Corrosion X sprayer

isaacpr7

Are you based at Fort Campbell? I learned to fly at Outlaw Field around 1990.

Do you think the smaller sprayer with wand would work for about $200 less?

I am based out of Campbell but my baby sleeps at Outlaw, of course. As far as sprayers go, all I can say is that I have heard other people with home made systems that they leak corrosion x for a long time from overspraying and that tge material comes out like water droplets. The sprayer I purchased This sprayer is made specifically to atomize the fluid better and it has a one way check valve in order to maintain pressure in the tank with no back pressure going back into the air hose. I guess that if you could install a one way check valve and use the recommended pressure if 80 psi you would ger the same results on a homemade system. Like airbrushes, atomizing the fluid properly has something to do with the design but mostly with air pressure setup. Both systems work on a venturi that puls material as air pressure sucks it out.

How much Corrosion X would it take to fog a small plane?

I purchased a 5 gallon container but only filled my sprayer with 2.5 gallons. After I was done spraying I opened it to see how much I had left and it looked like I had pletnty. My guess is that I only used about 1.5 gallons.

The sprayer was still expensive compared to a homemade system but it did the job perfectly without leaking material everywhere. At 100 dollars a gallon for Corrosion X I didn't really want to waste it anyways ;)

• 8 months later...

Want to spray CorrosionX in the wings.  I have a sprayer that does a great misting job with thinner liquids (http://www.sureshotsprayer.com/SteelSprayers.html).

CorrosionX appears to be too viscous for it to mist.  Can CorrosionX be thinned?  Thinking alcohol or acetone.

Really don't want to pony up $800 for a spray system.

Edited by markejackson02

Use caution when considering misting flammable solvents.  This could be a huge challenge in any environment especially when the RH goes lower.  The chance of a spark and explosion would increase exponentially. You know?

Best regards,

-a-

Yeah, I was yesterday told under no circumstances to thin with a volatile/flammable thinner for misting.  Spray painting with larger droplets is okay, but misting is a big no no.

I forget the size of the hole but the best thing is to drill holes in the inspection panels and use the 90 degree bend to insert and spray.  Much easier than removing a million inspection plates and also makes it fog better because of the enclosed environment.  

The Corrison X sprayer while a little pricey is still very cheap and it does a great job.  Couple hundred bucks now versus a lot if you have a corrosion issue later.  

• 4 years later...
2 hours ago, ukrsindicat@yahoo.com said:

Have you tried this?  I suspect this is slightly different.  This looks like it is for heavy rubberized coatings, where we need something that will create a light aerosol.  I keep hoping to find a cheaper solution to this, but I’ve yet to find one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, takair said:

Have you tried this?  I suspect this is slightly different.  This looks like it is for heavy rubberized coatings, where we need something that will create a light aerosol.  I keep hoping to find a cheaper solution to this, but I’ve yet to find one.

I haven't tried this yet.

But I'm with you. I'm  trying to find cheap solution to spraying CorrosionX. I can't imagine for this to be this difficult. I guess the we need to find a piece of gear that "atomizes" the fluid.

• Like 1

I have used all three corrosion inhibitors but only with the siphon Gun or wand. I found the ac50 seeped or wicked out the seems so the plane was always dirty same issue with corrosion x. But smells nice. The boishield is very different as it goes on as a thick wax which does seem to creep. I would say that the other two look like they penetrate  better but the boeshield seems to be less messy or drier.  The siphon gun is really cheap mine is from harbor freight. I do set the air compressor at at least 75 psi. I have never used more than a couple of liters to treat the whole plane every two years and spot treat as needed. I find that when treating an area that is hard to reach I use the ac50 as it fogs easier.  My airport is at the beach so corrosion is pretty fierce. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, glenn reynolds said:

The siphon gun is really cheap mine is from harbor freight. I do set the air compressor at at least 75 psi. I have never used more than a couple of liters to treat the whole plane every two years and spot treat as needed. I find that when treating an area that is hard to reach I use the ac50 as it fogs easier.  My airport is at the beach so corrosion is pretty fierce. 

Glenn, thanks for awesome reply. Is this the gun you have? Did you figure out how to build a long want to get inside the wings and hidden areas?image.thumb.png.7c304256f408e65c290d811f4c6ccdd6.png

I dont know where I saw this topic written about, it may have been here. There was a guy that through  trial and error spent a lot of time but not a lot of money trying to duplicate the acf50 spray system. If I recall he decided the acf50 spray system they sell works, makes a great fog, no trial and error. Uses very little product. I'm very handy and cheap, I ended up buying the system thinking I could do my plane and other planes and recoup some of my expense. Havent used it yet, I think I will use it in the next couple of months.

Glenn

64 m20e KLOT

• Like 1

Just now, Raptor05121 said:

This thread is five years old lol

Yep, I wasn't even flying when it was started...

Do you have that video kicking around where you fogged your plane? I thought it showed nicely how the sprayer I posted (got the idea from you) fogs well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

This thread is five years old lol

Yep, it is still an issue for those of us living in Florida by the water. Honestly, I still haven't found any good guidance on corrossionX/acf50 spraying without ponying up some serious money for the sprayer. My A&P just telling me to buy cans, open the inspection panels and go to town.  

Now... your PP friend is telling you the same thing...

The can is pretty powerful at making a mist... a fine mist that stays aloft for quite some time...

The fine mist gets on everything... once it lands, it spreads...

Once it spreads... it finds cracks, crevices, and rivets...

Once it creeps up into rivets...it shows up on the other side....

I think one can was used on my M20C each time... every other year.

It is good to have experience before discharging a can of CorrosionX in your plane...

There are some things that are sensitive to the creepy stuff..... :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

12 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Now... your PP friend is telling you the same thing...

The can is pretty powerful at making a mist... a fine mist that stays aloft for quite some time...

The fine mist gets on everything... once it lands, it spreads...

Once it spreads... it finds cracks, crevices, and rivets...

Once it creeps up into rivets...it shows up on the other side....

I think one can was used on my M20C each time... every other year.

It is good to have experience before discharging a can of CorrosionX in your plane...

There are some things that are sensitive to the creepy stuff..... :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Do you cover anything before spraying? I heard that the servos don't like to be sprayed.

Anything electronic in the tail... wrapped and double bagged... until the mist clears... anything with a clutch won’t work right if exposed...

The stuff is invasive as it has skills to creep...

Read the instructions... it will be too late once you release the genie....  :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic..

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

• 1 year later...