Corrosion X sprayer

isaacpr7

Hey guys,

I will be coming up on an annual soon and I would like to treat with corrosion x while the plane is de-paneled. I would like to buy a good sprayer to apply the treatment but they start at the mid 700s. Does anyone know of a similar sprayer that can be used to apply the treatment without breaking the bank? It would have to be a sprayer that atomizes properly into a fog so that it can reach every cranny.

• Like 1

I have the genuine compressed air pump in my shop. While it does a great job it's really best to use outdoors. If I'm spraying indoors I use a simple indoor plant misting bottle worth $3.00. For most areas it works fine, for closed structures like control surfaces you need the proper sprayer with long wands.

Clarence

I just use WD-40. The new cans have a spray/straw nozzle that can be switched, no mess. WD-40 is very popular in the marine environment for corrosion prevention and lubrication. It was originally developed for corrosion prevention in nuclear missiles. After all you do not want a rusty missile for your enemy, it gives a bad impression.

WD-40 background:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40 

José

• Like 1

I just use WD-40. The new cans have a spray/straw nozzle that can be switched, no mess. WD-40 is very popular in the marine environment for corrosion prevention and lubrication. It was originally developed for corrosion prevention in nuclear missiles. After all you do not want a rusty missile for your enemy, it gives a bad impression.

José

I thought wd-40 was frowned upon for aviation uses...attracts particles, dirt, tends to gum-up over time. My mechanics have always been opposed to it. Try boeshield, corrosion x or LPS -1 or 2 is what they always say...

• Like 1

José

I thought wd40 was frowned upon for aviation uses, attracts dirt, gets gummed- up over time...at least that is what my mechanics always say. They always have recommended boeshield, corrosion x or lps-1or 2

I thought wd40 was frowned upon for aviation uses, attracts dirt, gets gummed- up over time...at least that is what my mechanics always say. They always have recommended boeshield, corrosion x or lps-1or 2

In my experience, your mechanics are correct.

I believe any of the three you mention do a better job and last longer than WD-40 (days), which is an excellent cleaner.

ACF-50 is my choice for long term corrosion protection.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Mike,

Thank you for that link. I tried every type of search to find something like that and nothing came up. I went ahead and purchased the 5 gallon one from the link you sent me. 300 dollars sure beat the competition at 900 ;)

PS: If any mooniac flying close to my home base (KCKV) needs to use it, don't hesitate to ask.

I just bought a $20 old-school spray pot from my local hardware store. I've been using it along with my air compressor for years to fog my airplanes with Corrosion X with great results.

What a great idea. If possible, please take a picture and post it here so I can try to duplicate it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I finally finished de paneling the aircraft and when I opened the Corrosion X HD it was a heavy goo. Apparently there are two versions of the product. The one I got is not for aviation but it is sold at Spruce. I ordered the aviation specific one and hopefully I can get an ROMA for the other one; however, since it's special order I might be stuck with a $350+ 5 gallon container. I just wanted to post this so no one else makes this expensive mistake.

José

I have found ACF50 to be far superior to WD40.  Go do a simple test yourself, use WD40 on a piece of bare steel and leave it outside to remind you how well your plane is being protected….It won't take long to convince you.

Don

• Like 1

Other than anecdotal evidence, I've never seen a definitive proof that ACF-50 is significantly better than CorrosionX or vice versa. Both have been proved to be effective.

Aviation Consumer magazine did a review in March, 2012 and recommended both.

They did mention that CorrosionX is MILSPEC approved.

Seeing is believing. Check out the youtube video in action:

First, salt waters conducts electricity, that's why the strange behavior when under water. Second, corrosion isn't instantaneous process, a better test would be to some cheap metal parts and leave it exposed to the air. My understanding is ACF is waxy like, so it will probably stand up to direct exposure to rain, of course interior parts are not directly exposed, Corrosion X is supposed to seep into the crevices where corrosion would be hidden, so is more liquid like. In the real world I think C-X is the best choice for joint protection, ACF probably better to protect the inside sheet metal...JMHO
  • Like 1

Incorrect, ACF50 is not waxy, it's a very fine 'oil' and seeps into everything, even all the way through lap joints.  I've been using for 10 years now in my Seneca, we stopped 4 years before repainting (it prevents paint sticking), but back at it now.  Once it leaks all the way through (especially if you over-do it), it can accumulate dirt around seams.  I don't mind, because if it wasn't there, water would be seeping in and corroding.

Dinotrol is the corrosion inhibitor that sprays on like oil and dries to a waxy finish.  I use that on floatplane parts and other areas exposed to water.  Looks a bit ugly, but gets the job done.

Don

I have a full set of ACF spray equipment in Vancouver, BC if anyone local wants to apply ACF50.  The nozzles are designed to atomize the liquid properly, and the long ones allow you to get all the way in to a control surface, wing etc.  Most of them spray 45-90 degrees to the side, so for example if your access to an elevator is at the rear spar, insert the lance all the way in, point the nozzle forward, get ready, press the lever on full and withdraw at a fairly brisk pace.  Don't over do it.

I'm not saying 'homemade' systems won't work, but the factory system sure gives lots of access options, and sprays very fine drops.  It fogs the interior and the drops drift around like smoke.

Don

Mike,

I finally got around to spraying the entire aircraft today during its on-going annual inspection and I have to say that the sprayer you recommended is fenomenal. I filled the 5 gallon tank with about 2 1/2 gallons and I still had fluid left when I was done spraying. The nozzle and pressure combination atomizes the fluid extremely well. When I began spraying I had all the lower wing panels removed and I had to stop and reposition all panels until they were almost closed. I did this because the atomized fluid was escaping through every panel while I tried to spray the first one.