What would be your dream plane if you won a small lotto?

I haven't contemplated this question much but depending on the amount of lottery winnings, I think I might go for a Pilatus PC-12.

Hey Notar - what happend to the the Glasair III?

I will keep the Mooney, but PC-12 is it for me too. (Of course if I have money left over for the fuel :))

How about this thing:

http://m.controller.com/ListingDetail/Index?listingId=1236891&categoryId=2

An experimental modded Sukhoi SU-26 Russian aerobatic with a turbine installed giving it a power to weight ration of 1.6:1.  It claims, "Gross weight 2100 lbs. 

Thrust 3450 lbs. 
Thrust/wt. Ratio 1.6-Better than F-18 & Better than F-22 (Only exceeded by Space Shuttle)

7000 Feet/Min Climb Rate (From Sea Level To 18,000 Ft Is 2min 30sec)"

It would be fun to fly sustained straight up.  18,000 ft in 2.5 min - can our ears take that?  I'm willing to try....

I would pay off my debt and probably buy a nice clean 172 G1000 with a Diesel engine and use it to get my CFI and train people. Not sexy but being self sufficient and able to fly cheap and get paid doing it would be a dream to me.

Teach a man to fish... I like it!

I've thought about this and although a TBM or Pilatus would be nice, the fuel burn would burn through the remainder of the winnings. I think I'll just add some upgrades to mine (750 and adsb) and fly the heck out of it.  I thought about a new Mooney but then again the fuel burn would eat into my savings. Being retired, I don' t need the additional speed for the fuel burn.  Plus I don't think it would fit in my hangar.  My E has 3 inches of clearance on each wing.

BILL

Small Lotto:

Keep My Missile

RV-8/Similar

Aerostar/Cessna 414/421 (maybe)

Medium Lotto

Keep My Missile

RV-8/Similar

T-6

Aerostar/Cessna 414/421

Thunder Mustang (maybe)

Large Lotto

Keep My Missile

RV-8/Similar

T-6

Thunder Mustang

TBM/PC12/King Air B-200

Cessna 441/Piaggio Avanti II/King Air B250 (maybe)

CJ3 (maybe)

P-51D Mustang (maybe)

Really Big Lotto

Keep My Missile

RV-8

T-6

Thunder Mustang

Cessan 441/Piaggio Avanti II/King Air B250

P-51D Mustang

CJ3 (maybe)

A-26 Invader (maybe)

B-25 Mitchell (maybe)

B-17G Flying Fortress (maybe)

Helicopter (maybe)

Also, with the really big lotto I'd purchase the Bunny Mellon estate in VA that has a 5000 foot paved runway.  Or, I'll buy some land, put in a runway, build my own hangers, and sell off lots for the rest of the fly in community.

And, as indicated below, I'd hire 5 A&Ps and a crew for my Gulfstream that is missing on the list! 

-Seth

You're right. If he had, there should be a Gulfstream on that list. :)

No, you see I want to be PIC, and that would be an airplane I would need a crew.  Not that it would be bad to have a crew, but I still want the ability to fly myself whenever just me.  That being said, with an airplane that complex, maybe I should go with the crew.  I know I'll need it with the B-17, but that's just my fondness for the airplane.  Even the A-26 is a single pilot airplane!

-Seth

Small Lotto:

Keep My Missile

RV-8/Similar

Aerostar/Cessna 414/421 (maybe)

Medium Lotto

Keep My Missile

RV-8/Similar

T-6

Aerostar/Cessna 414/421

Thunder Mustang (maybe)

Large Lotto

Keep My Missile

RV-8/Similar

T-6

Thunder Mustang

TBM/PC12/King Air B-200

Cessna 441/Piaggio Avanti II/King Air B250 (maybe)

CJ3 (maybe)

P-51D Mustang (maybe)

Really Big Lotto

Keep My Missile

RV-8

T-6

Thunder Mustang

Cessan 441/Piaggio Avanti II/King Air B250

P-51D Mustang

CJ3 (maybe)

A-26 Invader (maybe)

B-25 Mitchell (maybe)

B-17G Flying Fortress (maybe)

Helicopter (maybe)

Also, with the really big lotto I'd purchase the Bunny Mellon estate in VA that has a 5000 foot paved runway.  Or, I'll buy some land, put in a runway, build my own hangers, and sell off lots for the rest of the fly in community.

-Seth

Seth you will need a really big hangar and you will need to hire 5 full time A&Ps.  Please put that in your "really big Lotto" budget.  :-)

When can I come visit?

• Like 1

Aaron, I like your idea of DER-modifying the plane to suit your whims and fancy. I especially like the sound of island-hopping. But why TKS? Ain't much ice down there, I've seen where the Jamaican bob sled team practiced, and the [wheeled] sled they practiced with . . .

Erik, for flying rights on the fleet, I'll help crew the -17. For room & board, I'll help keep them clean and shiny. But I've forgotten how to use a snow shovel, so you'll need to build hangars south of the snow line. See Aaron's post for non-TKS ideas.

• Like 1

Aaron, I like your idea of DER-modifying the plane to suit your whims and fancy. I especially like the sound of island-hopping. But why TKS? Ain't much ice down there, I've seen where the Jamaican bob sled team practiced, and the [wheeled] sled they practiced with . . .

Erik, for flying rights on the fleet, I'll help crew the -17. For room & board, I'll help keep them clean and shiny. But I've forgotten how to use a snow shovel, so you'll need to build hangars south of the snow line. See Aaron's post for non-TKS ideas.

It's ok, Seth and the rest of us are moving to a small Caribbean island that we will purchase with our "small Lotto" winnings, where we will build an 8000 ft runway (to operate our Gulfstream G650 and the rest of the fleet), and a cabana house for all of us to over see our fleet.

Can I add one of those James Bond rocket back packs to the winning booty?

It's ok, Seth and the rest of us are moving to a small Caribbean island that we will purchase with our "small Lotto" winnings, where we will build an 8000 ft runway (to operate our Gulfstream G650 and the rest of the fleet), and a cabana house for all of us to over see our fleet.

Can I add one of those James Bond rocket back packs to the winning booty?

I'd worry about corrosion being that close to salt water.  What if a storm came in and we had to "move" the entire fleet to keep it out of the way of a storm surge?  The Island may be nice for a few planes and a second location to relax and visit, but not for the mainstay of the fleet.  Yes, now we're talking two airstrips, one on the mainland in our Aviation Community, and one in the Caribbean on our personally owned island.

-Seth

A Pilatus PC-12 ....a new one please, ......that would be very sweet. There is one in my hangar and I have a bit of airplane envy. Good speed, lots of room, good short field, sort of handles like a Mooney....I'm going to have to go back to work or start buying those lotto tickets today!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...