B.

A newer C is better than an older C.

Then there are a few awkward things like rivet types that were used on certain years...

A well cared for B will be better than an uncared for C.

PPI is important on either one...

Best regards,

-a-

The planes got marginally better each year.

A C is marginally better than a B.

A newer C is better than an older C.

Then there are a few awkward things like rivet types that were used on certain years...

A well cared for B will be better than an uncared for C.

PPI is important on either one...

Best regards,

-a-

So, by this logic a D is better than a C?  I think I can agree with that. :D

The logic doesn't work very well over short spans...

A J is definitely better than an A and definitely more expensive as well.

The nice thing about a D is its been converted to a C, accept for the three pilots out there keeping them in their un touched condition.

What is most important...any Mooney is better than brand C or brand P....

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 4