Oxygen bottle hydrostatic test frequency

Geoff

12 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Most of what you found is not oxygen compatible. O2 at 2000 PSI will react with just about everything. The compressor must be made out of steel with Teflon rings and no oil.

The compressor only moves air into one side of the accumulator, the other side of the accumulator sees O2.   The plumbing between the concentrator and accumulator and the storage tank need to be O2 compatible, but that's doable.   Since only one side of the accumulator needs to be oxygen compatible, a diaphragm accumulator might be best, with the O2 on the air side of the diaphragm.  But, yeah, I  haven't researched it further than that.    Making sure everything on the O2 side of the accumulator is hunky-dorry would be necessary.

Edited by EricJ

Just now, EricJ said:

The compressor only moves air into one side of the accumulator, the other side of the accumulator sees O2.   The plumbing between the concentrator and accumulator and the storage tank need to be O2 compatible, but that's doable.   Since only one side of the accumulator needs to be oxygen compatible, a diaphragm accumulator might be best, with the O2 on the air side of the diaphragm.  But, yeah, I  haven't researched it further than that.    Making sure everything on the O2 side of the accumulator is hunky-dorry would be necessary.

Sounds slow and complicated. But it should work, just make sure the diaphragm is clean and oxygen compatible. I’ve heard that high pressure oxygen fires can be wicked.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, EricJ said:

But, yeah, I  haven't researched it further than that.    Making sure everything on the O2 side of the accumulator is hunky-dorry would be necessary.

If you look at those o2 concentrators, the compressor section is air only (both sides).  and the nitrogen is extracted via a sieve tank.  leaving the o2 and other products in smaller amounts.   

https://www.oxygenconcentratorstore.com/reference-material/how-concentrators-work/

From what I have seen, Haskel is the main player in this market.    You just search and wait for a used one to show up...   at around 2AMU, that is a lot of o2 bottles per year I would have to consume.  

• Like 1