Oxygen bottle hydrostatic test frequency

Geoff

• 4 years later...
On 10/13/2014 at 6:38 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

Unless there is an ICA for the bottle there is no FAA requirement to do it. Unless the bottle is used in interstate commerce the DOT can't do anything to you.

All that being said the FBO may not fill it.

If you are filling it yourself, do whatever makes you happy.

How would I know if there's an ICA for the bottle in my plane (a 1998 Encore)?

Elasticity of bottles changes over time... based on number of cycles and the pressure that it endures... as the materials stretch and harden... with use.

hydrostatic testing is essentially a measurement of the bottle’s elasticity... That is why there are different limits for steel, aluminum, or composite...

You could fill your bottle without anyone knowing it, forever...

But...

your forever, may not be the same as somebody else’s forever... :)

kind of sounds like an unknown risk...

the unknown risk can be eliminated by proper testing of the bottle... or following the proper guidelines for born on dating...

Jerry posted links to the limits of various bottles above...

Every now and then Jimmy sets up a group buy of new O2 bottles for Mooneys...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic.

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, bcbender10 said:

How would I know if there's an ICA for the bottle in my plane (a 1998 Encore)?

I would contact the manufacturer of the bottle. It should have a label. It is most likely a Scott/zodiac bottle. After you find the part number, their website will most likely have the ICA information.

Interesting topic-

For Part 91 operations it may be a moot point as the only real requirement that has to be done is if it is contained in the "Airworthiness Limitations" section of the Flight Manual (as in Cirrus manuals like their chute repack at 10 years). ICAs really have no bearing unless they are connected with an AD. Now, is it a good idea to have it checked in time, probably yes. 

The DOT regulates all pressure vessels in airplanes and the FAA bows to them on when and how to check them. But then again, in reality, unless your IA insists at annual time, or a Repair Station won't sign off on it or the FBO won't fill it, the Feds are probably never going to see it. 

If you're a 135 operator that's a horse of a different color altogether. 

This makes it clear as mud:

http://fsims.faa.gov/wdocs/8900.1/v03 tech admin/chapter 57/s_03_057_001.htm

It seems to say that if the cylinder is permanently installed, you don’t have to remove it for CFR 49 (hydro) tests. The only time it must be removed is when it exceeds its life limit.

4 minutes ago, DAVIDWH said:

Anyone happy with a portable system?  ie: Sky-Ox et.

Lots of people use portables of varying configurations.   I have a D bottle with basic plumbing that I take if I think I'm going to need it, but stays home most of the time.   I'm trying to figure out a way to modify a used concentrator so I can refill it myself.  ;)

I test my mountain high steel bottle once every 5 years (once so far).  Use it mainly during return flights from west to east or south to mid atlantic when solo to get a tailwind push.  Again, only a handful of times per year.

A dive shop near FDK performed the test for me.

-Seth

35 minutes ago, Seth said:

I test my mountain high steel bottle once every 5 years (once so far).  Use it mainly during return flights from west to east or south to mid atlantic when solo to get a tailwind push.  Again, only a handful of times per year.

A dive shop near FDK performed the test for me.

-Seth

I'm pretty sure MH uses aluminum bottles?

Most gas shops will require the hydrotesting be done every 5 years on aluminum cylinders if they are going to fill them, but it's only about $25

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

Lots of people use portables of varying configurations.   I have a D bottle with basic plumbing that I take if I think I'm going to need it, but stays home most of the time.   I'm trying to figure out a way to modify a used concentrator so I can refill it myself.  ;)

You must have a monster air compressor! :blink:

10 hours ago, EricJ said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/INVACARE-HOMEFILL-II-AIR-COMPRESSOR-SYSTEM-MULTI-STAGE-COMPRESSOR-TRANSFER-LINES/362726630191?_trkparms=aid%3D1110001%26algo%3DSPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20160323102634%26meid%3D8202f0226d7a49ee8600b17f43a24cd5%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D362745913576%26itm%3D362726630191%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Nice.    Search Amazon for "paintball compressor" and you get all kinds of stuff from $50 hand pumps to cheap powered pumps that go up to 4500 psi.   Let a concentrator fill up one side of a repurposed hydraulic accumulator with pure O2 and then use a paintball compressor to force it into a storage tank, repeat until the tank is full at 3000 psi.   The only really hard part of this is finding a cheap used concentrator.

14 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

This makes it clear as mud:

http://fsims.faa.gov/wdocs/8900.1/v03 tech admin/chapter 57/s_03_057_001.htm

It seems to say that if the cylinder is permanently installed, you don’t have to remove it for CFR 49 (hydro) tests. The only time it must be removed is when it exceeds its life limit.

Not quite... it says that you don't have to remove it or INOP it... but you can't refill it.  

A4: A cylinder that is past the date when its 49 CFR-required requalification is due may not be installed, serviced, or refilled until it has been requalified by a person authorized under the appropriate provisions of 49 CFR.

So, if you go over hydro, you don't have to remove it, you can use it until it is empty, but you can't refill it. 

These seem to be the general go-to  02 booster pumps.. 

https://www.divegearexpress.com/haskel-mini-sport-booster?gclid=CjwKCAjwk93rBRBLEiwAcMapUUG-hZBPijWuUqEIR2Ss7FUVqrMazmXcjkaxEvjmzI3WjotN18oCGBoCNdQQAvD_BwE

I just use a 2 tank cascade..  2-3 fills from a new o2 bottle @ $45. for the 115cf factory bottle. 

Edited by PaulM

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

Nice.    Search Amazon for "paintball compressor" and you get all kinds of stuff from $50 hand pumps to cheap powered pumps that go up to 4500 psi.   Let a concentrator fill up one side of a repurposed hydraulic accumulator with pure O2 and then use a paintball compressor to force it into a storage tank, repeat until the tank is full at 3000 psi.   The only really hard part of this is finding a cheap used concentrator.

That sounds totally ghetto.

I like it :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

Most of what you found is not oxygen compatible. O2 at 2000 PSI will react with just about everything. The compressor must be made out of steel with Teflon rings and no oil.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, PaulM said:

Not quite... it says that you don't have to remove it or INOP it... but you can't refill it.  

A4: A cylinder that is past the date when its 49 CFR-required requalification is due may not be installed, serviced, or refilled until it has been requalified by a person authorized under the appropriate provisions of 49 CFR.

So, if you go over hydro, you don't have to remove it, you can use it until it is empty, but you can't refill it. 

These seem to be the general go-to  02 booster pumps.. 

https://www.divegearexpress.com/haskel-mini-sport-booster?gclid=CjwKCAjwk93rBRBLEiwAcMapUUG-hZBPijWuUqEIR2Ss7FUVqrMazmXcjkaxEvjmzI3WjotN18oCGBoCNdQQAvD_BwE

I just use a 2 tank cascade..  2-3 fills from a new o2 bottle @ $45. for the 115cf factory bottle. 

I have a Haskel. I can fill my bottle with 200 PSI in my storage cylinder. It just takes a while.