How well does the PC Wing Leveler Work?

20 hours ago, Shadrach said:

Who pissed in your Cheerios this week? You've been snarkier than usual and without the typical humor to balance it.

I will consider myself "served" by the Snark police.  

Mooney's are Cross-Country machines.  An Auto-pilot does NOT have to be expensive.  I like to hand-fly too, but definitely NOT all the time.  ALL IN for my Brittain with altitude hold I am WELL UNDER $5AMU's.

Options are there.  Options are GREAT.  It took me years to find the gear and get it installed.  My life is worth having a functional PC and the ability to fly straight and level to a location.

I am probably just responding based on a long drawn out indecision to purchase a powder-coated step.  Past is the past...BUT I have a long memory.  It's a curse and occasionaly a blessing. 

I am my fathers son and pretty consistent on my response's when my B.S. meter is pegged.

On 12/2/2015, 6:41:45, ryoder said:

On 12/2/2015, 7:32:48, Marauder said:

Plus installation...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 12/2/2015, 8:46:38, TWinter said:

And another 2k for GPSS. Now I remember why I went the route I did.

My new STEC30 was 16k with install.  If you  have an Aspen PFD, it can provide GPSS without the separate box.

On 12/2/2015, 6:41:45, ryoder said: The stec is 15k?  http://www.chiefaircraft.com/st-sys-30.html

On 12/2/2015, 7:32:48, Marauder said: Plus installation...

On 12/2/2015, 8:46:38, TWinter said: And another 2k for GPSS. Now I remember why I went the route I did.

My new STEC30 was 16k with install.  If you  have an Aspen PFD, it can provide GPSS without the separate box.

That is amazing to see how much these systems have gone up in price.

• 5 years later...
3 hours ago, FlyingDude said:

Hi guys,

Joining the conversation 6 years later ;)

So, what if one is really annoyed by the PC, because it constantly requires adjusting the heading, so one might as well just hand-fly the plane... Then what is the legal way to get rid of it? Does it affect your insurance?

Thanks

PC system is not an autopilot.   It was not designed to hold a heading.  So even with the PC system you must maintain heading.

That said, if it is working properly, you can take your hands off for 10 seconds at a time and expect no upsets, even in light/mod. turbulence.   Being driven by the TC, it rapidly detects roll and counteracts it.  You must maintain heading with frequent, minor corrections unless it is perfectly calm.

However, add the Accutrak and the PC system will follow a magenta line perfectly, even in 72 kt crosswinds.   All you need to do is manage the trim to maintain elevation.  Apollo-era technology still going strong.

Also +1 for reactivating an existing related thread.   Shows you are doing your research!  Good on ya!

• Like 1

My Accutrak will split the runway on a GPS approach (in VFR weather all right?)

It wanders a little back and forth a few degrees in cruise but not too noticeable 

Of course my airplane flys good hands off without the Brittain system on. 

What I do. After leveling off at the desired altitude and heading and making all final adjustments to mixture, etc, i watch the course heading in the GPS to see if I’m slowly drifting left or right with PC on. Then I adjust the roll/aileron trim as best as possible to maintain a fairly constant heading. It is not perfect as the PC is not intended to hold a heading, but you can get it dialed in pretty good with aileron trim so the drift left or right is minimal. I then engage my Accutrak if I want to fly hands off. You want to get the aileron trim dialed in correctly anyway before you engage Accutrack or it will be constantly adjusting for a left or right course drift.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FlyingDude said:

Hi guys,

Joining the conversation 6 years later ;)

So, what if one is really annoyed by the PC, because it constantly requires adjusting the heading, so one might as well just hand-fly the plane... Then what is the legal way to get rid of it? Does it affect your insurance?

Thanks

I believe your control head needs to be rebuilt.  I sent mine to the shop recommended by Britain for rebuild and although it is a little sensitive in its adjustment, I can now dial it in with a little dinking around and then it will hold my heading for quite a while.  The shop I sent it to was Pierce and Strait in Tulsa.  I highly recommend them.

Just now, FlyingDude said:

No. The system is working perfectly... It's keeping the wings level as it should. 

My only pet peeve is that: if the air is smooth, then it's cool. But I might as well get my hands off because the plane flys straight anyway. If it's bumpy, then I need to make those small corrections. But I might as well just hand fly.

Next time it's bumpy and you "hand fly," turn off the PC and see how much more you need to hand fly!

The PC is a wing leveler, not an auto pilot. It's easy for turbulence to rock your plane in different directions faster than PC can compensate for it.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FlyingDude said:

No. The system is working perfectly... It's keeping the wings level as it should. 

My only pet peeve is that: if the air is smooth, then it's cool. But I might as well get my hands off because the plane flys straight anyway. If it's bumpy, then I need to make those small corrections. But I might as well just hand fly.

All I’m saying is that mine was more stable after the rebuild.  They replaced a gyro or two as I recall.

As Hank Sid its no5 an autopilot, but mine makes it easier to hold a heading on a long straigh5 flight. 

5 hours ago, FlyingDude said:

Honestly, my initial question was to inquire about you guys' experience with removing the system legally... You don't have to convert me into liking it ;)

But I'm glad you guys love it. I'll have buyers when I list my parts :)

If you don’t want to use it, why remove it?  Simply slip a rubber band over the button and enjoy your hand flying.

The wing leveler is perfect for those times you need both hands to do something else...

Like get a beverage rom the back seat...

or hold a sandwich and a beverage at the same time...

Depending on L/R fuel load difference during the flight... My M20C would slowly drop a wing into a spiral over the span of minutes...

When perfectly balanced... you can use weight shift to control your plane...

lean left, lean right, slide the chair back...

Leaning left is the harder side because the wall gets in the way... :)

I was disappointed the day I found my plane didn’t resist the spiral...

I was thrilled the day I found my kids could hold a heading and altitude at the same time... from the instruments right in front of them...

We didn’t have a magenta line... it was a black LCD screen... :)

Go Mooney!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I had wing leveler on my 67C about 4 years ago and turn coordinator died on me. making the  wing lever system inop. The instrument repair shop near me wouldn't touch it. they told me it would be $1200 plus to get it fixed. at that time, I was thinking Garmin and Others would have there autopilot  on the market. Oops missed that. I can tell you that I  sure miss the wing lever.  The flight controls much Lighter with out the wing leveler removed though I never had problems with heavy ailerons. Hopefully soon i will have a GFC500 Installed.  Though financially not rational in c model. At least the government can't take it if I  already spent it. :o

Edited by jamesm

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 3:02 AM, MBDiagMan said:

I believe your control head needs to be rebuilt.  I sent mine to the shop recommended by Britain for rebuild and although it is a little sensitive in its adjustment, I can now dial it in with a little dinking around and then it will hold my heading for quite a while.  The shop I sent it to was Pierce and Strait in Tulsa.  I highly recommend them.

I believe it's Porter-Strait Instrument Co. in Tulsa.  918-838-8711.